C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

08 C63 - Comand opening and closing issue (Yes, I searched...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 Presidential Ed. (sold), 08 C63 (sold), 09 C300, 03 S55
08 C63 - Comand opening and closing issue (Yes, I searched...)

Hey all,

Just had an 08 C63 delivered from Georgia. Everything is great except a couple minor things, one of them is more annoying than the rest.

Searched Google and Mbworld for this issue. It's very strange - once I unlock the doors with the key, the comand unit immediately pops up, doesn't turn on, just pops up. Then it closes after 5-10 seconds, then opens again. Once I put the key in, even in pos 1, it turns on and stays open and functions normally. Once I take out the key, comand closes, and then reopens again 5-6 times opening/closing, and then finally stops. Already turned of MOST feature in engineering menu (7.5), thought that might help but it didn't.

Has anyone experienced this before?? Hoping it's a semi-easy fix. Oddly enough the comand knob scroll feature is gone too, so there's another fix I need to make soon. I did get it with a killer aftermarket 5yr warranty/$100 deductible, so I might be cashing in on that thing sooner than I thought

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:21 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
It is in diagnostic mode.....in the under hood fuse panel there are 2 fuses that you want to pull...I cannot remember which off the top of my head.....so what you may want to do is take a picture of the fuse block, then pull EVERY fuse...leave out for around 10min then reinstall them all....my screen was doing the same thing and the fuse trick took care of it no problem
Old 02-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Thank you VERY much Will try that a bit later today and report back
Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 AM

Unfortunately the fuse pulling did not help. I can still hear something activating even with the car completely turned off, and that triggers the pop up screen to keep opening and closing.

Tried disconnecting the battery for a good hour, did not help either.

Another user PM'd me and suggested checking the pcmcia slot and the disk changer, and eject any disks present as it might be stuck in a diag mode, but no disks or cards are in the system at all.

I'm at a loss, this sucks Any other ideas?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:15 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by Crankturner
Unfortunately the fuse pulling did not help. I can still hear something activating even with the car completely turned off, and that triggers the pop up screen to keep opening and closing.

Another user PM'd me and suggested checking the pcmcia slot and the disk changer, and eject any disks present as it might be stuck in a diag mode, but no disks or cards are in the system at all.

Disconnect both + and - cables at the battery....Connect the + cable to the - cable and leave for 1hr(JUST THE CABLES-nothing touching the battery)....this will discharge ALL of the internal Li memory batteries in each ecm and hard reset the car...
Old 02-02-2016, 11:25 AM

Awesome, thanks, will give that a try this evening!
Old 02-03-2016, 05:29 PM

That did not work either. I actually forgot about it and left it overnight! Connected + and - with a thick wire, then put it back on the battery the next morning. Started up fine and everything's ok, but still the Comand issue. Darn, might just take it to the dealer...

Thanks for everyone's help so far though!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:56 AM

Just a quick update ...

Tried another few tricks sent my way from a couple helpful guys on here but none worked. Tried the disk/stuck update trick, tried pulling fuses, tried leaving the battery disconnected and also the + and - cables connected method. Nothing worked so far. Have not had time to take it into the dealer yet.

One interesting thing I did notice just today, is that even stepping out into the garage and turning on the garage lights triggers the comand display to pop up. Which makes me think it might be a security system issue? Or something with the automatic headlight sensors? Could they be related?
Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 AM

Mercedes w204 c220 2009
Originally Posted by Crankturner

hiya have youtriedhard reset.ignition on hold power button for about 5 secs.it will reset to factory
Old 08-02-2017, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
That happened to me about three years ago. Diagnostic mode or a changed setting in DM had something to do with the cure IIRC but am just totally drawing a blank as to what I did...
Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Do you have a map update disk? I'm wondering if I inserted that to "freeze" Comand onto the update process and stop the cycling. Just thinking out loud as to what I did...