C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Time for new front rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S

I was just told my 507 failed the Virginia inspection due to wear levels on my front rotors. I'm not exactly wanting to pay the $3200 for new rotors and pads at the dealer. I know the OEM set up is actually very good. I was thinking about going with the Racing Brake set up at the following link http://www.racingbrake.com/Mercedes-C63-AMG-Brake-Package-p/mb-irk-18.htm

Any recommendations or input?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX

Wow, already? How many miles and have you tracked your car a lot? Seems a bit early for the rotors to be below state inspection limits. Dumb question, but was the inspection performed by the dealer or an outside inspection station?
Old 09-21-2015, 10:22 AM

'16 CLS 63 S
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
Wow, already? How many miles and have you tracked your car a lot? Seems a bit early for the rotors to be below state inspection limits. Dumb question, but was the inspection performed by the dealer or an outside inspection station?
18500 miles. It was performed at dealer (I'm in the waiting line to have an independent inspection check now). I just got the car from shipping it from Germany. It has done several laps around the Nordschleife at the Nurburgring so I wasn't caught by complete surprise. The autobahn can also be tough when having someone pull into your lane.

My wife and are expecting our first kid in December and I had some other plans for the $.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX

Originally Posted by edwardsflight33
18500 miles. It was performed at dealer (I'm in the waiting line to have an independent inspection check now). I just got the car from shipping it from Germany. It has done several laps around the Nordschleife at the Nurburgring so I wasn't caught by complete surprise. The autobahn can also be tough when having someone pull into your lane.

My wife and are expecting our first kid in December and I had some other plans for the $.
Sounds like you've had some fun! I'm still surprised the rotors are below limits. Let's see what the indep inspection says. Worst case, throw on some regular, nonPP OEM fronts on there; I have P30 and was thinking to do the same, as they are a direct swap (of course, I am assuming your 507 is the same case.) This will be much much less, and won't eat into the money you had budgeted for your new kid. Congrats, btw!
Old 09-21-2015, 12:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
I'm looking at the exact same thing. Waiting for my mechanic to check whether my rotors will pass inspection/on their way out.

I thought of going Non PP OEM Fronts too, but...my car came with the P30 Package, it feels wrong to "downgrade", haha.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Would love to help you guys out with brakes

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-packages.html
Old 09-21-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
First off I would just take your car to a gas station for inspection and they will likely pass it. The Shell station next to my house is <10 mins in and out if there's no line.

If money is an issue I would switch to the regular C63 rotors and save a couple grand. The vast majority (80%?) of C63s came with them and they work just fine. $150 for regular rotors vs $750 for the PP. Take that extra money and spend it on your kid. You won't mind the ~10lbs of extra weight on the rotors. You can always get better rotors later.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
OP, as you are mentioning you are familiar with RacinBrake as an option. Here is a thread on their big brake upgrade kit, in case not seen.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...their-car.html
The RB rotors are indeed better than OEM (harder and you can replace the rings only/keep the hat), which reduces cost of ownership further in the long run.

Whether you want the same dimension as stock or the larger Black Series size, depends on what you want to use it for. The larger ones have spectacular stopping power, but cost more and are not compatible with 18 inch rims. I think also with the standard size RB rotors you cannot go wrong.

I personally do not get it, how folks can recommend to go with single piece rotors on a 6.2l displacement 3900 lb car. If you need to save a couple hundred bucks and do not care about drive performance, you probably have the wrong car. My humble opinion........

Last edited by Wobble64; 09-21-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts
2000 Acura NSX, 2012 C63 P31 (gone and not forgotten), 2015 C63 507
So just to clarify....

1) all AMG development package cars (P30, P31, P88) have 2 piece rotors

2) can we not buy just the rotor vs rotor and Hat. ....

3) is the price of $750 for rotor and hats or just rotor?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
Originally Posted by 95gsrturbo
So just to clarify....

1) all AMG development package cars (P30, P31, P88) have 2 piece rotors

2) can we not buy just the rotor vs rotor and Hat. ....

3) is the price of $750 for rotor and hats or just rotor?
1) The P88 sedan has regular rotors (and engine), as only the coupe has P31. P30 are true two piece rotors, P31 are more like "1.5" piece rotors in that they are dual cast - not held together by screws.

