C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

What is the best suspension?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2018 E63S AMG Edition 1
What is the best suspension?

What is the best suspension for the street and track? I'm aware suspension has to do with mainly the handling of the car and can help you go faster on corners with a good suspension. Ive heard kw v3 coilers are one of the best options as they are a racier suspension than oem but I don't feel like paying 3 grand for them. My friend told me Fortune auto is a great suspension and it's only $1200 which is great compared with the kw. Has anyone else used them or have any feedback on this? Are they a lot better than stock suspension?? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
KW V3 is actually more on the "Softer" side of things. They're trackable, yes, but typically people find them a little on the softer side for a hardcore track-nut.

Granted, I have no experience with the C63, I'm only basing on my previous experiences on other cars with V3s.

Fortune Auto isn't bad, but, there's a reason why V3s are $3000 vs Fortunes at $1200. Are the Fortunes good value? Yes, but don't expect them to perform and ride like a V3. V3s, from my experience on other cars, ride like a dream. Very comfortable, but stiff too. Never crashy, never bouncy. It's tuned very nicely.

Honestly, if you're only tracking every once in a while, I'd go for the V3s. It's worth the money. Never cheap out on Suspension/Tires. It's something that can make or break your driving experience, IMO.

Bilstein PSS10s are also a good choice. I actually find the OEM AMG Suspension not that comfortable. The P30 is even worse, it's actually pretty damn stiff for an OEM Car. When my friend replaced his P30 with PSS10s, the ride got instantly better. It didn't feel stiff over bumps, but it still felt stiff when driving, hard to explain.

In short, if you're on a tighter budget, PSS10s will do, if not, then KW V3s.

I personally have KW DDCs sitting in my garage right now, they're V3s with Electronically Adjustable Dampening, so, I'll let you know how they feel when I pop them in next month!
Old 10-14-2015, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
If you want a mixture of street and track, KW V3.

If you want to go all out on the track, KW Clubsport.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
IM in the same boat as you but my choice will be bilstein PSS10 (B16
Old 10-15-2015, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Street and track, KW V3's without question. We are actually running a sale on all KW products. If you're in the market would be a great time to pick up a set:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6582911
Old 10-15-2015, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Hm. AMG.... "Best suspension" ... "Don't feel like spending 3 grand."

Right.

Just buy H&R springs. Here's why.

1. Fortune auto are garbage. Worse than a budget suspension, worse than OEM. And your buddy probably has them which is why they speak so highly of them.
2. There are only 4 options for suspension on this car IMO... H&R springs, H&R coilovers (for the budget coilover), KW v3 (AKA the right way), and air ride for a show stopper. Or just leave it stock.
3. Maybe the biggest reason. I doubt you'll track your DD the way you think you will. Unless your circuiting the car once a month then just buy the springs and be done with it.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, S55, 190E 16V, S600 Maybach, S550, GL550
for what its worth I have V3s and I wouldn't put anything else on a car. They're a perfect all around coilover and worth every penny. But I agree with purpleheart, if you don't want to spend a lot of money don't get cheap coils, you'll regret it in the long run.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Durban
for what its worth I have V3s and I wouldn't put anything else on a car. They're a perfect all around coilover and worth every penny. But I agree with purpleheart, if you don't want to spend a lot of money don't get cheap coils, you'll regret it in the long run.
Why would you go to such a stretch and say that? WHAT exactly would you regret? So, 90% of people that own this car don't track the car, even more so, don't track on a regular basis. So you really think that you will really use every ounce of your KWs while daily driving the car to Starbucks?

KWs will be an excellent choice for tracking the heck out of the car, but for owners who daily the car on public roads, H&R will be more than sufficient. They will lower the center of gravity on the car and be a better stiffer alternative

Just because you dropped $3K on your KWs for bragging rights on your way to pick up eggs and milk does not make it the end all do all suspension set up or the smartest thing...

Also, the black series comes with a KW variant because it is a full on track car. Placing H&Rs on a C63 for daily driving is a better choice than placing a 3K suspension on a car that you wont even use...unless it's just for puffing your chest. Just ask all the members who have them from here to Europe...
The following users liked this post:
DARRYL D (03-12-2021)
Old 10-16-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2018 E63S AMG Edition 1
I appreciate all the info guys. What exactly is the difference between coilovers and springs, are coilovers better? And would the H&R springs increase handling performance by a lot? i'm just worried about it being too lowered since I have a carbon fiber front lip installed.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Why would you go to such a stretch and say that? WHAT exactly would you regret? So, 90% of people that own this car don't track the car, even more so, don't track on a regular basis. So you really think that you will really use every ounce of your KWs while daily driving the car to Starbucks?

