C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Magnuson supercharger installed

Old 02-26-2016, 07:34 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2012 c63
Magnuson supercharger installed

Would like to share my experience with the "hammer" kit. But first a shout out to Ken from Magnuson, everyone at XLR8 performance, Jerry from Eurocharge and Brian from Dynotech Tuning. These people made it happen for me.

Brought my car down to the XLR8 in CT for the install about a month ago.
I bought the tuner kit from magnuson, since my car was not stock. On top of the supercharger, I also upgraded my injectors, as recommended by them, and bought a smaller pulley from them for whenever i wanted more power.

The installation was pretty straight forward, the same however cannot be said with the tune. Since it was a tuner kit, it didn't come with a tune, and we reached out to Eurocharged to see if they could do a tune, since i had a v5 tune from them. XLR8's dyno was down for the time period my car was there (couldn't get pre-install pulls), and Jerry did not have experience tuning the kit, so it made our lives pretty hard.Took about a week of loading tunes and test driving, before eventually got to the point where the car was drive able. But most of that time in the shop was because they could not test drive the car due to snow. To clarify though, OE tuning are the ones who created the tune for the standard kit, and will most likely not experience the same problems or at least to the degree of problems I had.

Anyways, I eventually took the car home about 2 weeks ago, and by no means was the car running great, but it is my daily driver and living without a car is hell. The car ran okay, albeit a bit rough. Did have issues with the car, but not going to dive too deep into that. A week past by, and I was able to head down to Dynotech last Thursday for my first dyno session to do remote tuning with Jerry. They have a mustang dyno and the car put down 467 Hp and 429 Tq on the last tune file of the day.

Was happy with the numbers, but wanted a bit more, so switched to the smaller pulley a few days ago and went back onto the dyno today. The standard pulley (70mm i think) made about 5.5psi and the smaller one (65mm) made 7.5. Final numbers of the day came out to 497 Hp and 433 Tq. For reference, someone's bone stock c63 pulled 317 Hp and 310 on that dyno. I know conditions and cars are different, but assuming 451Hp/316Whp * 497 Whp, 443/310 * 433 ), my car puts down 710 Hp and give or take 630 Tq at crank. Needless to say, I am very very happy. Car runs very smooth now, but will still be looking out for problems.

Interesting fact for those who own a valvetronic exhaust like mine or is considering buying one. We did a pull with the valves opened vs closed, and difference came out to be about 30WHp. Obviously the difference will not be as significant for those who just have the catbacks or headers, but still a difference nonetheless. That about wraps it up.

Attached some pics of car and dyno graphs.
Here's a video of the car on the dyno. https://vimeo.com/155714204
Attached Thumbnails Magnuson supercharger installed-dyno-day-1.jpg   Magnuson supercharger installed-dyno-day-2.jpg   Magnuson supercharger installed-sc-1.jpg   Magnuson supercharger installed-sc.png  

Last edited by Cli63; 02-28-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:59 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
Congrats for getting a blower.

Even going the custom route like you did, I suspect most people will be able to avoid the particular set of circumstances of dyno down and snow.

Significant power difference on the exhaust valves - good incentive to leave them open.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
That's stupid they sell this kit without a tune for headers. How many guys want to drop 10k on a blower and dont already have headers, doubt very many. I know of one guy that has a stage 1 Weistec blower out of a handful.

Seems like a lot of pissing around to get a half *** tune. Running lean off the go and doesn't richen up that much. 13-14 AFR with boost on a high compression engine seems kind of lean to me. Id like to get around 12-12.5. I think Weistec runs 11.9 with the stage 3, not sure what they run with stage 2.

For the price of the blower and then you need tuning, you probably come out costing more than a Weistec stage 2 kit?

Looks like decent numbers out of 7.5lbs of boost, what correction factor was that done in?

Curious to see some drag strip times.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Originally Posted by Merc63
That's stupid they sell this kit without a tune for headers. How many guys want to drop 10k on a blower and dont already have headers, doubt very many. I know of one guy that has a stage 1 Weistec blower out of a handful.

