Looking for exhaust/header advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 AMG C63 Coupe, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
Looking for exhaust/header advice

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice regarding my long term plans for my C63's exhaust. Currently, I am running stock everything EXCEPT for the eurocharged C63 x-pipe in place of the resonator, all four cats + two mufflers are left alone. http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...es-x-pipe.html

Currently I am happy with the sound but I'm looking for more performance. I have ROW airbox with AFE filters on the way but I understand most of the performance capabilities of the engine are locked away in the OEM headers. So i am interested in adding headers to the mix but I am concerned about two things: One I want to be able to pass emissions and keep the car smelling clean. Two I am not looking for a substantial increase in volume over what I already have. So I am looking for the best setup to increase power, meet the previously mentioned needs that will will be compatible with my current setup? or am i going to have to write off the xpipe i already have regardless?

note i would not be doing these upgrades until closer to end of 2016, im assuming most of the products available now will still be produced then?

thanks in advance, sorry if all this has been covered previously, I have been searching and reading all day but still cant come to a conclusion
Old 01-31-2016, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Arjy
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice regarding my long term plans for my C63's exhaust. Currently, I am running stock everything EXCEPT for the eurocharged C63 x-pipe in place of the resonator, all four cats + two mufflers are left alone. http://www.eurocharged.com/products/...es-x-pipe.html

Currently I am happy with the sound but I'm looking for more performance. I have ROW airbox with AFE filters on the way but I understand most of the performance capabilities of the engine are locked away in the OEM headers. So i am interested in adding headers to the mix but I am concerned about two things: One I want to be able to pass emissions and keep the car smelling clean. Two I am not looking for a substantial increase in volume over what I already have. So I am looking for the best setup to increase power, meet the previously mentioned needs that will will be compatible with my current setup? or am i going to have to write off the xpipe i already have regardless?

note i would not be doing these upgrades until closer to end of 2016, im assuming most of the products available now will still be produced then?

thanks in advance, sorry if all this has been covered previously, I have been searching and reading all day but still cant come to a conclusion
I have the ARH/MHP headers with 200 cel cats & xpipe and I pass emissions in the NY.

The noise at idle is a slightly deeper rumble. At over 3k rpm, it is louder with the windows down. There is zero drone at highway speeds. As a point of reference, my toddler has no trouble falling asleep in the car.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Sounds like the stock exhaust is what you're looking for. You can't have power with a quiet and catted exhaust. A loud exhaust is a powerful one.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 PM

thanks for your replies Jeff and merc63 it seems like as long as i go with headers that have compatible cats the volume wont be a huge issue. I park the car in underground shared parking garages where most of my neighbors are S550 owners so I am trying my best not to be a nuisance is all

currently I am looking at MBH, as they seem to have the best price available. I believe since I already have an xpipe in place of my resonator, I can select their headers with cat equipped midpipe and skip their xpipe that goes in place of the secondary cats. so then I would have headers -> high flow cat equipped midpipe -> eurocharged xpipe -> stock mufflers and tips

does this sound correct? or am i missing something. also are there other options available i might not be aware of? i see many types of headers in the sticky but not much info about availability for purchase or compatibility with cats
Old 01-31-2016, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
MBH headers with high-flow cats, secondary cat delete, X-pipe and no resonators is ear-splitting loud. Seriously, it's obscene. I like it, but I guarantee 100% it will not suit you if the description above of what you want is even slightly accurate.

Anything else you do from here on out will increase the volume exponentially. Maybe start with a valved cat-back like IPE and see how much that quiets the exhaust down, then go from there.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 01-31-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
MBH headers with high-flow cats, secondary cat delete, X-pipe and no resonators is ear-splitting loud. Seriously, it's obscene. I like it, but I guarantee 100% it will not suit you if the description above of what you want is even slightly accurate.
Hmm, thank you for the insight. I am doing some more reading of the forum backlog and it seems a lot of people are saying the best setup for reasonable sound with headers is to get a proper catback such as eisenmann or akrapovic. this of course drives the cost up, and i already seem to have spent a bunk 500 dollars on the xpipe in place of deleted resonator. I will have to do some more research and thinking about my desire for improving the power vs keeping the sound within sanity levels...

for now i will see what improvements i see when i get a new dyno tune after the ROW airbox is installed in march.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:02 AM

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts
c63 coupe p31weistec stg3 SOLD,2013 C63 BLACK SERIES.
Hmm, thank you for the insight. I am doing some more reading of the forum backlog and it seems a lot of people are saying the best setup for reasonable sound with headers is to get a proper catback such as eisenmann or akrapovic. this of course drives the cost up, and i already seem to have spent a bunk 500 dollars on the xpipe in place of deleted resonator. I will have to do some more research and thinking about my desire for improving the power vs keeping the sound within sanity levels...

for now i will see what improvements i see when i get a new dyno tune after the ROW airbox is installed in march.
Mhp Lth,xpipe and 3inch straight pipe to tips with a stage 3 blower bcuz racekarr,car is loud everywhere n cold starts shatter Windows around the neighborhood and it also shoots 3 feet long flames
Old 02-01-2016, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by gzim335
Mhp Lth,xpipe and 3inch straight pipe to tips with a stage 3 blower bcuz racekarr,car is loud everywhere n cold starts shatter Windows around the neighborhood and it also shoots 3 feet long flames
oh believe me i would love to go all out and slap a blower on this baby! i've got a buddy who just picked up a charger hellcat and it's definitely got me itching to join the "whiner's club" as they call it :P I think i need to finish my doctorate and upgrade my tax bracket first.

either way, I think i am going to inquire about header compatibility with my current frankenstein setup with all the different manufacturers. if it will work, I may even pull the trigger early and get them installed with the ROW airbox so i only need to re tune the car once. Then i will get an idea of if I really need to upgrade the cat back or not. if they will not work properly

also, I am trying to understand more about the o2 sensors. seems mhp includes everything needed to use the primary o2s in the new high flow cats, while mbh does not. any insight on this? you have all been helpful so far and i am very thankful for that
Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
W204 C63 saloon
Over the other side of the pond in UK, I have IPE headers, (as MPH doesnt do right hand drive ones), sport cell cat, secondary cat delete and resonator delete with original backboxes.

