Girodisc vs RacingBrake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55K, Black on Black. C63, Black on Black. SRT-10 NightRunner 363of400
Girodisc vs RacingBrake

Guys,

I've got one day left on my rotors before they need replacing. I'm going to upgrade the rotors to a 2 piece set up. As you know, I track the car fairly regular. If anybody has thoughts on something other than one of these two, I'm open to that as well. Thank you as always.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I've been looking into this myself a fair bit during the last month as my own rotors are now being subjected to track (ab)use. I am doing a track day in the C63 tomorrow with some more abrasive pads and two more track days next week, and while the rotors are still fine, I suspect I'll need to get a set sooner rather than later.

The only other two-piece drop-in replacements that I've ever heard of for the C63 were the Evosport and BenzWorks (Hyevon?), but AFAIK neither of them is still in business and they both seem to have catered more to the "looks fast" as opposed to the "track abuse" market.

I've used Giros on my track rat P-car, and while they're very decent 2-piece rotors, the primary reason I went with them was that I could replace just the annuli with readily available Colemans (which I usually did twice a year). What concerns me the most in their C63 application however is that I don't know whether the OE emergency brake operation on the C63 is retained - if the rear hats are just aluminum you'd simply destroy them instead of stopping - so for me that could be a deal breaker. The RBs have a rear hat with a steel ring pressed in for this purpose, but I've been unable to find anything on the subject with regard to the Giros.

Between the two, the RB design seems more advanced from a theoretical standpoint - they allow for pad outgassing without cross-drilling, the vane design inside the annulus and the center-mount flange attachment appears to provide for better cooling and more even thermal expansion and heat dissipation, and lastly they publish the annulus steel hardness and balance the rotors, so on purely theoretical grounds I'd choose those between the two.

I haven't seen anythign along the lines of dba 5000 T3s for the C63, so unless you go aftermerket with a full AP Racing / Brembo / StopTech / Willwood kit including new calipers, AFAIK it's just the RBs and the Giros in addition to the OEM MBs.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS550
Learn from this in-depth discussion re track brake set up for C63

To All Who Track Their Car
Old 09-30-2015, 02:25 PM

RacingBrake, here is what I need:

I need a two piece rotor set up for the fronts that will allow clearance for the 18 inch rims so I can continue to run R comps.
Also, I need pads for the track. I beat the tar out of the car at the track 2 or three times a month.

Will you let me know pricing shipped to 29464 and can they be delivered by the 16th of October<>???

Last edited by Bigtickets; 09-30-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Originally Posted by Bigtickets
RacingBrake, here is what I need:

I need a two piece rotor set up for the fronts that will allow clearance for the 18 inch rims so I can continue to run R comps.
Also, I need pads for the track. I beat the tar out of the car at the track 2 or three times a month.

Will you let me know pricing shipped to 29464 and can they be delivered by the 16th of October???
I have full track packages for girodisc rotors as well if you are interested in those:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-packages.html
Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 PM

QUOTE=Tal@ACGAutomotive;6571484]I have full track packages for girodisc rotors as well if you are interested in those:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-packages.html[ QUOTE]

I'm all ears! Could you send me a quote on the above wish list including shipping?
Old 09-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Originally Posted by Bigtickets
QUOTE=Tal@ACGAutomotive;6571484]I have full track packages for girodisc rotors as well if you are interested in those:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-packages.html[ QUOTE]

I'm all ears! Could you send me a quote on the above wish list including shipping?
Absolutely, check your in box.

Thanks!