C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

WTB: Weistec Oil Separator

Old 11-27-2015, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
WTB: Weistec Oil Separator

Anybody maybe bought one and has it still lying around? I can help you put it to good use....
Old 11-27-2015, 07:05 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
I suspect a Weistec group buy would be well supported.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
I'm all in for a group buy.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
W463
Weistec is not interested in doing a group buy.
Best thing they can offer is free shipping to MBworld members.

Just ask for Alex and mention MBworld
Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by Ernst V Bauer
Weistec is not interested in doing a group buy.
Best thing they can offer is free shipping to MBworld members.

Just ask for Alex and mention MBworld
They actually did a GB for this item a little over a year ago. I think it coincided with the launch of it. I got one. Beautiful piece and very well engineered. I ended up selling it to another member on here.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:24 PM

W463
Yeah they have done it before but I don't think they are interested in doing another one.

They might be busy doing other major development projects. But who knows, maybe if they see an interest thread... they may change their mind.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Sent them an email last week. No intentions for a group buy or discount. I was able to get one for 10% off from another vendor during Black Friday.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Damn... I wish they remembered their days when they were working Mustangs and werent who they are today. Extending a group buy to us would get quite a few units sold and some new customers. Sigh...
Old 12-03-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P31 C63 Coupe, Honda NSX
It's a relatively simple part. Nothing else available?
Old 12-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
none
Originally Posted by HYPERTUNE
It's a relatively simple part. Nothing else available?
Nope... That's why I haven't pulled the trigger. Hard to justify $600 for an oil catch can... One could probably fabricate something similar, but I still don't know why others haven't attempted to make one. Even at half the price, there should still be reasonable margins for this type of part.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Catch can needed?

Does anyone have any evidence that we actually NEED an oil catch can on our cars? Thinking this might just be engine-bay bling? Everything I have read says that catch cans are much more useful in forced-induction engines where more oil may be forced into the PCV system due to high crankcase pressures. Am I wrong?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:24 PM

none
Originally Posted by mbcomer
Does anyone have any evidence that we actually NEED an oil catch can on our cars? Thinking this might just be engine-bay bling? Everything I have read says that catch cans are much more useful in forced-induction engines where more oil may be forced into the PCV system due to high crankcase pressures. Am I wrong?
These engines have quite a bit of blow back, even in stock form. I don't think it's a bad idea to have on a stock or lightly modded car.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by cornerjunkie
These engines have quite a bit of blow back, even in stock form. I don't think it's a bad idea to have on a stock or lightly modded car.

This is true. I have seen my intake manifold off the car and there was quite a bit of oil in there.

Sort of like the Weistec Pulleys. Do you need them? No but I have heard of a few MB OEM pulleys breaking due to being plastic. Some people want peace of mind.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
can ask 42 draft designs .com see if they can make a set. they make for audi/vw
Old 12-04-2015, 02:30 PM

W463
Great idea.

I wish there was one out in the market that has the look of OEM. No fancy -AN fittings, etc. Just a catch can, baffle tray some fittings and some rubber hose.

No sense of having a stock M156 with bolt ons and the only -AN fittings in the car being the oil catch can...
Old 12-04-2015, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,807 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Yes, it's true that you can use any catch can, they all do the same thing.

Try these:
https://www.goapr.com/products/catch_can_mqb_ea888.html
http://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-n54-baf...an-kit-07.html
https://www.radiumauto.com/Catch-Can...esM3-P298.aspx
http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-19...-e60-535i.aspx
http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/PCV-and-Catchcans/

HOWEVER, it's not the can, but these little fittings which replace the PCV valve that make the Weistec kit so expensive.

Solve for those fittings, and any catch can will do...
Old 12-05-2015, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I am told by my AMG tech (corporate MB dealership shop foreman) that all of the M156 engines he has seen "suffering" from oil buildup in the intake were on cars that were never run hard. Apparently a tank of half-decent gas and half a day at the track will perfectly clean it up from the six months of grandma-mode winter driving.

Even if you never track the car, once the oil fully warms up bring up the revs to 5K+ a few times now and then, and you'll burn it all off and blow it out the tailpipes. The old CLS, E and S63s with the M156 used to suffer from it a lot more because their drivers generally never took them past 2500 rpm, unlike us C63 "hooligans".

There's certainly no harm in having a catch can, but it's apparently far from essential if you properly exercise the motor now and then.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:58 AM

none
Originally Posted by Diabolis
I am told by my AMG tech (corporate MB dealership shop foreman) that all of the M156 engines he has seen "suffering" from oil buildup in the intake were on cars that were never run hard. Apparently a tank of half-decent gas and half a day at the track will perfectly clean it up from the six months of grandma-mode winter driving.

Even if you never track the car, once the oil fully warms up bring up the revs to 5K+ a few times now and then, and you'll burn it all off and blow it out the tailpipes. The old CLS, E and S63s with the M156 used to suffer from it a lot more because their drivers generally never took them past 2500 rpm, unlike us C63 "hooligans".

