Tested the C63 W205 vs 204 vs BS vs W205 C63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clk Dtm c63 bs u wont wanna know the rest
Tested the C63 W205 vs 204 vs BS vs W205 C63S

Hi guys.
Finally i took the plunge and went to test drive both the C63 W205 as well as the C63S.
I brought both my Black Series and my Sedan down today to do a comparison between the 4.

Surprisingly,i would still have to rank the Black Series first in terms of handling/acceleration and drive feel but what it lose out on is the comfort in comparison to the W205 C63 but given it being a 3+ year old car,it still outperform the rest

Wow,what an amazing car the C63S is,the exhaust note can makes the W204 sounds like childplay,especially at low end (0-30).

What a totally different beast the car is i would say.
Now i understand what the journalist meant by 'softer and more demure than the previous 6.2L),acceleration from lower RPM before the turbo kicks in is pretty weak but once it does,it's a totally different story.
Comfort mode makes the car pretty forgiving over bumpy road as well as the drivability of the car with a longer wheel base (my missus was sitting on the rear seats) makes it truly appealing.

As for the comparison between the S and the base model,apart from the exhaust note and the adjustable stiff suspension,the power difference can't really be felt.
Now,AMG W205 has truly won me over.
Guess it's time to say goodbye to my W204 Sedan and welcome the W205.
Question is, S or base model?
With just 12k usd more for a S,especially when they have a ready stock in magno iridium silver with edition one spec,i find it hard to resist to say no!

Will share more pictures when i have decided to change on which one i would go for.

Just a note,the 4.0L bi-turbo does not disappoint,Now i truly am impressed.

The ride is nowhere as harsh as the Sedan with the P30/P31 package over speed bump and the interior is nothing but top notch compared to the 204.

Verdict :Most likely i will trade in my Sedan for a 205 and keep the Black Series.
Have the best of both world!
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 911S & 2013 E92 M3 CP
Thanks for the comparison. The C63 has always been my favorite MB, and really the only one I am interested in owning. Since I have not owned the W204 yet, and I LOVE the 6.2, my plan is to enjoy the older model for a year or so and then step up to the 205 coupe once new model pricing dies down. I am a huge and biased BMW fan, but the new C63 coupe blows the M4 away both inside and out (from what I have seen in pictures although I do think the M4 looks great also with the wide body and CF roof), and of course there is no comparison V8>I6.

Since you have great experience with the W204, how would you compare the throttle response of the NA engine vs the turbo in both standing start and rolling acceleration? This is very important for me as most turbo engines I have driven can not match the response of an engine like my current s65 v8 or previous s85 v10. Also how would you compare the transmission shift speed in the two cars. For me the transmission in the W204 is really the only weak point (maybe extra weight also but not a huge deal). I would be driving the car in pretty much 100% manual paddle shift mode.

Thanks for your comparison, and looking forward to pictures!

Last edited by C-A-T-S; 01-21-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by C-A-T-S
Thanks for the comparison. The C63 has always been my favorite MB, and really the only one I am interested in owning. Since I have not owned the W204 yet, and I LOVE the 6.2, my plan is to enjoy the older model for a year or so and then step up to the 205 coupe once new model pricing dies down. I am a huge and biased BMW fan, but the new C63 coupe blows the M4 away both inside and out (from what I have seen in pictures although I do think the M4 looks great also with the wide body and CF roof), and of course there is no comparison V8>I6.

Since you have great experience with the W204, how would you compare the throttle response of the NA engine vs the turbo in both standing start and rolling acceleration? This is very important for me as most turbo engines I have driven can not match the response of an engine like my current s65 v8 or previous s85 v10. Also how would you compare the transmission shift speed in the two cars. For me the transmission in the W204 is really the only weak point (maybe extra weight also but not a huge deal). I would be driving the car in pretty much 100% manual paddle shift mode.

For standing start the w205 tends to be a little slower but once it hits 1.4k rpm the power pushes the car (bi-turbo).
From rolling start i'm pretty sure the 204 does not stand a chance but maybe from standstill it still does (turbo kicks in)
I'm sorry but i have not heard of a S65 V8(unless you're not referring to a MB).
I personally had a E92 M3 as well as a M3 GTS,the M3 is really underpowered as compared to a C63 but the M3 GTS is a totally different monster altogether.
To be honest i would rate it better than the C63 Black Series but the ride is extremely harsh and unforgiving.
I have driven the car pretty hard with an average speed of 170km/h for the W205 and i did not notice any turbo lag.
To say that the turbo is slower in terms before 1.4k rpm(Rides like a c350) but given that it kicks in at 1.4k rpm it is pretty easy to achieve the power and it does not even feels like a turbo car.

You can actually compare the W205 to the Bentley that i have,torquey at higher rpm but not too much on the lower side (due to weight).

