C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

For people that have a leak in their windshield wiper fluid system - with pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Alpha 9+4.2 GT-R > Caged 997 911 EVT750 > Noble M12 GTO-3R > 09' C63 > Xterra Off-Road
For people that have a leak in their windshield wiper fluid system - with pics

So I had this issue for a couple of months and finally decided to tackle it. Based on what I read and without digging in further, I was 90% sure it was the actual reservoir.

I went ahead and ordered it and my certainty increased to about 95% after looking at how thin and brittle these OEM reservoirs are.

Tacking the job is fairly simple. You have to remove the driver's side wheel and then gain access to the inner fender. You will have to remove the inner fender and you will be able to clearly see the reservoir.

I filled up the reservoir again to try to figure out where the leak was coming from and it became pretty clearly it was not coming from anywhere from the actual reservoir, but it is actually coming from a breather hole in the pump.

The reservoir itself is US$ 100 and you have to also buy 4 different rubber rings/gaskets/seals that go on the pump, a sensor, headlamp washer sprayer and fill router. These are about $ 20 for all 4.

So these were not going to do me any good. It was the actual pump and it had a leak/malfunction within. The pump itself is only $ 60 so it is better than the actual price of the reservoir.

This is what the pump looks like

The leak I was getting was from this breather orifice. It is supposed to be sealed internally - but in this case, it was leaking from there. You can actually see some moisture coming out of it.

The new pump I installed looked exactly the same, but I noticed the breather hole was considerably smaller - only about 25% of the size of the older one, and it was a lot narrower as well.
This is the new pump installed - you can barely even see the breather hole.

And this is what the reservoir looks like - this is the new part that I don't need now. This seems to be the part that fails most of the time. So, if anyone wants one, you can have it for $ 60 along with the washers. It is brand spanking new.

Hope this helps someone.

Angel
Old 09-13-2017, 12:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63 P31
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
So I had this issue for a couple of months and finally decided to tackle it. Based on what I read and without digging in further, I was 90% sure it was the actual reservoir.

I went ahead and ordered it and my certainty increased to about 95% after looking at how thin and brittle these OEM reservoirs are.

thanks for the

Tacking the job is fairly simple. You have to remove the driver's side wheel and then gain access to the inner fender. You will have to remove the inner fender and you will be able to clearly see the reservoir.

I filled up the reservoir again to try to figure out where the leak was coming from and it became pretty clearly it was not coming from anywhere from the actual reservoir, but it is actually coming from a breather hole in the pump.

The reservoir itself is US$ 100 and you have to also buy 4 different rubber rings/gaskets/seals that go on the pump, a sensor, headlamp washer sprayer and fill router. These are about $ 20 for all 4.

So these were not going to do me any good. It was the actual pump and it had a leak/malfunction within. The pump itself is only $ 60 so it is better than the actual price of the reservoir.

This is what the pump looks like

The leak I was getting was from this breather orifice. It is supposed to be sealed internally - but in this case, it was leaking from there. You can actually see some moisture coming out of it.

The new pump I installed looked exactly the same, but I noticed the breather hole was considerably smaller - only about 25% of the size of the older one, and it was a lot narrower as well.
This is the new pump installed - you can barely even see the breather hole.

And this is what the reservoir looks like - this is the new part that I don't need now. This seems to be the part that fails most of the time. So, if anyone wants one, you can have it for $ 60 along with the washers. It is brand spanking new.

Hope this helps someone.

Angel
Thanks for the write-up!

any chance you can fix the photo links?

ive got a windshield washer fluid light on, and when I fill it, it leaks out. Based on everything I've read about how common it is for the pumps to leak, I assume that's what t is.

thanks!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 167 Likes on 112 Posts
2009 C63 P30
Any way to fix the links? Before I started a new thread, I thought I'd post here. I too am diagnosing a fluid leak. I just purchased the car and the PPI tech indicated that there's a fluid leak from the reservoir but that's as far as they took their investigation. My question is, PART NUMBERS. When I put in the car onto all the usual part sites, there are like 5 different reservoir part numbers in various configurations with headlight washers, with heated washers, and without. My data card doesn't say anything about heated washers, but I think I have headlight cleaning system. Can someone opine as to which would be the correct PN for the reservoir and pump? Fixing the pics would be an awesome help. I understand the wheel removal and fender liner I think. But pics would be hugely helpful.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 353 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Those pics are done thanks to photobucket. I doubt the OP be will back to re-post them. Your local dealer or one of the online dealers will be able to use your VIN to get the correct part number for your car. Maybe OEDiscount parts or FCP Euro will be able to help you out at a better price.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/ or https://www.oediscountparts.com/part...?siteid=215242
Old 01-12-2018, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by Mort
Those pics are done thanks to photobucket. I doubt the OP be will back to re-post them.
Agree - OP listed his car for sale a year and a half ago and hasn't posted anything here since Oct '16.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:35 PM

2009 C63 P30
Got it. OK so forget the pics. What about any additional assist from folks who've done the repair? Can anyone chime in whether it's possible to find the PN on the reservoir without first disassembling the fender?
Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM

2009 C63 P30

Originally Posted by Crya
Got it. OK so forget the pics. What about any additional assist from folks who've done the repair? Can anyone chime in whether it's possible to find the PN on the reservoir without first disassembling the fender?
so it was not possible. Jacks up the car, remove wheel, remove plastic snap pins and a few 10mm plastic hex screws and finagle out the front fender liner. Removing the finder liner took the most time for me. Perhaps I was being too gentle but the car is new to me so being pretty cautious. I first inspected all the components and because the reservoir was bone dry there were no signs. I added about half gallon of water. And could immediately see it was the pump on the inner side of the tank and its grommet causing the leak. Wrapped it all back up and got the liner back on and parts ordered.