Seems like a lot of pissing around to get a half *** tune. Running lean off the go and doesn't richen up that much. 13-14 AFR with boost on a high compression engine seems kind of lean to me. Id like to get around 12-12.5. I think Weistec runs 11.9 with the stage 3, not sure what they run with stage 2.

For the price of the blower and then you need tuning, you probably come out costing more than a Weistec stage 2 kit?

Looks like decent numbers out of 7.5lbs of boost, what correction factor was that done in?

There were a couple of cars out drag racing last night not sure what times they were running but I did hear 1 ran 11.3 not sure of there mph but I also heard another cR ran like a 13.7 but he was on street tyres
Old 02-26-2016, 09:10 PM

2012 c63

Well i ended up about spending the same Weistec's stage 2, but this kit is definitely cheaper than the stage 2. The blower itself was 9,500 (I got 500 off being the first few to purchase the kit.) The injectors, injector adapters and fuel rail came out to be a bit less than 1500, which i don't think stage 2 includes. Assuming installation is 2k for both, its 13k ( blower + install + tune (oe quotes about 1k)) for magnuson vs 15k for weistec.

Not sure about correction factor can find out tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Gotta agree with Merc63, I wouldn't want those AFR's on boost without race gas. It fattens up towards the top end which is good, but would rather see closer to 13 in the mid range if not under.

Glad to hear a review on one of these in the wild though, good work. Will be interested to see some 1/4 mile times when the weather gets nicer.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 C63 AMG
What size injectors are you running now? I'd guess close to ID1000s.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:54 PM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
Originally Posted by Cli63
Would like to share my experience with the "hammer" kit. But first a shout out to Ken from Magnuson, everyone at XLR8 performance, Jerry from Eurocharge and Brain from Dynotech Tuning.
Thanks for the "thumbs up". Not the smoothest of solutions when trying to work with different calibrations etc, but we got there. It was very cool how all parties were willing to work together for the good result.

That's stupid they sell this kit without a tune for headers. ...snip... Curious to see some drag strip times.
It is not possible to sell a CARB-compliant calibration with headers unless they are specified headers included in the kit ... which defeats the purpose if the car already has headers. Those are the CARB rules.
There are no AMG kits sold with headers that are CARB approved. If we sell a kit with a tune that is not CARB compliant, the fines are horrendous.
However; we do offer a solution that is a non-CARB-compliant "Tuner" kit & then the onus is on the installer &/or owner to determine compliance. In most cases, the tune needs to be "custom" as not all headers are equal, some cars have cats deleted, some have full systems, some have ROW air-boxes etc.
And of course everyone has their favourite tuner, & only wants that person/company to tune their car as they have already done the tweaks for that car, so supplying a tune seems moot.

Originally Posted by mr747
There were a couple of cars out drag racing last night not sure what times they were running but I did hear 1 ran 11.3 not sure of there mph but I also heard another cR ran like a 13.7 but he was on street tyres
We did have a couple of cars out last night, both were on street tyres.
My car was full weight (including spare wheel, full tank of fuel, & overweight driver ).
My rears are PS AS3's (275/30/19). First time on the track in 25 years, and I could not get traction. Failed terribly on the first run; 11.56 @ 129.6 on 2nd run; and then ran 11.37 @ 129.9 on the final pass. With practice I speculate an 11.1 would be my best on streets, sub-11 with slicks.

Originally Posted by LVSpeedemon
What size injectors are you running now? I'd guess close to ID1000s.
The optional injectors available from Magnuson are 600cc (extended nozzle multi-orifice like the OEM's).
Old 02-26-2016, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Why can't you sell with a tune for race or off highway purposes and end user takes the risk running on the road. To my understanding, this is how everyone else sells aftermarket stuff?
Old 02-27-2016, 01:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
I second the opinion on the valves exhaust....closed position...lost over 30hp compared to open...dyno tested..glad your car is now working. Kit looks real clean.