I am seriously considering trading up my W204 Sedan for the C63S.
Turbo engine has much more room for modification and power enhancement.
Not a fan of the rear spoiler(pretty small) but this can be easily rectified by some aftermarket products.

I am just one step away from doing so.

So if you're a BMW fan, BMW M3 E92 vs C63 base = C63 wins
M3 GTS vs C63 Black Series= M3 GTS wins
I have tested the M4 for a week and am not really a huge fan of it especially with the noise it makes(I'm a noise person) but the drive feel is marvellous.
You should consider going down to the dealer and get it tested and you will understand what i mean.

The unit i'm looking at is matte silver /Edition 1 spec with Carbon Ceramic Brakes(I had many experience with CCB from Ferrari/Lamborghini/Maserati/Mclaren) and i should say the CCB technology of today is totally different from the past,there is no such thing as screeching sound and not able to stop at cold start).

The car does not disappoint.
I am truly won over.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
the new C63 sounds like a$$ compared to the W204, i took one out about a month ago ..its a nice car but doesn't sound anywhere close to the w204 ..maybe you need a cat delete on your w204 because @ 0-30 its loud as hell at least mine is

not sure how you think the w204 will get completely raped by a new w205 lol ..maybe you need to do the Italian tune up on your w204

if a mustang will pull the new c63s then a tuned w204 will completely walk it ..its still a nice car though

turbos also have a chance to blow-up when you fiddle with the boost as well, I've been there / done that already with TT cars, don't think it's a 100% fool proof setup..it's not by a long shot

Just put a stage 3 blower on your W204 and call it a day and you'll beat any lambo/ferrari you meet on the street

you won't get anywhere near the same power out of a W205 without dumping 30k++ on new turbos and a new down pipe setup/inter cooler and the billion other parts it'd need to push 700hp or more

or just buy a 2015 E63S for the same price as a W205

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-21-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by avery.whss
the new C63 sounds like a$$ compared to the W204, i took one out about a month ago ..its a nice car but doesn't sound anywhere close to the w204 ..maybe you need a cat delete on your w204 because @ 0-30 its loud as hell at least mine is

not sure how you think the w204 will get completely raped by a new w205 lol ..maybe you need to do the Italian tune up on your w204

2015 Mustang GT vs 2016 mercedes amg c63 s - YouTube

if a mustang will pull the new c63s then a tuned w204 will completely walk it ..its still a nice car though

turbos also have a chance to blow-up when you fiddle with the boost as well, I've been there / done that already with TT cars, don't think it's a 100% fool proof setup..it's not by a long shot

Just put a stage 3 blower on your W204 and call it a day and you'll beat any lambo/ferrari you meet on the street

you won't get anywhere near the same power out of a W205 without dumping 30k++ on new turbos and a new down pipe setup/inter cooler and the billion other parts it'd need to push 700hp or more

Well maybe because i'm too used to my Black Series sound,it pretty much makes my stock C63 Sedan sounds like a Toyota
Old 01-21-2016, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
He can't supercharge his C63 W204 in his part of the world without having to pay a tax and having the government approval. So not worth it IMO.
Nice comparison. But I'm still not a turbo lover
Old 01-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by abcut973
He can't supercharge his C63 W204 in his part of the world without having to pay a tax and having the government approval. So not worth it IMO.
well that sucks!...didn't realize this OP, my bad, and I thought the Canadian Gov were a bunch of ****'s ..apparently not lol
Old 01-21-2016, 11:45 AM

2015 Mustang GT vs 2016 mercedes amg c63 s - YouTube

I already had the E63S.
It's a monster (though mine does not have the 4matic due to RHD).
I'm not saying a C63 W204 ain't good ,but why would i want to push it to 700 bhp when i have a 750hp car coming?
Wouldn't that make it not be what it was meant to be,a daily driver.

Have you heard the C63S with the AMG sports exhaust?
Or did you actually see a C43 AMG badged with a C63S?
Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by abcut973
The government approval is only for slip on exhaust muffler.
Supercharging or turbo charging is not allowed.
That will get your car confiscated.
The only legal mods over here is just exhaust mufflers/body kit that does not protrude out of the original length of the car.
Nothing much left to do.
Akrapovic?they only approve the muffler.
Anything to do with the X pipes/cats etc will get your car impounded for weeks for inspection and a huge fine.

The road tax that you mentioned,is a compulsory for every car.
so for a 6.2L engine,the government just gets to pocket 5k+~ USD per year and you have to pay it for a duration of 10 years.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by Mc81b
The government approval is only for slip on exhaust muffler.
Supercharging or turbo charging is not allowed.
That will get your car confiscated.
The only legal mods over here is just exhaust mufflers/body kit that does not protrude out of the original length of the car.
Nothing much left to do.
Akrapovic?they only approve the muffler.
Anything to do with the X pipes/cats etc will get your car impounded for weeks for inspection and a huge fine.

