C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Looking for exhaust/header advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Sounds great. Enjoy.
Let us know the results of the tune. Did you do a dyno run before fitting the headers?
Old 04-02-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Coupe
X pipe will remove a lot of the sound of the exhaust. Akra knows - that's why their system is straight pipes all the way.

MBH Headers here with 3 inch cats and 3 inch straight pipes all the way to my supersprint mufflers. Car sounds great. Like a deeper and slightly louder stock.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 AMG C63 Coupe, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
Originally Posted by Savage-wp
Sounds great. Enjoy.
Let us know the results of the tune. Did you do a dyno run before fitting the headers?
my tuned numbers last year from the same shop with just a charcoal delete and res delete were 416/394. i dont believe a baseline was taken, at least they didnt give me the sheet. But at least I will have a reference point for these new mods

for what its worth, the owner of the shop used to have a 2010, and on the website they have the stock dyno numbers listed as 312/341, with his final modded and tuned numbers at 514/445 with ROW, LTH, filters. there are a few other cars listed but none with numbers as impressive as those.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:00 PM

wow, just wow. picked up the car today and thats really all i can say. wow. these long tubes have absolutely transformed the car. it feels more powerful, more responsive, and the sound is jsut incredible. from inside with the back seats down, it is surprisingly quiet at idle and the sound change is only subtle in the low RPM range. it really does not start howling until around ~4k RPM, but boy does it howl. I have not heard too many super cars in person but it definitely reminds me of the sounds you hear from a 458 or a gallardo, a nice slightly throaty howl. i'm still waiting for the shop to get me the revised dyno sheet, they were having some network trouble but hopefully I can report on those by end of the week. the car goes to my indy shop tonight for a service A and wavetrac LSD install, hoping to be fully up and running by this weekend, just in time for car meet season to start in new england
Old 04-05-2016, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Smile

Originally Posted by Arjy
wow, just wow. picked up the car today and thats really all i can say. wow. these long tubes have absolutely transformed the car. it feels more powerful, more responsive, and the sound is jsut incredible. from inside with the back seats down, it is surprisingly quiet at idle and the sound change is only subtle in the low RPM range. it really does not start howling until around ~4k RPM, but boy does it howl. I have not heard too many super cars in person but it definitely reminds me of the sounds you hear from a 458 or a gallardo, a nice slightly throaty howl. i'm still waiting for the shop to get me the revised dyno sheet, they were having some network trouble but hopefully I can report on those by end of the week. the car goes to my indy shop tonight for a service A and wavetrac LSD install, hoping to be fully up and running by this weekend, just in time for car meet season to start in new england
I told you that you'll love the setup. Until you actually hear it in person, you might rush to judgment that it is too loud or you need a new rear exhaust setup. It is quite a well balanced setup and still retain the amg roar.

I'm happy to see that you're enjoying your new setup!

Last edited by I am Jeff; 04-05-2016 at 04:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Arjy (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
W204 C63 saloon
Enjoy....
Don't rush into changing the rear mufflers/backboxes or any other changes...
Let it settle for a while... say after 1-2K Kms usage...
Once the headers are settled in, the sound tone becomes a bit more throaty at low revs...
The following users liked this post:
Arjy (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by sirius9
Enjoy....
Don't rush into changing the rear mufflers/backboxes or any other changes...
Let it settle for a while... say after 1-2K Kms usage...
Once the headers are settled in, the sound tone becomes a bit more throaty at low revs...
this is good to hear! I would rather spend the money on wheels
Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 PM

it took weeks waiting for parts, but I have the car back with the wavetrac LSD installed. I finally got to drive the car around with the headers and i am definitely loving it. I was able to get my hands on my stock resonator so I am taking the car next week to get it reinstalled so I can hear the difference it makes for myself. I expect it will restore some of the deeper tones that were lost when I originally did the delete. Cold starts in the garage are definitely brutal, but it gets quiet pretty quickly.

Will try and update this weekend with some videos, going to go have some fun in the tunnels
Old 05-07-2016, 02:07 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFHX1zMp...-by=tedward_ig
Old 05-07-2016, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
The eisenmann and Akra outperform the stock mufflers quite a bit. I made 18 wtq and 9 whp more then the stock mufflers with the eisenmann race.