2) Mercedes does not sell just the rotor. Aftermarket companies do offer just the rotor for their own applications, but you have to buy their new whole rotor first.

3) The whole thing since you can't buy just the rotor part from Mercedes.

Originally Posted by Wobble64
single piece rotors on a 6.2l displacement 3900 lb car. If you need to save a couple hundred bucks and do not care about drive performance, you probably have the wrong car. My humble opinion........
Because EVERY C63 without the AMG development package (ie a good 80% of them) came with the solid 1 piece rotors? If it was that important to the car's design every C63 would come with them from the factory. The rears are also single piece on every C63. You know what's more ridiculous? Mercedes selling a 507hp car that didn't come with a factory LSD standard.

Last edited by realjones88; 09-21-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, the 750$ would buy you one OEM 1.5 piece rotor via mailorder, or 2 replacement rotor rings from an after market 2 piece vendor like RacingBrake.

Agree on the LSD - but that was just a way to keep the list price down I guess. LSD was the first option I asked about when test driving.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:25 PM

'16 CLS 63 S
Update: I did pass the inspection at a gas station inspection station. I don't plan on driving the car much between now and next spring, nor will I will be doing any track days so the current brakes will safely last me until that time.

I will definitely be looking into the racing brake set up at that time as I like how I can upgrade all four corners for less (standard) or only $1,000 more for the larger/BS size. I'm thinking Fathers' Day Present.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:36 PM

W204 C63
Does anybody have any insight on the Racing Brake option vs the Girodiscs? Both very well known companies, with it essentially being the same price either way for their "Stage 2" Packages anyways.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
Hi Edward, how do you find the Eurocharge tune in your 507? Do you notice the power improvements?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:57 PM

'16 CLS 63 S
Originally Posted by oggie
Hi Edward, how do you find the Eurocharge tune in your 507? Do you notice the power improvements?
It is hard to say if I notice the power improvements. It definitely feels faster, but that could be due to adjusted response to throttle input and the extra noise during shifts. Main reason I got the tune was to get rid of the electronic speed governor while living in Germany.

I currently have the tune off as I need to get the US COMAND system and maps installed when the disc comes in and I revert it to stock whenever taking it to a dealer. I cannot wait to get the tune put back on though.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
why does your kit include ss lines tal? it's kinda of meaningless imo.

if i was looking for brake "kit" give me some decent pads, and some fluid. call it a day.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:34 AM

W204 C63
Originally Posted by solekeeper
why does your kit include ss lines tal? it's kinda of meaningless imo.

if i was looking for brake "kit" give me some decent pads, and some fluid. call it a day.
The RacingBrake one also includes it. I've always done SS Lines when I'm doing my brakes. They're cheap, are they truly an upgrade? Hard to say, but I'm already in there, what's another 40 minutes to do some Lines?

I don't see anything wrong with going for SS Lines. I'm pretty sure Tal can deduct them from the package price if you don't want them also.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Regarding Girodisc vs RacingBrake: Girodisc only offers replacements for the front rotors, while RacingBrake also offers solutions for the rear, e.g. a larger rear rotor with Black Series diameter, but fitting to the stock parking brake drum on the C63. Also 2 different front rotor sizes.

If all you want is new brake pads, there are many more options including Brembo, Ferodo, Hawk, Pagid, Performance Friction and others.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 ML 350 Bluetec
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tal@ACGAutomotive
Would love to help you guys out with brakes

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-packages.html
Let Tal help you out, he did a great job helping me, giro disc rotors all round with Endless MX 72 pads, great combo, quiet, low dust and good stopping power. I swear, I noticed the reduction in rotational mass, you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
Originally Posted by Steve Richo
Let Tal help you out, he did a great job helping me, giro disc rotors all round with Endless MX 72 pads, great combo, quiet, low dust and good stopping power. I swear, I noticed the reduction in rotational mass, you won't be disappointed.

no, you did not.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990

Giant eye roll.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Regarding Girodisc vs RacingBrake: Girodisc only offers replacements for the front rotors, while RacingBrake also offers solutions for the rear, e.g. a larger rear rotor with Black Series diameter, but fitting to the stock parking brake drum on the C63. Also 2 different front rotor sizes.
Good point, RB offers a total brake solution beyond just parts replacement.