Originally Posted by Cli63
Would like to share my experience with the "hammer" kit. But first a shout out to Ken from Magnuson, everyone at XLR8 performance, Jerry from Eurocharge and Brain from Dynotech Tuning. These people made it happen for me.

Brought my car down to the XLR8 in CT for the install about a month ago.
I bought the tuner kit from magnuson, since my car was not stock. On top of the supercharger, I also upgraded my injectors, as recommended by them, and bought a smaller pulley from them for whenever i wanted more power.

The installation was pretty straight forward, the same however cannot be said with the tune. Since it was a tuner kit, it didn't come with a tune, and we reached out to Eurocharged to see if they could do a tune, since i had a v5 tune from them. XLR8's dyno was down for the time period my car was there (couldn't get pre-install pulls), and Jerry did not have experience tuning the kit, so it made our lives pretty hard.Took about a week of loading tunes and test driving, before eventually got to the point where the car was drive able. But most of that time in the shop was because they could not test drive the car due to snow. To clarify though, OE tuning are the ones who created the tune for the standard kit, and will most likely not experience the same problems or at least to the degree of problems I had.

Anyways, I eventually took the car home about 2 weeks ago, and by no means was the car running great, but it is my daily driver and living without a car is hell. The car ran okay, albeit a bit rough. Did have issues with the car, but not going to dive too deep into that. A week past by, and I was able to head down to Dynotech last Thursday for my first dyno session to do remote tuning with Jerry. They have a mustang dyno and the car put down 467 Hp and 429 Tq on the last tune file of the day.

Was happy with the numbers, but wanted a bit more, so switched to the smaller pulley a few days ago and went back onto the dyno today. The standard pulley (70mm i think) made about 5.5psi and the smaller one (65mm) made 7.5. Final numbers of the day came out to 497 Hp and 433 Tq. For reference, someone's bone stock c63 pulled 315 Hp and i think 295ish Tq (will find out exactly tomorrow) on that dyno. I know conditions and cars are different, but assuming 451Hp/315Whp * 497 Whp, 443/295 * 433 ), my car puts down 710 Hp and give or take 650 Tq at crank. Needless to say, I am very very happy. Car runs very smooth now, but will still be looking out for problems.

Interesting fact for those who own a valvetronic exhaust like mine or is considering buying one. We did a pull with the valves opened vs closed, and difference came out to be about 30WHp. Obviously the difference will not be as significant for those who just have the catbacks or headers, but still a difference nonetheless. That about wraps it up.

Attached some pics of car and dyno graphs.
Here's a video of the car on the dyno. https://vimeo.com/155714204
Old 02-27-2016, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
Originally Posted by Southways
Thanks for the "thumbs up". Not the smoothest of solutions when trying to work with different calibrations etc, but we got there. It was very cool how all parties were willing to work together for the good result.

It is not possible to sell a CARB-compliant calibration with headers unless they are specified headers included in the kit ... which defeats the purpose if the car already has headers. Those are the CARB rules.
There are no AMG kits sold with headers that are CARB approved. If we sell a kit with a tune that is not CARB compliant, the fines are horrendous.
However; we do offer a solution that is a non-CARB-compliant "Tuner" kit & then the onus is on the installer &/or owner to determine compliance. In most cases, the tune needs to be "custom" as not all headers are equal, some cars have cats deleted, some have full systems, some have ROW air-boxes etc.
And of course everyone has their favourite tuner, & only wants that person/company to tune their car as they have already done the tweaks for that car, so supplying a tune seems moot.

We did have a couple of cars out last night, both were on street tyres.
My car was full weight (including spare wheel, full tank of fuel, & overweight driver ).
My rears are PS AS3's (275/30/19). First time on the track in 25 years, and I could not get traction. Failed terribly on the first run; 11.56 @ 129.6 on 2nd run; and then ran 11.37 @ 129.9 on the final pass. With practice I speculate an 11.1 would be my best on streets, sub-11 with slicks.

