C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

OEM AMG LSD Picture?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
OEM AMG LSD Picture?

I am 99% convinced the car I a looking at doesn't have the LSD based on the datacard. However, just to be sure, is there a noticeable difference visually between the LSD and open diff? I mean when installed, of course. Can I crawl under and verify for myself? Does anyone have a pic of the LSD taken from underneath the car?

I understand some US-spec cars seem to have come with the cooling fins on cars w/ open diffs, while some w/ the LSD had the fins, and some didn't.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
There's no way to tell without the build sheet telling you there was the option of the LSD. I think it was option 471.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Take the car for a test drive and do a burn out....or hook a corner and nail the throttle.....

One Stripe - NO LSD

Two Stripes - LSD
Old 03-24-2016, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by callmiro
Take the car for a test drive and do a burn out....or hook a corner and nail the throttle.....

One Stripe - NO LSD

Two Stripes - LSD
That would be my preference. Unfortunately, the car I'm looking at is out of state (as in I am in NH and it is in CO). I plan on getting a pre-purchase inspection done, and was hoping I could have them take a quick picture while it's on the lift.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Ask for VIN.. run it at dealer. They will tell you.
But I like Callmiro's approach.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by MTV10
Ask for VIN.. run it at dealer. They will tell you.
But I like Callmiro's approach.
I have the Datacard, and it appears it does NOT have the LSD, but I was getting some conflicting info on what exactly was included w/ the P30 "package" (which I realize isn't really a package anymore but is still used "internally" by MB to denote the alcantara wheel, carbon spoiler, etc.)
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Mine does not have LSD but it easily lays down two beautiful stripes. Don't use that as a indicator of having or not.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by odonnks
Mine does not have LSD but it easily lays down two beautiful stripes. Don't use that as a indicator of having or not.
This.

OP -- Two options. 1 - Go to a dealer with the VIN and ask for the build sheet. 2- if the build sheet doesn't have option 471, LSD, then the only way it has one is if the seller installed one which I'd hope they'd know about.

You won't be able to tell just crawling under the car.

The whole burnout theory is bogus. It can work, but if you really want to know if there is an LSD then it is the last option short of cracking open the diff to see for yourself.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:08 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Don't overcomplicate this...there is most definitely a way to tell if the car has a limited slip without the datacard and without pulling the rear differential cover to look inside....you said "while they have it on the lift".... THIS is your key, a 2 post lift will give you all the info you need(actually so will a jack)....while it is in the air(or just the rear if they use a jack) with the key on but engine not running place the trans in neutral and with your hand spin one of the rear tires(doesn't matter which)....if the other tire spins in the opposite direction then the diff is open, if the other tire spins in the SAME direction you have a limited slip rear differential.... Simple as that
Old 03-26-2016, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
To answer your question:

There is NO way to visually tell if you have an LSD. Even if the data card does not show that it came from the factory as an option, you still could have an LSD (OE or aftermarket). The only way to know for sure is to open the diff and have it visually inspected. Of an unknown car, this would be the ONLY way to absolutely sure. Although you could look at the bolts on the diff and see if they have been messed with. B/c they would have had to come off at least once to do the diff fluid change @ 2000 miles, or to install one. It would be a pretty good indicator, but the only way to know is to take a look at whats in the diff.

And thats the truth, Ruth!
Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by jptaylor
Don't overcomplicate this...there is most definitely a way to tell if the car has a limited slip without the datacard and without pulling the rear differential cover to look inside....you said "while they have it on the lift".... THIS is your key, a 2 post lift will give you all the info you need(actually so will a jack)....while it is in the air(or just the rear if they use a jack) with the key on but engine not running place the trans in neutral and with your hand spin one of the rear tires(doesn't matter which)....if the other tire spins in the opposite direction then the diff is open, if the other tire spins in the SAME direction you have a limited slip rear differential.... Simple as that
^ this guy knows what he's talking about
Old 03-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 4matic Sport
What type of LSD does MB use in these cars?

Torsen? Clutch type? Cone? Visco-Hydraulic? Some type of electronic system?
Old 03-26-2016, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
MB uses a clutch type LSD in the W204 C63.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jordanaf
To answer your question:

There is NO way to visually tell if you have an LSD. Even if the data card does not show that it came from the factory as an option, you still could have an LSD (OE or aftermarket). The only way to know for sure is to open the diff and have it visually inspected. Of an unknown car, this would be the ONLY way to absolutely sure. Although you could look at the bolts on the diff and see if they have been messed with. B/c they would have had to come off at least once to do the diff fluid change @ 2000 miles, or to install one. It would be a pretty good indicator, but the only way to know is to take a look at whats in the diff.

Um, no....and poor deceived Ruth

....and like Mort said it is a clutch/plate style limited slip.