KWs will be an excellent choice for tracking the heck out of the car, but for owners who daily the car on public roads, H&R will be more than sufficient. They will lower the center of gravity on the car and be a better stiffer alternative

Just because you dropped $3K on your KWs for bragging rights on your way to pick up eggs and milk does not make it the end all do all suspension set up or the smartest thing...

Also, the black series comes with a KW variant because it is a full on track car. Placing H&Rs on a C63 for daily driving is a better choice than placing a 3K suspension on a car that you wont even use...unless it's just for puffing your chest. Just ask all the members who have them from here to Europe...
My man.... chill out. Not sure why you chose my post to go on a rant.

I didn't drop 3k on my KW's for "bragging rights". I dropped 3k on my KW's because they're the best and I *****PERSONALLY***** wouldn't put anything but the best on my cars. And do me a favor and don't act like you know me and tell me the only thing I'm using these for is getting groceries. I track the car and drive spiritedly whenever I take my C63 out. If you didn't notice, I have plenty of other cars to "go pick up eggs and milk" in.

I never said H&Rs were a bad coilover, they're just simply not as well made as a KWs and if you're going to argue with me on that than I don't think you've driven on them for a daily basis. The V3s are, from what I've heard, a better ride than the H&Rs.

This is a forum where everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This guy asked what we thought the best suspension is. I shared my own opinion. Theres no need to get so hostile and try to defend your own thoughts. Its a forum, take yourself a little less seriously.
The following users liked this post:
Eric Hoffman (08-28-2022)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Sam26
I appreciate all the info guys. What exactly is the difference between coilovers and springs, are coilovers better? And would the H&R springs increase handling performance by a lot? i'm just worried about it being too lowered since I have a carbon fiber front lip installed.
Picture the coilover as being the whole strut/spring and the spring is just that, a spring that goes around your stock strut.

You aren't going to increase handling performance by "a lot" in any route except for a dedicated track suspension setup. The car comes from the factory more capable than 99% can handle.

If you're worried about scratching your front lip I say leave your suspension alone. Why put coilovers on if you aren't going to track the car AND lower it? And why bother with springs if you don't want it lowered because you don't want to scrape a lip?

See what I mean? I'm just saving you money here...
Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sam26
Springs just replace the current springs on your car. Coilovers replace all of the suspension.

Springs are the "plug and play" option. They are a good choice if you want to lower your car on a budget. And are a good choice if you dont want to spend a a lot of money and get your car lower. They could also have effects on your suspension a while down the road.

Coilovers are more costly but give you more control over ride height and stiffness, depending on which ones you get. They will keep the car a lot more flat through the corners than spring will and will perform a lot better around the track.

If youre never going to track the car and want to lower it and dont have a lot of money to spend on this. Get springs.

But the real answer to your question "what is the best suspension" is coilovers. And in my opinion, KW V3 coilovers
Old 10-16-2015, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
After re-reading everything here, I'm still not sure what direction you are even going in here. So tell us, why are you even considering coilovers?

Going to the track? Want the car lowered? What is the end goal here?

Edit: I agree with durban. The "best" you're going to find is V3 for your car. But you "dont feel like spending" the money required to get there. So your best setup is the OEM setup.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Durban
My man.... chill out. Not sure why you chose my post to go on a rant.

I didn't drop 3k on my KW's for "bragging rights". I dropped 3k on my KW's because they're the best and I *****PERSONALLY***** wouldn't put anything but the best on my cars. And do me a favor and don't act like you know me and tell me the only thing I'm using these for is getting groceries. I track the car and drive spiritedly whenever I take my C63 out. If you didn't notice, I have plenty of other cars to "go pick up eggs and milk" in.

I never said H&Rs were a bad coilover, they're just simply not as well made as a KWs and if you're going to argue with me on that than I don't think you've driven on them for a daily basis. The V3s are, from what I've heard, a better ride than the H&Rs.

This is a forum where everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This guy asked what we thought the best suspension is. I shared my own opinion. Theres no need to get so hostile and try to defend your own thoughts. Its a forum, take yourself a little less seriously.

You didn't read a word I wrote....

I said clearly the KWs are the best choice for performance on the track. A dedicated track car like the BS comes standard with them.
For 90% of the owners of these cars, they will NOT track the car. So installing KWs for driving around town is super overkill. It's not necessarily about having the "best". If you are so bada55, and you only have the "best", why didn't you get a Porsche gt3? Exactly....because its too much for what you need.

H&R Springs are sufficient for many people who want a lowered center of gravity, a better spring than OEM, that don't need to go through the adjustment hell of KWs. It's not overkill for a daily driver on public streets where you wont experience much G forces or be going more than 90 mph.

