C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Battery Trickle Charger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Iridium Silver C63
Battery Trickle Charger

Hey guys, can a trickle charger be connected to the wiring harness under the hood (the one where you clamp booster cables on) instead of having to run an extension cord all the way to trunk where the battery is mounted? If so, which terminals under the black plastic cover do I connect the positve and negative leads from the charger to?
Old 10-12-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
None
I hope you're talking about a "Smart Charger" that will cycle in and off as needed. T(Constant) rickle chargers are outdated tech now.

Many chargers will have alligator clamps that you can just clip to the terminals under the hood - that's what I use.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Iridium Silver C63
I'll be using a CTEK 3300. I'm sure it qualifies as a "smart" charger. I will be installing the charger as part of the winterization Im doing to the car here in Alaska. I was looking for a more "permanent" and secure way of connecting it then using the clamps which may come off during driving and/or may not clear the hood when closed. I'm also installing engine oil and transmission fluid pan heating pads. All three will be connected to a 3-way extension cord that I will route out through the grill so I can plug it in when the car will be outside in -40 (or colder) weather for more than an a couple of hours. Hence, the charger needs to be connected to the harness in the hood instead of the battery otherwise I'd have to run an extension cord all the way from the trunk to the engine bay. Yes, it will look horrible with an electrical plug hanging out the grill but so does every single other car here in Fairbanks.