The road tax that you mentioned,is a compulsory for every car.
so for a 6.2L engine,the government just gets to pocket 5k+~ USD per year and you have to pay it for a duration of 10 years.
wow ...so 5k a year on top of insurance? that'd be insane..where do you live? .. ive heard of crazy car restrictions like that in israel

and yeah it was the S, it just didn't sound like it had a bark too it, maybe im just use to my cat-less setup the same way your use to your BS

Last edited by avery.whss; 01-21-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by C-A-T-S

Sorry that i did not see your question with regards to the gearbox.

The AMG MCT gearbox is pretty slow especially in full manual mode.
They claimed a 100 millisecond(Which i doubt so)
Whereas the //M gearbox is almost identical to those of the Ferrari DCT which shift almost instantly without lag.
But the //M lags out in term of downshifting 'pull'.
Sound wise,there is no competition,the AMG is the obvious winner.

I owned a M4 for a few months and i would dare to say it is a extremely nice car to drive,but what i can't stand is the artificial 'speaker' exhaust sound/blips.

The NA engine 6.2L V8 will have a advantage over the W205 4.0L bi-turbo from a launch start due to the massive amount of torque and power available at any rpm whereas for the turbocharged 4.0L V8,the power kicks in at 1.4k rpm.
But after pulling off,especially driving at S+ which changes mostly at 6000rpm you will almost gain the boost in the next gear.
But the W205 is pretty soft as mentioned compared to the W204 with P30 package with stiffer suspension.

It's pretty nice honestly but i can't seem to justify having 2 W204 (Sedan and Black Series) although they are 2 different beast.
I previously had the E63S which is one of the best car i have driven but i feel that it lacks a soul and it drives like a Bentley.

Last edited by Mc81b; 01-21-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:47 PM

wow ...so 5k a year on top of insurance? that'd be insane..where do you live? .. ive heard of crazy car restrictions like that in israel

and yeah it was the S, it just didn't sound like it had a bark too it, maybe im just use to my cat-less setup the same way your use to your BS
I'm located in Singapore.
Crazy restrictions?
You have not seen Singapore,where the price of a Mercedes E200 can buy you a E63S.
A C63 W204 sedan will cost you 300k usd over here.
The modification regulation here is pretty strict.
Supercharge/Turbo charging/Strokking of engine may result in confiscation of your vehicle.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Mc81b
I'm located in Singapore.
Crazy restrictions?
You have not seen Singapore,where the price of a Mercedes E200 can buy you a E63S.
A C63 W204 sedan will cost you 300k usd over here.
The modification regulation here is pretty strict.
Supercharge/Turbo charging/Strokking of engine may result in confiscation of your vehicle.
oh yeah singapore's insane to own vehicles. don't you have to bid on licenses to buy a car there? and aren't allowed trucks unless its for a business?

overall cost of things there is much different than stateside.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30

prices on 2014 e63s's have come down so much i think you would have to be crazy to consider the w205 over those beasts. low mileage ones are under 70k now.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by rentzington
prices on 2014 e63s's have come down so much i think you would have to be crazy to consider the w205 over those beasts. low mileage ones are under 70k now.

Reason is because I already had a E63S.
Sold that to make place for a full fledge luxury car instead.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by rentzington
oh yeah singapore's insane to own vehicles. don't you have to bid on licenses to buy a car there? and aren't allowed trucks unless its for a business?

overall cost of things there is much different than stateside.
Yes you are right on all the points that you stated.
A Honda Civic here can get you a E63S in the states in fact.
A truck here can get you a brand new c63 over there
Old 01-21-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
I ran with a new W205 C63S on the highway. It does pull on the W204 (albeit I only have eurocharged tune and RoW boxes with AfE filters) but it wasnt a complete obliteration. It didnt sound as good as the 6.2 V8 though.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ENVē
I ran with a new W205 C63S on the highway. It does pull on the W204 (albeit I only have eurocharged tune and RoW boxes with AfE filters) but it wasnt a complete obliteration. It didnt sound as good as the 6.2 V8 though.
Time for headers or a supercharger 👍
Old 01-22-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by deadlyvt
Time for headers or a supercharger 👍
Yea, headers would be nice but I daily this thing so I would need cats somewhere and I would only be able to get a set of headers if I was blessed with a good samaritan selling at a really low price. My money is tied up in the business right now so...
Old 01-27-2016, 09:04 PM

C63 AMG

Watch this review to know all the differences between base and S.

Very well explained and in depth goes all the way to naked much ups and what different bushings are used! skip to 5:00 if you want that part.