There's certainly no harm in having a catch can, but it's apparently far from essential if you properly exercise the motor now and then.
Sounds like we need to test this theory... For science.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
C63AMG Coupe 507, GL X166
I installed Weistec Oil Separator on my C63 507. I want to say Oil Separator it's a good mod! That's how much oil he collected after 1200 km...

Last edited by Alex-r-1; 12-06-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P31 C63 Coupe, Honda NSX

That AMG tech's theories are wrong. Clearing the oil buildup from the intake manifold by thrashing the car causes the oil to enter the combustion chamber which is exactly where you don't want it.

The reason you want an oil air separator is to make sure that when you do drive the car hard, there is no oil buildup there to be drawn into the engine from the intake manifold.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Gents - as HYPERTUNE stated above, driving the car hard will in fact cause the oil to go through the combustion chamber and burn up. What his statement fails to address though is that you're going to easily get twenty times more oil into the combustion chamber as a result of it getting past the valves and piston rings than you would through the PCV (even with a very healthy engine, you'll still go through a liter of oil during a full trackday - so maybe 300 km). Compare that to the ~50cc of oil in the pic that have accumulated in Alex-r-1's catch can over 1200 km, and I think you can draw your own conclusions about the usefulness of air/oil separator when the car is often driven under WOT and high RPMs. In other words, with the catch can you may reduce the amount of oil entering the combuston chamber by, say, 1/20th AT BEST.

Cornerjunkie - this was stated by someone who has serviced hundreds of M156 engines and is a racer himself, so I have absolutely no reason to doubt his statement. He is certianly mod-friendly, but oil vapours getting through the PCV was nowhere near the top of the list of things to "address and/or watch out for" when tracking a M156 engined car. The first thing he said to me before I ventured out for my first track session in the C63 was "don't top up the oil past the halfway mark on the dipstick - it will foam up too much". The second was "I will gladly install the catch can for you right now if you want (I had it with me at the track), but it won't make one iota of a difference". Seeing as MB corporate sent him out in a support capacity for myself and another gent that had the 44O enhanced cooling packages installed and our clutch bite / shift point adaptations redone (which he tweaked trackside), I have no reason whatsoever to doubt his statement.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
In other words, with the catch can you may reduce the amount of oil entering the combuston chamber by, say, 1/20th AT BEST.
After having the O/A Separator for 3+ years I'd say it's more like 1/5th. Is it worth the cheese? Dunno...
Old 12-06-2015, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I had my blower off and have been running the separator since it was installed, there was no oil in the intake.

When I took the stock intake off, oil residue all over it. Think there was a small puddle of oil on the ground after it sat there for a bit.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jasonoff & Merc63 - I am talking about the Weistec - or any other - OAS as it relates to oil consumption and possible build-up during hard (track) use. In daily street driving, it is definitely a useful add-on.

Merc63 - I would be curious to know how much oil residue you'd get after the S/C installation but without the catch can. Seeing as you're running forced induction, I'm willing to bet your intake would be bone dry even without it because of the S/C. As I said, you take a M156 motor WITH some oil residue on the intake, you run it hard for a while, and when you take the intake off again the oil residue is gone as it has all been sucked in through the combustion chamber. While you're running the engine hard though, the amount of oil that gets in your combustion chamber through the PCV is negligible compared to the amount of oil that gets there through other ways, so for cars that are regularly driven hard, it makes very little (if any) difference. For vehicles that are driven on the street (at low engine speeds) all of their life, it makes considerably more sense to get one.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:29 PM

none
Gents - as HYPERTUNE stated above, driving the car hard will in fact cause the oil to go through the combustion chamber and burn up. What his statement fails to address though is that you're going to easily get twenty times more oil into the combustion chamber as a result of it getting past the valves and piston rings than you would through the PCV (even with a very healthy engine, you'll still go through a liter of oil during a full trackday - so maybe 300 km). Compare that to the ~50cc of oil in the pic that have accumulated in Alex-r-1's catch can over 1200 km, and I think you can draw your own conclusions about the usefulness of air/oil separator when the car is often driven under WOT and high RPMs. In other words, with the catch can you may reduce the amount of oil entering the combuston chamber by, say, 1/20th AT BEST.

Cornerjunkie - this was stated by someone who has serviced hundreds of M156 engines and is a racer himself, so I have absolutely no reason to doubt his statement. He is certianly mod-friendly, but oil vapours getting through the PCV was nowhere near the top of the list of things to "address and/or watch out for" when tracking a M156 engined car. The first thing he said to me before I ventured out for my first track session in the C63 was "don't top up the oil past the halfway mark on the dipstick - it will foam up too much". The second was "I will gladly install the catch can for you right now if you want (I had it with me at the track), but it won't make one iota of a difference". Seeing as MB corporate sent him out in a support capacity for myself and another gent that had the 44O enhanced cooling packages installed and our clutch bite / shift point adaptations redone (which he tweaked trackside), I have no reason whatsoever to doubt his statement.
It was just a joke.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTB: Weistec Oil Separator