....if I'm not mistaken you can even tell whether a limited slip is clutch/plate or a Torsen by using the same method I described above....the difference being that with a clutch/plate unit the tires will each spin freely at the SAME speed in the SAME direction,indefinitely...but if the diff is a Torsen unit the rear wheels will BEGIN to spin at the same speed in the same direction but if you begin increasing the spinning wheel's speed with your hand it will begin to slow down the OTHER tire as the Torsen vectoring system inside applies internal friction to the slipping wheel in an effort to equalize traction across both tires.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Um, no....and poor deceived Ruth

....and like Mort said it is a clutch/plate style limited slip.

....if I'm not mistaken you can even tell whether a limited slip is clutch/plate or a Torsen by using the same method I described above....the difference being that with a clutch/plate unit the tires will each spin freely at the SAME speed in the SAME direction,indefinitely...but if the diff is a Torsen unit the rear wheels will BEGIN to spin at the same speed in the same direction but if you begin increasing the spinning wheel's speed with your hand it will begin to slow down the OTHER tire as the Torsen vectoring system inside applies internal friction to the slipping wheel in an effort to equalize traction across both tires.

You need to slow down. I completely agree with the method that you described above. But how can you possibly say no to opening the pumpkin and looking?? Are you that dense?? Yes, there is no reason for OP to over complicate this whole issue. But to say that looking at the LSD itself is not a way to determine what you have is ludicrous!! Your quick denial and inaccuracy baffled me. So, just to get this right, you are stating that opening the diff and looking at the part is not a way of verifying wether you have an open diff or not?
Old 03-26-2016, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Yes it is a way duh. But it's a ****ing retarded way when there are easier ways.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Im not doing it, so it doesn't bother me. OP has ZERO knowledge of his car. I was offering up a way that he could be absolutely certain. And in the process, he could either add an LSD at that point while its open or at the very least know that the fluid has been changed if the car has one. Doesn't seem ****ing retarded. Seems like those are 2 pretty decent outcomes for opening the pumpkin. Especially if the OP wants an LSD.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by jordanaf
To answer your question:

You didn't state that ^^this^^ was A way, you stated it was the ONLY way to visually verify that a vehicle has a limited slip, which is just not true....as I stated, and to which you agreed, you can most certainly verify visually if there is an LSD installed, without removing the cover. And as for your rant...calm down and let things sink in a little before popping off, I mean your last post makes out like you did not previously state that popping the cover was the "ONLY" way to know.... Your post was inaccurate and posed the potential for someone who was asking for real world advice in relation to making a large scale decision to overlook good cars for purchase strictly because they thought they would be required to open the rear diff housing on vehicles that aren't even theirs to make a details inspection when the same info can be obtained simply, quickly and without physically opening an intricate mechanical component of the car....it's ok, no one is mad at you, it happens to all of us...just don't lash back out with nonsense when you feel butthurt and corrected.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55

Well said! A variation of this goes like that: Jack the rear up, leave the tranny in P. Try to spin a rear wheel. If you can spin one, the other will spin the equivalent amount backwards. If you have a LSD, you cannot spin a wheel. It will be blocked.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble64
Well said! A variation of this goes like that: Jack the rear up, leave the tranny in P. Try to spin a rear wheel. If you can spin one, the other will spin the equivalent amount backwards. If you have a LSD, you cannot spin a wheel. It will be blocked.
Agreed.....
Old 03-26-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
Here is an oem LSD, I am going to swap mine out this spring once the snow is gone. Took me a while to find it.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:33 PM

W204 C63 R171
My understanding is if you pull one of the drive shafts and look in the hole like this LSD has this cross inside and open diff will only have one bar. Mine came from a car that had the LSD option but I am still not 100% sure either only way is to install it, my car is a 2008 so the likely hood of it having the LSD by accident is like impossible I tried all the jacking up tricks but I know when I am on ice only one wheel spins.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

507 SEDAN
Originally Posted by andrew c230k
Here is an oem LSD, I am going to swap mine out this spring once the snow is gone. Took me a while to find it.

That is the whole rear diff, the housing as it were or pumpkin. The actual LSD is inside of that.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Originally Posted by andrew c230k

As far as I know you cannot tell from the outside whether the insert is locking or open.
BTW, you have the standard US housing, without any cooling fins. If you think you might drive the car hard, for example take it to a few track days, consider swapping the rear lid and add the so called rectifier (cooling fin attachment). That way the diff will be thermally much healthier. See the FAQ section for a detailed build thread with pictures and part numbers. Given you have the diff lying around waiting to be installed this would be the ideal time to do that. About 300 $ is all it takes.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:50 PM

W204 C63 R171
I am going to install the aluminum back with the fins I was thinking about the cooler too but that's a bit overkill for my usage.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM AMG LSD Picture?