C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Getting steering wheel straight!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Getting steering wheel straight!

So after alignment the car tracks straight but steering wheel is off center. Do you fix that via the wheel itself or is that fixed under the car if that makes sense?
Old 03-17-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by 507AMG
So after alignment the car tracks straight but steering wheel is off center. Do you fix that via the wheel itself or is that fixed under the car if that makes sense?
Usually they straighten the wheel and then align the car to the wheel being locked in that straight position. How long has it been out of straight? Mine is a tiny bit off as well, bugs me but haven't taken it in for an alignment. Cars will become out of alignment from normal road use and wear and tear after a couple of years. Bushing get softer or wear, things settle and alignment can change. Just because it tracks straight does not mean it's aligned correctly.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Take the car back and tell them that the wheel isn't straight. All that needs to be done is under the car and involves shortening and lengthening the tie rods.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately for me it's bugging me like mad. Mines a 2014 with 9000 miles, and brand-new Michelin pilot super sports. Main issue is when I got the car new wheel was perfectly straight and it tracked straight from the factory. After new tires and an alignment from the dealer today it does not. Almost every time I go to the dealer I get one thing fixed and they create another issue, i.e. scratches on my wheels. Anyway if I can just take the steering off and move it over one notch, I would rather do that then go back to the dealer again
Old 03-17-2016, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
u can try have the steering wheel rotate bit to the other side then have them adjust the toe.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Thanks for reply. Unfortunately for me it's bugging me like mad. Mines a 2014 with 9000 miles, and brand-new Michelin pilot super sports. Main issue is when I got the car new wheel was perfectly straight and it tracked straight from the factory. After new tires and an alignment from the dealer today it does not. Almost every time I go to the dealer I get one thing fixed and they create another issue, i.e. scratches on my wheels. Anyway if I can just take the steering off and move it over one notch, I would rather do that then go back to the dealer again
So.... stop going to the dealer? And that's not how you straighten the wheel. Another member had it right. Straighten wheel first, then do the alignment. They put your car on the alignment rack with the wheel turned a bit.