Rumble at idle is slightly rougher and deeper tone V8.
On acceleration, a comeplete new BEAST of a sound.

Start up on cold is shattering, might not be a hit with neighbours, hence why i start up inside the garage. Vibrations throughout the house but tolerable even for my little 6 months old.

Once you hear it, you wont go back to stock exhaust sound (Don't get me wrong, stock exhaust sound is very nice).

You can opt for valved backboxes, to keep neighbours happy. But the hassle of switching to open/closed, or on auto, you will need to rev to over 3000rpm to open the valves.

Just let it go! Let it go!
Old 02-03-2016, 10:11 AM

So I've gone ahead and contacted MHP and am gonna place an order on the catted headers to have them installed when i bring the car out this spring.

Since MHP kit includes an x pipe on the mid in place of the secondary cats, I will have a "double x pipe" set up since i also have the eurocharged x pipe in place of the resonator. unless i can source an OEM res, as I did not keep mine after doing the delete. I have no idea if this "frankenstein" setup has ever been done before so i am hoping the sound wont suffer too much. either way I will have headers, row airbox with afe, and a new dyno tune so I will get the power increase I am looking for.

eventually I will do either an eisenmann or akrapovic catback if I decide i cant live with the sound. eisenmann seems like much better price but akrapovic of course has a fantastic signature sound and is titanium so substantial weight loss.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 AMG GTS ED1, 2013 C63 P31 Coupe
A local Benz shop here had a OEM resonator for C63 that was welded back in when I had my LTH installed. Check around your area and see if there's one lying around.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
From what I am reading the best setup seems to be: MBH LTH, 200 cell cats, straight pipe at secondary cat and leave everything else stock
Old 02-04-2016, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ENV²
From what I am reading the best setup seems to be: MBH LTH, 200 cell cats, straight pipe at secondary cat and leave everything else stock
As long as you don't go over 50% throttle, that will sound pretty close to stock. At WOT it sounds bananas.
The following users liked this post:
CyanideRide (12-18-2017)
Old 02-04-2016, 09:47 PM

I am Jeff gave me some advice that the MHP headers will give a smoother sound than the MBH design, which has a much raspier sound at WOT. Most of the videos i have found seem to confirm this, but videos can be deceiving when translating exhaust sound to speakers.

either way, the MHP headers are ordered, and they will be going in the car towards the end of march. I gave the shop that did my res delete a call and they definitely junked the res, so for now I will have to keep the eurocharged pipe in place. It wont disrupt any power though so not a concern of mine for now until i decide to get a catback system.

Thanks to everyone for your help, very excited to bring the car out this spring.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am Jeff gave me some advice that the MHP headers will give a smoother sound than the MBH design, which has a much raspier sound at WOT. Most of the videos i have found seem to confirm this, but videos can be deceiving when translating exhaust sound to speakers.

either way, the MHP headers are ordered, and they will be going in the car towards the end of march. I gave the shop that did my res delete a call and they definitely junked the res, so for now I will have to keep the eurocharged pipe in place. It wont disrupt any power though so not a concern of mine for now until i decide to get a catback system.

Thanks to everyone for your help, very excited to bring the car out this spring.

You're going to love the setup! Post pics of your install and tell us about your initial thought of your set agter you have it installed.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
As long as you don't go over 50% throttle, that will sound pretty close to stock. At WOT it sounds bananas.

Any rasp or no?
Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ENV²
Any rasp or no?
Not to my ears.

That's like asking if it 'sounds good'. Everyone has a different opinion. Listen to clips on YouTube and decide for yourself.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:33 PM

ARH headers went in yesterday. my shop posted a pic to their facebook, hopefully they connected the O2s after taking the pic lol

should pick up the car next tuesday with the tune all taken care of. Then im off to my indy shop for wavetrac LSD install and an A service. Then finally the beast will be back in business!
Old 04-01-2016, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Congrats looks great. You will love the headers.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Nice, you'll like the headers they are great. I would remove that secondary X pipe and just weld in some straight pipes.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 PM

looks like they posted a video on their instagram as well. im on my laptop speakers so hard to tell but sounds pretty great. i think long term im looking at a akrapovic or eisenmann back end but after these upgrades i'll have a good while before i have to make a decision on that

View this post on Instagram
Old 04-02-2016, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Can't open the link?
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 AM

strange, the link embedded into the post on my end and works fine. here is the link to their page, video is the most recent post currently

https://www.instagram.com/brentuning/
Old 04-02-2016, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats! You're going to love the setup!
Old 04-02-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
W204 C63 saloon
looks like they posted a video on their instagram as well. im on my laptop speakers so hard to tell but sounds pretty great. i think long term im looking at a akrapovic or eisenmann back end but after these upgrades i'll have a good while before i have to make a decision on that

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDrF10vThKL/
Keep the back boxes standard.
Akrapovic ones deepen the sound and becomes too soft on idle.
Eisenmann ones are more or less the same as standard ones.

Unless you get use to this new setup and want more bark, then valvetronic ones like Fi, IPE or Armytrix.

Enjoy the new headers, car will drive totally different... will seem to keep going and keep pulling...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for exhaust/header advice