I then made 40 lb ft tq more with the Akra evolution. That's almost 60 lbs tq more with the Akra compared to the stock mufflers.

If your just looking for Loud, the stock mufflers will do fine. After a while the car sounds cheap IMHO. The eisenmann is the best of both worlds for anyone with long tubes. It refines the rasp of the Long tubes. Run offs sound extremely controlled. Stock mufflers are like over blown trumpets.

The Akra is a conniseurs piece, its not as loud as stock exhausts and long tubes. It sounds deep and exotic. But it's simply the best of the best for the C63 in terms of performance.

IPE / Agency power are just loud not my thing.

Originally Posted by sirius9
Keep the back boxes standard.
Akrapovic ones deepen the sound and becomes too soft on idle.
Eisenmann ones are more or less the same as standard ones.

Unless you get use to this new setup and want more bark, then valvetronic ones like Fi, IPE or Armytrix.

Enjoy the new headers, car will drive totally different... will seem to keep going and keep pulling...
Old 05-07-2016, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Car sounds great as it is, don't touch anything else. Some of us love the "overblown trumpet" sound, and don't need for our cars to sound "deep and exotic" or "refined".
Old 05-07-2016, 02:57 PM

Next week I should have an idea what difference putting the center resonator back in. I am loving the sound but I can see it getting obnoxious with time, especially the cold starts in the parking garage in the morning. I have decided to move forward on a set of wheels for the car so I definitely cannot consider an exhaust system any time soon, however from Kriston's videos I am interested in putting an Akrapovic system in the long term, the sound is just wicked.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I'm already having a fantastic time with the car back on the road, despite all the rainy weather we've been getting on the east coast.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Next week I should have an idea what difference putting the center resonator back in. I am loving the sound but I can see it getting obnoxious with time, especially the cold starts in the parking garage in the morning. I have decided to move forward on a set of wheels for the car so I definitely cannot consider an exhaust system any time soon, however from Kriston's videos I am interested in putting an Akrapovic system in the long term, the sound is just wicked.

Again, thanks for all the advice. I'm already having a fantastic time with the car back on the road, despite all the rainy weather we've been getting on the east coast.
Post a vid after the stock resonators go in interested to hear the difference from your other video.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I do not impose my opinion on anyone.
You seem to enjoy the overblown trumpet sound and that's great for you. Some of us have children / prefer a car that is not obnoxious to other drivers. by you saying keep everything else, that's your perspective I'm not saying it's wrong. But for some (myself included) it's not the best option for my needs.

Next time let's leave the small talk out of productive discussion.

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Car sounds great as it is, don't touch anything else. Some of us love the "overblown trumpet" sound, and don't need for our cars to sound "deep and exotic" or "refined".
Old 05-07-2016, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kriston
You seem to enjoy the overblown trumpet sound and that's great for you. Some of us have children / prefer a car that is not obnoxious to other drivers. by you saying keep everything else, that's your perspective I'm not saying it's wrong. But for some (myself included) it's not the best option for my needs.

My toddler loves my ARH setup with the stock resonators and mufflers. It might be that my LT setup has an xpipe vs your Agency power without the xpipe. I have not had anyone comment about the stock muffler and resonator as being obnoxious.

To each their own, but I rather enjoy the factory resonator and mufflers. It doesn't need to pretend to sound like an exotic.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
My little girl loves the C63. But I drive the car 80-90 miles per day. As much as I enjoy the loudness, it gets tiring after some time. You are right to each there own.

I think you misread my sentiments about the Akra I simply stated it sounds exotic. That was not what I was pressing on. The C63 doesn't need to pretend to sound like anything. It's a lion in Sheeps clothing.

Like I said the Akra outperforms the stock catback especially in the tq department. I am not disagreeing with anyone and there statements. I'm
Simply chiming in with my own findings with my own experience With these products.

Originally Posted by I am Jeff
My toddler loves my ARH setup with the stock resonators and mufflers. It might be that my LT setup has an xpipe vs your Agency power without the xpipe. I have not had anyone comment about the stock muffler and resonator as being obnoxious.