Again killer, who wants/gets only the "BEST"...go back and read what I wrote. And I am super chill, having my latte this morning, enjoying the rain...

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 10-16-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
You didn't read a word I wrote....

I said clearly the KWs are the best choice for performance on the track. A dedicated track car like the BS comes standard with them.
For 90% of the owners of these cars, they will NOT track the car. So installing KWs for driving around town is super overkill. It's not necessarily about having the "best". If you are so bada55, and you only have the "best", why didn't you get a Porsche gt3? Exactly....because its too much for what you need.

H&R Springs are sufficient for many people who want a lowered center of gravity, a better spring than OEM, that don't need to go through the adjustment hell of KWs. It's not overkill for a daily driver on public streets where you wont experience much G forces or be going more than 90 mph.

Again killer, who wants/gets only the "BEST"...go back and read what I wrote. And I am super chill, having my latte this morning, enjoying the rain...
Haha i never said i was badass and i never said i had the best cars. I just said i wouldn't put anything but kw v3s on a sports car. Again, thats me personally. You should relax and think about what i said. Just a forum to share personal opinions, if you don't agree with mine ignore it and write your own post. Thanks.

Last edited by Durban; 10-16-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 C63 507, '11 C300, '96 Cobra, '91 Mr2
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
After re-reading everything here, I'm still not sure what direction you are even going in here. So tell us, why are you even considering coilovers?

Going to the track? Want the car lowered? What is the end goal here?

Edit: I agree with durban. The "best" you're going to find is V3 for your car. But you "dont feel like spending" the money required to get there. So your best setup is the OEM setup.
That's what I'm thinking -- doesn't seem like there is an actual need on the OP's part.

Stock damping is amazing on this car, especially the coupe. There is a very small percentage of us that will be able to exploit the additional performance provided by a V3-like suspension setup. But hey, to each their own $$$/opinion.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 C63 AMG (sold), 2006 M3 (sold)
if u just want to lower your car, get springs. If you want the feeling of a stiffer/ better handling and might track your car, get coil overs (if the cost isn't an issue also).

KW (v3 or club sports) and Öhlins make amazing coilovers
Old 10-17-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 C63 black series, 2015 C63 507 coupe, 2012 Porsche Cayman R 4.2L 404hp
These arguments are hilarious. You really think changing suspension will make or break your experience on the track driving a nearly 4000lb with skinny tires? Go spend some time on the track, do some driving events, when you get passed by a spec Miata driven by an expert you will understand it ain't the car that makes em slow, its the carbon unit behind the wheel. The best investment at the track is expert coaching....
Old 10-18-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by saildoc
These arguments are hilarious. You really think changing suspension will make or break your experience on the track driving a nearly 4000lb with skinny tires? Go spend some time on the track, do some driving events, when you get passed by a spec Miata driven by an expert you will understand it ain't the car that makes em slow, its the carbon unit behind the wheel. The best investment at the track is expert coaching....
I was going to go there but you beat me to it. The best money you can put into your car, is you. And tires.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:42 PM

It was only a matter of time before the storied "tighten the nut behind the wheel" argument surfaced. You guys will notice I side stepped going there...
Old 10-19-2015, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^^ I think it's safe to say that we are all assuming that the driver knows how to drive in these arguments.....just considering the suspension differences and scenarios...
Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
gt3 is not the best. gt3rsr
Old 10-19-2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by tpliquid
gt3 is not the best. gt3rsr
No. Spec Miata driven by an expert is.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Audi RS5
Every car that I have ever driven or ridden in that went with just springs has had a ride that for me was totally unacceptable in many ways, or in every way imaginable way. Crashy, bouncy (but usually more crashy than bouncy) and horrible on rough streets, and also with clearance problems and alignment problems. It is a solution that all about looks and not abut performance, no matter how people might want to rationalize it.

On a car this nice my advice is do it right (quality coilovers) or leave it alone. My car is stock and I wouldn't hesitate to track it that way. There are no prizes in HPDE anyway. I'd rather just enjoy the car and learn to drive it at its particular limit, since its going to be slower through the corners than lighter, true track cars anyway.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
I've modded a few cars in my past, and I've learned that cutting corners, buying things because they're a "deal", or buying things because they're "cheap", and I can't afford it right now, has never turned out to be a good thing.

Even buying used, certain things, after my experience, I won't buy used anymore, but that's another story.

Personally, if I'm going to lower my car, I would prefer to do it the "right" way, which is with a set of Coilovers. H&Rs are pretty good, I've owned a set of them on my previous cars before, but, when it comes to coils, KW is really cream of the crop in creating something that is trackable, yet still comfortable enough on the street. That's just my experience!