C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Interior Trim Question

Old 03-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Interior Trim Question

I have always disliked the fact that the trim around the shift boot and drive selection knob does not match the rest of the vehicle trim. It seems that MB would be able to manufacture this part in the same material as the rest of the vehicle trim...but for some reason they decided to cut corners here. Presumably because the vehicle is finished at the AMG factory.

So my question is this: Does anyone know of a company that makes this piece of trim in oem finishes? All I have seen is carbon fiber, and I would rather not introduce a new material to the interior with the exception of changing out all interior trim.

Why is this trim black???
Old 03-15-2016, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu
Racist

You could always wrap them in whatever finish you want .

All the interior styles that originally came with the C63 can be orderded through any of these sites (aluminum, maple wood, carbon fiber, etc):
http://mymercedesparts.com/ or http://www.parts.com)
http://www.oediscountparts.com/
http://mercedespartscenter.com/
http://genuinemercedesparts.com
http://www.mbpartsworld.com
http://www.ecstuning.com

I'm sure places like MACarbon or others can do a custom order/finish of those parts but it might be expensive. You could also hydrodip those interior pieces to anything you want too.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 PM

2013 C63 AMG
I guess I'm the only one bothered by this. The only explanation I can come up with is illustrated through this fictional AMG design meeting...

AMG Design Meeting.
18 January 2007.

Hans:

Hey Niklas, the C63 has a different knob layout than the normal C class. What will we do about the finish for the shift boot trim.

Niklas:
Good point Hans. Perhaps we could manufacture the part in the various finishes that are available for the car.

Hans:
I dont know Niklas, we could do that...but then we would need to know the finish of the vehicle trim so that we could install the matching part.

Niklas:
Yeah Hans, that is another really good point. I don't know what to do. (high pitched voice for word "what")

Hans:

Well what if we just make the part in Piano Black only?

Niklas:
Genius! We could save money that way too. Who needs matching interior trim anyhow? (Hans and Niklas share a resounding laugh)

Fin.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
^forgot you medication today did ya?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:32 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu
I have always disliked the fact that the trim around the shift boot and drive selection knob does not match the rest of the vehicle trim. It seems that MB would be able to manufacture this part in the same material as the rest of the vehicle trim...but for some reason they decided to cut corners here. Presumably because the vehicle is finished at the AMG factory.

So my question is this: Does anyone know of a company that makes this piece of trim in oem finishes? All I have seen is carbon fiber, and I would rather not introduce a new material to the interior with the exception of changing out all interior trim.

That should match the door trim and the climate control. Yours doesn't?
My 08 has all those items in silver
Old 03-15-2016, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mine is in somewhat green burl wood trim that matches the interior side door trim as well. im not sure why OP's doesnt. OP, do you have a designo interior?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by beejAMG
mine is in somewhat green burl wood trim that matches the interior side door trim as well. im not sure why OP's doesnt. OP, do you have a designo interior?
I do have a designo interior...black Birdseye maple I believe is what it's called. Although every c63 I've been in has black trim around the shift knob.

(This is not an image of my car but an example I found on Google)

Last edited by sharkey_lsu; 03-15-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ thats a different car from your initial post right?

mine does have the green birdseye maple (i think thats what its called) on the center console that matches the side trims. although mine is a 2009 and yours is a lot newer.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Interesting. I didn't realize the FL cars were done that way
Old 03-15-2016, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
That is strange. My PFL matches.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
My PFL matches.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 AMG C63 Coupe, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
pfl cars match because iirc they use the same piece as the non amg. the fl has the new selection knob with s+ and the part is always gloss black, thats the c-class treatment we get from mb

going to be tough to match it to your wood trim from what i know, best bet would be to wrap both to match or replace both, but you're right there is only carbon fiber parts available from what i know

i think its strange how many cars there were on the market with the wood trim that clearly does not match well with the rest of the interior. the black trim at least matches slightly better with the aluminum or carbon fiber trims
Old 03-16-2016, 10:33 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Arjy
pfl cars match because iirc they use the same piece as the non amg. the fl has the new selection knob with s+ and the part is always gloss black, thats the c-class treatment we get from mb

going to be tough to match it to your wood trim from what i know, best bet would be to wrap both to match or replace both, but you're right there is only carbon fiber parts available from what i know

i think its strange how many cars there were on the market with the wood trim that clearly does not match well with the rest of the interior. the black trim at least matches slightly better with the aluminum or carbon fiber trims
Yeah it bothers me for that specific reason. The attention to detail should be better for an AMG...and the only reason I noticed this is because the finish matched in my C350.

Luckily for me, I have the Black Birds Eye Maple for my interior trim so the difference is subtle. But I did test drive a car similar to the one pictured above with the reddish colored trim and I thought that the previous owner must have replaced the part with an incorrect finish.

Shame to skimp out on something so minute. Oh well...it doesn't effect the performance of the car