To each their own, but I rather enjoy the factory resonator and mufflers. It doesn't need to pretend to sound like an exotic.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My little girl loves the C63. But I drive the car 80-90 miles per day. As much as I enjoy the loudness, it gets tiring after some time. You are right to each there own.

I think you misread my sentiments about the Akra I simply stated it sounds exotic. That was not what I was pressing on. The C63 doesn't need to pretend to sound like anything. It's a lion in Sheeps clothing.

Like I said the Akra outperforms the stock catback especially in the tq department. I am not disagreeing with anyone and there statements. I'm
Simply chiming in with my own findings with my own experience With these products.
The akra does sound very nice. Do you have the dyno runs of the stock setup vs the akra setup?

I bought a Ram ecodiesel for my fuel economy vehicle.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
The akra does sound very nice. Do you have the dyno runs of the stock setup vs the akra setup?

I bought a Ram ecodiesel for my fuel economy vehicle.
Of course I have the dyno runs. They are in my other thread. Don't want to clog up Arjy's post with tangents.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreams

I can really appreciate the overblown trumpet analogy as I experienced it doing a resonator delete with the stock mufflers. there was just no sound character between low and high RPM's. without load, the top end had a snapping rasp. under load, the trumpet came out. anyways, your akra setup sounds sick. looking forward to more video clips!
Old 05-09-2016, 07:09 PM

my friend put a full ride along/mini review video of the car up on his youtube channel. a nice video of us having some fun around Boston at night while it was raining. no script!

Old 05-20-2016, 05:33 PM

so a little update: i had the center resonator put back in, and it did exactly what I was hoping. It tamed the cold start a lot, and generally makes slow speed driving less obnoxious since the sound it a bit deeper at lower RPMs. still shouts as it did before in high revs though, I will try and get a video soon to compare.

However, some bad news: I took the car for massachusetts inspection after the resonator install and it failed emissions. I am still trying to understand all the terminology and how these systems work, but they told me it was not an issue of readiness but a weak signal from the o2 sensors. The only difference i see on the inspection sheet they gave me compared to my passing sheet from last year is the line for Catalyst Monitor says Not Available, whereas last year it said ready. There are two other lines, I believe they were catalyst heater and a/c monitor, which say not available on both sheets. I do not have an OBD2 scanner, I would be interested in getting one but have had trouble finding a good one that is compatible with my iPhone.

The guy who did the inspection suggested looking into o2 spacers to solve the problem. My understanding was the ARH headers come with everything required including spacers but I could be mistaken. I am planning to call my tuning shop next week to ask them for advice and whether o2 spacers were installed, and if not I will hopefully have them or another shop install them and go back and get the restricted sticker taken care of. If anyone has advice or can clarify the course of action I could take, it is always appreciated
Old 05-26-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 R230 and 2007 W209
Guys,
First, thanks for the great exhaust system(s) informative dialogue. You guys have answered a lot of my concerns. I am researching a complete performance exhaust system for my SL500 M113 ..However, my focus is on efficient exhaust FLOW which will produce more power ..sound change would be by-product...plus eliminating O2 sensors and CEL light nuisances. It seems ARH long pipe headers , an X pipe, and either Quick Silver or Power Pro mufflers (with a large single exhaust) would be ideal for my need...(Plus an ECU flash upgrade).

Comments most welcome..

Ron
Old 05-26-2016, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wrong forum section dude
Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 R230 and 2007 W209
LOOKING FOR HEADER / EXHAUST

Better check the TITLE (subject)of this thread --"dude"

rwm
Old 05-26-2016, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ron Martin
I am researching a complete performance exhaust system for my SL500 M113 ..
Look at the forum section, dude.

"C63 AMG (W204)"

Everything here is completely incompatible with the "SL500 M113". Dude.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m113-v8-k...-platform-143/
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r230-17/

Do you think you're likely to get much "Looking for exhaust/header advice" here for your car? It's posted in this forum for a reason.

Just trying to help out as it appeared you were lost.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 05-26-2016 at 04:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for exhaust/header advice