The optional injectors available from Magnuson are 600cc (extended nozzle multi-orifice like the OEM's).
Great time mate the cars are really moving
Old 02-27-2016, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Yep Mph is good. Is that the carb package with stock exhaust?
Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Why can't you sell with a tune for race or off highway purposes and end user takes the risk running on the road. To my understanding, this is how everyone else sells aftermarket stuff?
Because of very strict government regulations in OZ. Not sure if it applies to international sales though.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:07 PM

C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
Because they have cracked down on this - hard.
If sold as a kit, the onus is on the manufacturer. If sold as components that do not enable the purchaser to operate the product without purchasing "a significant portion" elsewhere, the onus is on the owner/installer.
There was a 7-figure fine enforced on a Californian exhaust manufacturer a couple of years ago.
Small companies may be less likely to be targeted - Magnuson will not risk it.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:22 PM

C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
Yep Mph is good. Is that the carb package with stock exhaust?
Cli63 - sorry for the thread diversion.

Not a CARB-legal kit.
IPE Headers (but cat-back standard),
Higher-boost pulley (peak of 7.4psi from memory),
600cc Magnuson injectors,
Everything else standard.
586rwHP

Cli63 - sorry for the thread diversion.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c63
What was the car beside you ??. Number are almost identical lol
Old 02-27-2016, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Great run, with drag tires, that's an easy 10.6-10.8. Good job, thanks for posting the slip, I'm sure guys wanted to see.

Maybe a tuner could develop a tune for headers, etc, and they could sell it.

Last edited by Merc63; 02-27-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
awesome!!
Old 02-27-2016, 06:31 PM

C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
Originally Posted by mr747
What was the car beside you ??. Number are almost identical lol
I think that run was a red VY/VZ Commodore with a turbo sticking out through the hood. I haven't seen the video/photos yet.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:36 PM

C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
...snip... Maybe a tuner could develop a tune for headers, etc, and they could sell it.
That's what we are hoping for.
We are happy to work with anybody wanting to be involved, but we have to remain at arm's length.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
Nice numbers overall however, don't folks put down 450-470 rwhp with LTs and a tune depending on dyno?

That being said with blower and smaller pulley you only gain 50 rwhp?
Old 02-28-2016, 12:30 PM

2012 c63
Originally Posted by AMG6.3
Nice numbers overall however, don't folks put down 450-470 rwhp with LTs and a tune depending on dyno?

That being said with blower and smaller pulley you only gain 50 rwhp?
The numbers you are referencing are from a dyno jet. My car was on a mustang (chassis) dyno which always reads lower than the dynojet. How much lower really depends on the machine, some say 12%/15%/20%, which is why i included the numbers of a stock car to estimate the numbers at crank. A stock car on a dyno jet reads around 370 but it reads only 317 on this dyno, so you see how much of a difference that is. Giving you another point of reference, Jerry had another customer that got reading on a mustang for 470 and 562 on a dynojet.

Considering all that, car probably puts down something in the neighbourhood of 600wheel on a dynoject, so comparing to say a 470wheel car with tune + headers, it more like 130whp gain.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Southways
Because they have cracked down on this - hard.
If sold as a kit, the onus is on the manufacturer. If sold as components that do not enable the purchaser to operate the product without purchasing "a significant portion" elsewhere, the onus is on the owner/installer.
There was a 7-figure fine enforced on a Californian exhaust manufacturer a couple of years ago.
Small companies may be less likely to be targeted - Magnuson will not risk it.
Your story cannot adding up, LT's have never been legal or emmisions compliant yet tunes are selling turn key kits with tunes. Also, those AFR's are nowhere near safe, that motor is not long for this world.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
Your story cannot adding up
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transpo...ket-components
Old 02-28-2016, 05:14 PM

2012 c63
Originally Posted by jrcart
Your story cannot adding up, LT's have never been legal or emmisions compliant yet tunes are selling turn key kits with tunes. Also, those AFR's are nowhere near safe, that motor is not long for this world.
Lot of people have already mentioned the AFR is potentially an issue. I know someone already mentioned ideally it should be 12-12.5. I personally don't know much about that, what would be the ideal ratio for what rpm?? Will definitely be in contact with Jerry.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Magnuson supercharger installed