C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Alcantara wheel issue

Old 01-20-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Alcantara wheel issue

So it seems alcantara on my steering wheel is flaking off. I have never seen or heard of this. It feels as if the left hand side is worn down/burnt. It feels very uncomfortable against the hand but the right side is still mint. Tried Sonax alcantara cleaner and the left still feels like if someone burnt hairs and shaved some of it. It is very odd. Do you believe Mercedes would warranty this? Its so rough on the bad side. Like coarse sand paper. Hard to describe.

If anyone has remedied this please let me know how. I would love if it were something easy to fix and I used to detail cars for a business and Sonax was my go to for alcantara. Never had any alcantara feel like this though. Feels like it is missing a lot of fiber and is in clumps.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clk Dtm c63 bs u wont wanna know the rest
Originally Posted by ENV˛
So it seems alcantara on my steering wheel is flaking off. I have never seen or heard of this. It feels as if the left hand side is worn down/burnt. It feels very uncomfortable against the hand but the right side is still mint. Tried Sonax alcantara cleaner and the left still feels like if someone burnt hairs and shaved some of it. It is very odd. Do you believe Mercedes would warranty this? Its so rough on the bad side. Like coarse sand paper. Hard to describe.

If anyone has remedied this please let me know how. I would love if it were something easy to fix and I used to detail cars for a business and Sonax was my go to for alcantara. Never had any alcantara feel like this though. Feels like it is missing a lot of fiber and is in clumps.

Just go get a re wrap.
Wouldn't cost much
Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mc81b
Just go get a re wrap.
Wouldn't cost much
Was thinking that but the car is under warranty so I was wondering if MB would cover it. It feels and sort of looks like this

Old 01-20-2016, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by ENV˛
Was thinking that but the car is under warranty so I was wondering if MB would cover it. It feels and sort of looks like this

I am not sure they will fix it under warranty but worth a try. I have also read that light sandpaper or a sweater shaver works great for those fuzzies as well.

Last edited by INS1GNIA; 01-20-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
The one reason why Alcantara steering wheels shouldn't be used for daily driving. Warm water and a shaver will smoothen the surface. But eventually you will see worn areas down to the leather surface.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Kriston
The one reason why Alcantara steering wheels shouldn't be used for daily driving. Warm water and a shaver will smoothen the surface. But eventually you will see worn areas down to the leather surface.
Yes I think that there are a small few areas down to leather. Look "shinier" than the rest of the alcantara area.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black C63 507 Coupe
I have a 507 coupe for the last 2 years, and I have had to keep my hands clean while driving it, and so far hasn't been an issue. I would recommend using the cleaner every day at the end of the day for a few days in a row with a microfibre cloth.

Try dabbing and twisting lightly, and it will eventually clean it up. I would suggest keeping it clean on your cars from day 1!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 507AX
I have a 507 coupe for the last 2 years, and I have had to keep my hands clean while driving it, and so far hasn't been an issue. I would recommend using the cleaner every day at the end of the day for a few days in a row with a microfibre cloth.

Try dabbing and twisting lightly, and it will eventually clean it up. I would suggest keeping it clean on your cars from day 1!
Maybe you could just wear a glove while driving.
LOL
Old 01-20-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
W463
Any time there is any "oil" from natural body oils, lotion.

You tend to smear the the suede away down the the bare leather. Always have your hands clean and dry when driving without gloves.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
It is best to tend to this issue before it gets this bad. A damp microfiber cloth to clean in small circular motions and then fluffing up the fibers with a toothbrush. You may want to try this method but being very gentle. The material is actually fairly durable if it is taken care of.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Agreed, but the alcantara over time deteriorates much quicker then leather. I had the displeasure of owning an Alcantara wheel in my BMW and as much as I was careful with it, I couldn't stand the signs of wear on it, especially after spending so much on an M performance wheel.

Originally Posted by jmueller
It is best to tend to this issue before it gets this bad. A damp microfiber cloth to clean in small circular motions and then fluffing up the fibers with a toothbrush. You may want to try this method but being very gentle. The material is actually fairly durable if it is taken care of.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
I used Suede & Nubuck cleaner on my steering wheel but with a hard-bristled brush (designed for cleaning suede/alcantara apparently - it has the rubber bristle brush on the other side of it) and ended up causing similar damage to one side of my wheel. The advisor at my local parts store recommended that I use such a brush. On the other side of the wheel, i used a damp cloth and it worked a treat - all of the grime and crap had completely gone and it feels so nice and fluffy and clean now...the other side is clean now too, but it feels rough and a bit rubbish. I'm going to try giving it a few more rounds with the cleaner solution, warm damp microfibre and rubber brush/tooth brush to see if it can be restored. I'd hate to have to get it re-trimmed on the technicality of bad advice...ahem...
Old 01-21-2016, 11:52 AM

Is it really worth the effort?
Why not just buy a new steering with leather instead of alcantara.
Alcantara have very short life span.
Throughout the duration of owning my Aventador for 4 years,i changed 5 steering wheel and finally i decided to contact Lamborghini themself to custom built a one off steering for me instead of going alcantara.
I'm planing to do that to all my AMG as well.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
W463
The suede will rub off eventually no matter what. You can get a new wheel minus air bag or have your local shop re-suede it.

