AMG C63 in storage for 3yrs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
AMG C63 in storage for 3yrs

Hello,

Looking at buying an '08 C63 but the owner said the previous owner did not register the car for over 3 years, in which time it was sitting around (not sure how regularly it was started or driven). It has since been serviced, registered and driven for the last 2.5 months.

What sort of things can go wrong? Is it simply a case of walking away and looking for an example with better history?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 06:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe, BMW 335xi Frozen Silver
Originally Posted by Bozza
Hello,

Looking at buying an '08 C63 but the owner said the previous owner did not register the car for over 3 years, in which time it was sitting around (not sure how regularly it was started or driven). It has since been serviced, registered and driven for the last 2.5 months.

What sort of things can go wrong? Is it simply a case of walking away and looking for an example with better history?

Thanks
I personally would never buy a car that's been sitting for that long. Play it safe and find another
Old 03-16-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63
I would consider the offer!
If its a real deal, then it could be a good car! but for 1-2k difference i wouldnt touch!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Better read up https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-stickies.html.

Buying Advice and Comparisons
Common Problems with the C63 AMG
Chris Harris reviews the new C63 AMG
Tell me about why you purhcased your C63...
Is C63 Really Worth $70k?
Difference between C63 AMG W204 P31 v C63 AMG 507 v C63 AMG Black Series
2012 C63 Order Information

If everything looks good and runs good, then go for it. Check to see if it has a warranty and if not, get an aftermarket one for sure.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Seeing as you're looking at an 08, my guess is you're going for the ole budget AMG. Could that car be fine? Yes. But it only takes time and one dried up seal from sitting for 3 years to end in a very bad day. And seeing as you're going for the 08' I'd say affording a big issue really isn't in the cards.

There is nothing wrong with that, at all. I'm just simply pointing out that you're better off looking for a different c63 that has been properly driven and maintained. Far less chance of an issue.

Good luck with your search. Also, refer to the links in Insignia's post, some good stuff in there.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Where is that car located?
I think we had a thread like that last year regarding a similar 08 car with barely 1000 miles on it or so. I can't remember... Could be the same car?
As others mentioned cars sitting for that long can be more problematic than one with 80k miles on it. GL with your search!
Old 03-16-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
Where is that car located?
I think we had a thread like that last year regarding a similar 08 car with barely 1000 miles on it or so. I can't remember... Could be the same car?
As others mentioned cars sitting for that long can be more problematic than one with 80k miles on it. GL with your search!
Yea that was me bro but I think this is a different car OP is posting about because I still have mine. I bought mine in 2014. Its an 08 and a 6 year old car at the time with only 400 miles on it. My car currently has 25K miles on the clock, ZERO issues so far and I have been following the service interval maintenance. The only gripe I have are replacing the tires every 6-7K miles but thats to be expected on these cars. Alot of you guys think that just because it's sitting there, all the parts are going to dry up and deteriorate but thats not always the case. I had my car checked out at an indy shop for dried up seals, belts, any parts that had signs of deteriorating, everything was still in excellent condition. My car was stored in a climate controlled garage for most of the time, I cant comment on the car OP is looking at but I can tell you that the car I purchased was a great buy and I got a hell of a deal for it, basically a new car. If you can get an inspection on the car OP and it checks out, you should go for it assuming the price is good and all, GL.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
Yea that was me bro but I think this is a different car OP is posting about because I still have mine. I bought mine in 2014. Its an 08 and a 6 year old car at the time with only 400 miles on it. My car currently has 25K miles on the clock, ZERO issues so far and I have been following the service interval maintenance. The only gripe I have are replacing the tires every 6-7K miles but thats to be expected on these cars. Alot of you guys think that just because it's sitting there, all the parts are going to dry up and deteriorate but thats not always the case. I had my car checked out at an indy shop for dried up seals, belts, any parts that had signs of deteriorating, everything was still in excellent condition. My car was stored in a climate controlled garage for most of the time, I cant comment on the car OP is looking at but I can tell you that the car I purchased was a great buy and I got a hell of a deal for it, basically a new car. If you can get an inspection on the car OP and it checks out, you should go for it assuming the price is good and all, GL.
We aren't saying it will definitely happen. But there is still risk involved and when buying an 08' one thinks that a dollar is being stretched a bit to get there. Again, nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather take the risk of a big PFL repair on a car that has been driven and maintained over a car that really has no history. No history could be both good and bad.

Nice to hear everything worked out on yours.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts
2006 E55
I wouldn't even consider the deal to be honest. These cars/motors are meant to be driven and meant to be opened up WOT to keep them healthy, they're meant for this! Just letting cars sit there , especially for that long, is just asking for potential troubles. You might get a lucky and it's fine and no problems at all however - the question is, are you willing to drop your hard earned coin to see? Your call.

I had an E39 M5 that I rarely drove as I had another daily at the time. That car would act up ALL the time when I let her sit for extended periods. And I'm just talking several weeks/months - not years like your example!

My.02
Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
Why is everyone freaking out that it sat for a while? It has been serviced and back on the road.

Im not going to get into it all, but all of you car guys should be well versed in the collectable world. The barn find world. The multicar collection world. Ease up everyone. Cars can sit, and as long as they are serviced and tuned up....................whats the big deal?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 AMG C63 Coupe, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
i wouldnt cross off the car just because of it, but if there are other options available I would look at those first. in my experience a mercedes that has been driven consistently will have less small issues vs a mercedes that has sat for a relatively long period in its life, but the car is absolutely not ruined

i stored my c63 over this past winter, and it was a short winter at that. when i started it up again last weekend everything was perfect, except my steering column motor had seized and the wheel was stuck in the entry/exit positon, all the way up. i had to sit like my mother does with the seat as far forward as possible! after 2 days the motor started working as normal, just as i took it to the shop to be looked at. the little things! it's always the little things. most importantly find a car in good condition and enjoy it!
Old 03-17-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Originally Posted by jordanaf
Why is everyone freaking out that it sat for a while? It has been serviced and back on the road.

Im not going to get into it all, but all of you car guys should be well versed in the collectable world. The barn find world. The multicar collection world. Ease up everyone. Cars can sit, and as long as they are serviced and tuned up....................whats the big deal?
Barn finds are not bought to be used as reliable transportation. If they are, the engine is disassembled and inspected.

Big difference.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
And all I assertted, NO MATTER, the end usage...........As long as all is baselined, flushed, cleaned, topped off and tuned,

the car should be all good provided all checks out. Not big difference!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
No. You're just wrong. Engines are built to be run as is the rest of a car. 3yrs is an eternity. You can check fluids and seals all you want. Have you ever torn down a motor that has sat unused for that long? It's not pretty.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
‘04 996 C4S, ‘18 GLC, ‘19 Alltrack
I know I'm jaundiced from being in the 996 world where a low miles car is a death sentence (ok, maybe just a time bomb...). But I'd rather have a car with 60-80k mi than ultra low miles.

All IMO, of course.

TC