C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Advice on First AMG Purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Advice on First AMG Purchase

I am finally thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2013 C63 AMG. It has almost every option that matters to me and the black on black looks nice. I was hoping to get a few opinions as to whether the price makes sense and also what others suggest I need to do as "homework" to make sure the car does not have any unseen problems.

The car has 23,000 miles on it. Looks to have been purchased in July 2013 which means it should have just under two years remaining balance on warranty. Sticker price shows just under $73k and I have gotten the seller down to $44k.

So what are some thoughts on this car? How can I be (almost) certain there are no major problems that I should be aware of? Any other words of wisdom from other c63 owners?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
See if the seller will let you take it to a MB to get it looked over, that would be the for sure way. Besides that, there really isn't any issues to look out for besides normal/basic car buying common sense. Just make sure it runs, sounds fine, tire wear, any knicks dings etc. 44k is an outstanding price for a 2013 with that mileage.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 C63 AMG "Edition 507" Coupe
maybe it's a good idea to check the VIN
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...in-decode.html
Old 09-16-2015, 11:42 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Thanks for the VIN decode link...request made. I was also able to see the window sticker so I am not so much worried about the installed options/specs but just want to be sure I am aware of any mechanical issues.

Some things that I have noticed, and maybe am just not familiar enough with the face-lift W204 area:
-I cannot for the life of me get the DRLs to come on. It has the lighting package and everything seems to be in working order. Is there some magic switch to enable them? I have tried all of the lighting options through command.
-The steering metallic looking trim on the steering wheel appears to be sun-damaged and is starting to ripple and peel on the top part. I was thinking this should be a simple warranty repair. Should I mention this to the dealership during my PPI (assuming I do a PPI)?
-The car seems fine mechanically and the engine looks to be pristine (and not just wiped down for a sale). However I do not know enough about what to listen/feel for in a 63.
-The driving mode knob has the RS text at the 6:00 position but the knob will not spin to that position. After test-driving and not knowing how to use it I have researched the complicated steps to enable it. But from my recollection the knob will not spin to RS position so how would this be enabled? Is RS even an option or is it standard?
-The car does not have distronic. Which is the only let down IMO.

Thanks again for any advice. Also, what kind of mpg average can I realistically expect out of this beast? I know the sticker say 13/18 avg 15 but are those numbers based on granny driving (I don't intend to beat the hell out of it on a daily basis but I am not a slow driver either).
Old 09-16-2015, 04:40 PM

2013 C63 AMG
So I have done more research and was able to find out the dealership that the previous owner performed maintenance. I contacted them and the associate informed me that she remembered the car and the owner. Said that the car was always very well maintained and that there were never any issues. She informed me that the owner once brought the car in because he thought it was consuming oil; they checked and found no problems. At 19k miles the dealership suggested that the rear brakes and rotors be replaced (but they were not and I would need to replace soon).

Other than that the vehicle was a lease and the previous owner had the prepaid maintenance plan. The Autocheck history is clean and shows only one previous owner. With a confirmed warranty expiration date of July 2017 I'm thinking that the car checks out. There is also a remaining balance on the prepaid maintenance plan but I was informed that this does not transfer.

So I think I would be wasting money to pay $150 for a pre purchase Inspection. Any last thoughts on this deal? Sorry for the lengthy comments, I am trying to get as much input as possible from current owners. Exciting times ahead!
Old 09-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
14 C63 507
I have found a few 2014 for 47k with between 8-14k in miles... A lot in fl.Not sure where your at or If the year doesn't matter but if it does then you have more options but the price seems good.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu
So I have done more research and was able to find out the dealership that the previous owner performed maintenance. I contacted them and the associate informed me that she remembered the car and the owner. Said that the car was always very well maintained and that there were never any issues. She informed me that the owner once brought the car in because he thought it was consuming oil; they checked and found no problems. At 19k miles the dealership suggested that the rear brakes and rotors be replaced (but they were not and I would need to replace soon).

Other than that the vehicle was a lease and the previous owner had the prepaid maintenance plan. The Autocheck history is clean and shows only one previous owner. With a confirmed warranty expiration date of July 2017 I'm thinking that the car checks out. There is also a remaining balance on the prepaid maintenance plan but I was informed that this does not transfer.

So I think I would be wasting money to pay $150 for a pre purchase Inspection. Any last thoughts on this deal? Sorry for the lengthy comments, I am trying to get as much input as possible from current owners. Exciting times ahead!

Have seller warm car up to full operating temp let it sit for an hour stand under open hood have seller start engine listen for a rattle from the engine look up cam adjusters for what it sounds like that's really it with the facelift sounds like it was maintained rs can only be turned when car is full stop at operating temp
Old 09-16-2015, 07:03 PM

2013 C63 AMG
I have already test driven the car twice and I am fairly confident that there were no unusual sounds coming from the engine. Is there a common problem with the cam adjusters that I should be aware of? I found some videos of what the cam adjuster rattle sounds like but I couldn't hear anything out of the usual on my computer. Is it a prominent rattle or something that is barely noticeable?
Old 09-16-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 S63 AMG S and 2018 GLS450
Make sure you wear underwear
Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu
I have already test driven the car twice and I am fairly confident that there were no unusual sounds coming from the engine. Is there a common problem with the cam adjusters that I should be aware of? I found some videos of what the cam adjuster rattle sounds like but I couldn't hear anything out of the usual on my computer. Is it a prominent rattle or something that is barely noticeable?
It's prominent sound you have a warrenty though for two years you should be good https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/597717-anyone-got-wis-05-7211-camshaft-adjuster-diy.html
Old 09-16-2015, 11:49 PM

2015 C63 AMG Edition 507
RS mode can only be engage under certain procedures..
Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 PM

2013 C63 AMG
What about the LED running light issue. Does anyone have input on why they may not be turning on during the day? I have tried everything to enable them but with no luck. Am I missing something?
Old 09-17-2015, 12:06 AM

2015 C63 AMG Edition 507
LED width lamp?
Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
DRLs aren't enabled in the COMAND screen. They are in the driver menu on the cluster, and the light switch itself has to be in AUTO.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
DRLs aren't enabled in the COMAND screen. They are in the driver menu on the cluster, and the light switch itself has to be in AUTO.
Sorry that is what I meant. I checked all of the lighting setting options within the cluster and had no luck. And the lights were on auto too. I currently own a 2009 C350 so I'm familiar with the interface.

What doesn't make sense to me is if a fuse were out or something, the cluster would give a notification.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
good price good mileage and the dealer knows it was maintained well, i say go for it.
not a lot to worry about on the FL cars they took care of the headbolt issue with those.

best advise i can give if you plan on keeping it past the warranty(if still under manf warranty) is BUY A WARRANTY!!!

just one repair can pay for the cost of the warranty itself, trust me on this.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
For RS and other factors that might affect it:
- Make sure the wheels/steering wheel are straight.
- Make sure the car is warmed up some, oil/water temp.
- Make sure the car is in S+ or manual.
- Fully press on the brake (but not so it goes into "HOLD").
- Turn dial to RS.
- The screen will ask for you to confirm, pull the right paddle once.
- While keeping your left foot on the brake, press all the way down on the gas with your right foot.
- The car will begin to rev, release your left foot from the brake, enjoy the ride.
- If you let off the gas at all or turn the wheel, the car will take you out of RS.
- You can only old the gas/revs for so long, maybe for a count of 10, before it cancels.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:36 PM

2013 C63 AMG
So I went ahead and bought the car and I couldn't be happier! Ive already purchased/installed the Eurocharged tune and have developed a long, albeit costly, list of upgrades (call it my Christmas list).