Best way to keep the longevity is to always wear driving gloves and the best grip feeling/longevity is using suede gripped gloves on suede steering wheels.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
I dunno man...tbh the 'good' side of my steering wheel (albeit now freshly cleaned) feels every bit as good as my friends steering wheel on his car. My car has just under 80k on the clock and his has 20k. If it wasn't for me making a mistake in using the harsh brush, I would say the wheel feels as fluffy and soft as new.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
I dunno man...tbh the 'good' side of my steering wheel (albeit now freshly cleaned) feels every bit as good as my friends steering wheel on his car. My car has just under 80k on the clock and his has 20k. If it wasn't for me making a mistake in using the harsh brush, I would say the wheel feels as fluffy and soft as new.
I have one of those brushes that you were talking about. You definitely have be extremely gently and use light strokes with it. Very easy to damage if you just scrub away lol.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM

Jag F-Type V8
Here is a little 'before and after' comparison on my P31 steering wheel. My car has 40k miles of sweaty Florida driving. On the right side of the steering wheel, you can see all 40k miles of the grime built up on it. Using the toothbrush and warm water microfiber method I mentioned, I got the result on the left side of the wheel. Also, a picture of the final result. Regarding the OP, my alcantera never got to the point where it was flaking off. It was just really dirty and compacted down. Now it is grippy and fluffy. It feels great and new.

The following users liked this post:
AronAZ (07-08-2017)
Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Here is a little 'before and after' comparison on my P31 steering wheel. My car has 40k miles of sweaty Florida driving. On the right side of the steering wheel, you can see all 40k miles of the grime built up on it. Using the toothbrush and warm water microfiber method I mentioned, I got the result on the left side of the wheel. Also, a picture of the final result. Regarding the OP, my alcantera never got to the point where it was flaking off. It was just really dirty and compacted down. Now it is grippy and fluffy. It feels great and new.

Great job jmeuller! That's the kind of proof I can believe. Not some auto parts guru talking voodoo.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 PM

Yea I used that brush you guys are talking about and it only made it worse. That is why its at the point it is now. Right side of my wheel is in pristine shape. Contacted my buddy who is my AMG tech he ran the VIN. Still under factory warranty. He ordered a new wheel for me. I think the last owner wore it down some. Ill take care of the new wheel from day 1.

Anyone use that stuff that people spray on suede boots that makes them deterrent to oils and water? That may work on these wheels.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY12 C63 P/P
Wow... that's quite a difference.

Do you use any particular cleaning product with the microfibre or just warm water and keep rotating to a clean part of the microfibre?
Old 01-21-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Oh wow, mine is like yours too JMueller.

Guess I'll give that a try tonight!
Old 01-22-2016, 02:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Coupe
Mine looked exactly like JMueller's but I used Sonax alcantara cleaner and it worked perfectly. I saturated the hell out the alcantara areas with the cleaner, then started blotting away with a microfiber towel til all the dirt and oil lifted. I let the wheel dry for 24 hours and then brushed it lightly with a suede soft bristle brush. Looks great now...
Old 01-22-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Glad I didnt get a alcantara re-wrap on mine..
Old 01-22-2016, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
I have one of those brushes that you were talking about. You definitely have be extremely gently and use light strokes with it. Very easy to damage if you just scrub away lol.
To be fair, I was actually 'gentle' with it, if you can even go gentle with such a harsh brush. Ahem....you live and learn I guess.

Originally Posted by Thrilla
...That's the kind of proof I can believe. Not some auto parts guru talking voodoo.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:32 AM

Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by Rate
Wow... that's quite a difference.

Do you use any particular cleaning product with the microfibre or just warm water and keep rotating to a clean part of the microfibre?
I used two fingers covered in a microfiber cloth and I would just move to a clean part of the microfiber when it got dirty. I also used two or three drops of laundry detergent in the bucket of warm water I used. The detergent helps lift the oils away from the alcantera fibers. After I felt like the alcantera was somewhat damp and clean, I dried it using another microfiber cloth and then used a toothbrush to fluff the fibers.

I also just leave the toothbrush in the car and fluff the fibers up a little every once and a while, when I think about it, at a long stop light. (I am sure the up-and-down movement of my arm looks ridiculous to other drivers).....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alcantara wheel issue