For C63 owners, other than just swap the rotor:

If you upgrade your front to 390mm (from 360) rotor, and rear to 360mm (from 330) your brake will be same as Black Series, yet you still retain your emergency brakes, because our rear rotor hats are custom made to fit C63's smaller drum.

If you just replace your front (keep as OE's 360mm) and upgrade your rear to 360 (from 330), you will have the same brake as E63 (pre 2010)

We made a similar offer for pre 2010 E63 owners to upgrade their front to 390mm (from 360), so to make E63 have the same brake as S63/S65

Upgrade as you replace is a sensible investment that's only available from RacingBrake.

Our 30 years experience in brake business and in-depth knowledge in metallurgy and US patented brake designs separate us from the competition.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 Competition Yellow Mica Mazda RX-7 and 2009 C63
Another option worth checking is Coleman http://www.colemanracing.com/Default.aspx. They built a set of rotors to my specifications for my Mazda RX-7 a few years ago I've been happy with. They have a form you can fill out with all the relevant dimensions and they will build them. I don't recall the cost but they weren't expensive. This would allow re-use of the hats. You'll need new bolts which they can supply if you know the size and thread pitch. Be sure to use some Loctite and safety wires though.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM

W204 C63

If all you want is new brake pads, there are many more options including Brembo, Ferodo, Hawk, Pagid, Performance Friction and others.
Hmm, ACG lists a Girodisc application for Front and Rear.

Yes, I did see that RB has offered a solution for the rear too to size it up to a 360MM. I'd love to run that, but then we're going from $2500 to $4200, and having to refinish the front calipers in addition to that too.

And, the problem with that is, is that Hong Kong has yearly inspections, and I'll have to remove and reinstall the OEM Rotors on the Front, as anything with an "Adapter/Bridge" on the Caliper won't pass.

That's why I was looking at OEM Sized 2-Piece rotors, which I know RB also has. Was just exploring more options!

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Good point, RB offers a total brake solution beyond just parts replacement.

For C63 owners, other than just swap the rotor:

If you upgrade your front to 390mm (from 360) rotor, and rear to 360mm (from 330) your brake will be same as Black Series, yet you still retain your emergency brakes, because our rear rotor hats are custom made to fit C63's smaller drum.

If you just replace your front (keep as OE's 360mm) and upgrade your rear to 360 (from 330), you will have the same brake as E63 (pre 2010)

We made a similar offer for pre 2010 E63 owners to upgrade their front to 390mm (from 360), so to make E63 have the same brake as S63/S65

Upgrade as you replace is a sensible investment that's only available from RacingBrake.

Our 30 years experience in brake business and in-depth knowledge in metallurgy and US patented brake designs separate us from the competition.
Is it possible to run 360MM Rear Rotors with the OEM Caliper? Drop the cost down without having to run the Black Series Caliper? But I reckon that would then require an Adapter/Bridge then no?

I mean, then that way I could run the 390s up front, and the 360s in the rear, but without having to pay extra for the BS Calipers and refinish too?

Interesting. I've heard that the MX72 Pads do make some noise, but I've heard great things about Endless.

However, I woudln't be surprised that you noticed the reduction in rotational mass. I myself have always done 2-Piece Rotors/BBKs on all the cars I've driven, and it does feel nimbler. I wouldn't say it's a "huge" difference, like lighter wheels, but it is slightly noticable.

Rotational mass, saving 28 Lbs of Unsprung Mass, is quite a big difference! It's like going lightweight wheels! But, AFAIK, because it's closer "inside" the car, and not as far out as the wheels, it's not "as" noticable.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by D3-AMG
Another option worth checking is Coleman http://www.colemanracing.com/Default.aspx. They built a set of rotors to my specifications for my Mazda RX-7 a few years ago I've been happy with. They have a form you can fill out with all the relevant dimensions and they will build them. I don't recall the cost but they weren't expensive. This would allow re-use of the hats. You'll need new bolts which they can supply if you know the size and thread pitch. Be sure to use some Loctite and safety wires though.
+1. AFAIK Coleman makes the annuli (rings) for Girodisc - at least they did a couple of years ago for my Porsche track car Giros. I too have replaced just the annuli using new bolts on existing Girodisc hats.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for new front rotors