C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

can you educate me on a extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:10 PM

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
'16 CLS63S
can you educate me on a extended warranty

Regardless of which c63 I purchase in the near future, I would eventually want to get a extended warranty no matter what. One particular car I found is a 2012 with 16k miles and the factory warranty is ending in June 2016.

What are the options for a extended warranty whether it be from MB directly or a outside company?

My past few cars have been lease's so I havent dealt with a extended warranty for quite some time. I remember when I bought a 2004 Acura TL I was able to search the internet for authorized Acura dealers who were selling genuine Acura warranties for different prices. Does MB work like that as well?
Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 c63
I wanted to look into an extended warranty as well. The dealership i bought mine from said the company they use did not offer and extended warranty for AMG vehicles. They told me to go to a Mercedes dealership to try and buy one and i have not had the time to stop in. I priced one from USAA and they wanted around 8600 for 48 month 100k miles. Would be interested if you could report back what price you find!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Take your money and light it on fire.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by Evileight
I priced one from USAA and they wanted around 8600 for 48 month 100k miles.
Considering MB's factory warranty price increase about a year ago, that price is probably not too bad if you can get the 48 months after the CPO warranty for a total of 9 years of service out of the car.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
This has been covered a lot. Just read about what is covered and if AMG's are. A lot of places wont cover our cars or major warranty work.

Last edited by INS1GNIA; 03-25-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
The general principle of an extended warranty is to take the average cost of the coverage, add the cost of administering it, add profit to that and then charge the increased cost to the people buying that warranty. The cost passed on to the consumer is usually about 2 x the real average cost. If a 10,000 repair would drive you into bankruptcy, you may have to take such a warranty. If not, it will be cheaper to stay away from it and save the upcharge. On average you will come out ahead by 'self-insuring'.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
^ ding ding self insure.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I generally don't do warranties for products, but the last two times I've have ELW on an AMG, it's been worth it. Of course that's just my experience.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:57 PM

'16 CLS63S
I guess it boils down to fidelity or the company that my credit union uses ( https://www.cunamutual.com/ ) for warranties when you take a loan from them

The car probably wont be a CPO so the MB warranty is out of the question
Old 03-25-2016, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If the credit union requires an extended warranty, that means their loan will be more expensive than just the interest rate, plus the true cost becomes intransparent. That would be a huge negative for me and push me away from them.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 88 Posts
2006 E55
Can you get an ELW at any time as the car is still under original factory warranty? I think my warranty is good until late 2018 or so (I definitely won't get to the mileage, so just time for me).

Having said that, everything I've read and people I've talked to, these cars are pretty much solid with the motor and tranny - just some electrical things that may fail and even those aren't for certain and might be fine.

I just can't justify some of the pricing for the ELWs out there - CPO or third party - it seems like you're better off just going out of pocket if needed.

I agree with the poster above about lighting your money on fire. In my previous cars, two E55s, both out of warranty, neither of them gave me any problems outside of warranty. They were ROCK solid cars. I have a valve need replacing, but I think the cost was under $300 for parts and labor at the dealer - any responsible AMG owner should be able to afford that.

Again, this also has a lot to do with how all the owners took care of the car - you take care of the car, 9 times out of 10, you won't need all this warranty.

Save your $$ is my vote. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 PM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by Wobble64
If the credit union requires an extended warranty, that means their loan will be more expensive than just the interest rate, plus the true cost becomes intransparent. That would be a huge negative for me and push me away from them.
They dont require it but they offer the ext warranty at a discount if you get a loan from them.

A friend that I work with now was previously a master-tech at a MB dealership and a big car buff. I guess he could be my extended warranty if I really needed it lol. Hes been running the vin's I give him through his old dealership to bring up the maintance history of the vehicles Ive been looking at.

My past few cars have been lease's and honestly, I beat those cars hard. Not day goes by where those cars dont see redline at least once or twice a day. Thats just how I drive lol. With the lease I dont really car what happens to the car becuase I know Im not keeping it for the long haul. The c63 on the other hand will be mine and I have intentions to run it to at least 100k miles (I do about 20k/year)
Old 03-25-2016, 06:07 PM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
Can you get an ELW at any time as the car is still under original factory warranty? I think my warranty is good until late 2018 or so (I definitely won't get to the mileage, so just time for me).

Having said that, everything I've read and people I've talked to, these cars are pretty much solid with the motor and tranny - just some electrical things that may fail and even those aren't for certain and might be fine.

I just can't justify some of the pricing for the ELWs out there - CPO or third party - it seems like you're better off just going out of pocket if needed.

I agree with the poster above about lighting your money on fire. In my previous cars, two E55s, both out of warranty, neither of them gave me any problems outside of warranty. They were ROCK solid cars. I have a valve need replacing, but I think the cost was under $300 for parts and labor at the dealer - any responsible AMG owner should be able to afford that.

Again, this also has a lot to do with how all the owners took care of the car - you take care of the car, 9 times out of 10, you won't need all this warranty.

Save your $$ is my vote. Good luck.

Im reading that you can buy the MB ELW anytime while the car is under the original warranty IF you are the original owner of the car OR the car is CPO.

I guess if neither of those apply then you cant get it. I wouldn't buy the ext warranty from MB anyway since the pricing is outrageous. Plus, lots of members on this forum recommend fidelity since its way cheaper and have had positive experiences with them
Old 03-25-2016, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Let me tell you everyone thinks won't happen to me. There is a thread on this site of a guy that bought a 2011 c63. He bought an extended warranty. He had a fluke engine failure something with the valve and piston. Sounded like not a head bolt issue. End result he needed an entire new motor bottom and top end for grand total over 25k. Guess what his warranty paid for it. So you tell me. These motors are costly. Sure the odds of using it are low but when the stakes are high for repair bills I'm talking out protection. Got myself fidelity full coverage 5 year additional 60k miles for 3600 and I'm happy knowing don't have to worry. Each to their own though.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In many ways, insurance is like playing the lottery. I was at a fire protection auditor training with Factory Mutual in Hartford, Connecticut, and was told by the trainers that the real gambling capital of the US was not Las Vegas, but Hartford, since so many insurances are headquartered there.
Also when talking to lottery players you will hear a lot about winning. Very few people will tell you they have bought tickets every week for 40 years and have rarely won. In reality most lotteries pay out 30-40% of their ticket revenue. Insurance is the same. What you really buy is peace of mind. But it does not make financial sense, unless you have to do it, since an insurance case will bankrupt you.
For that reason, home owners fire insurance is a must for most of us. An extended car warranty may or may not be necessary. However, it costs, on average, a lot more than it pays out.
Unless you win the lottery.

Totally separate consideration: if you want to mod your car, even just with a tune, chances are you may get coverage refused.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my experience of ridiculousness, my credit union offered me extended warranty through mercury on my car. Think it was for a few years or whatever. I was surprised how affordable it was! The finance lady even did it twice to make sure it was right. A whooping 25K... yes that's twenty-five thousand dollars. lmao.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Originally Posted by AMGonFire
Let me tell you everyone thinks won't happen to me. There is a thread on this site of a guy that bought a 2011 c63. He bought an extended warranty. He had a fluke engine failure something with the valve and piston. Sounded like not a head bolt issue. End result he needed an entire new motor bottom and top end for grand total over 25k. Guess what his warranty paid for it. So you tell me. These motors are costly. Sure the odds of using it are low but when the stakes are high for repair bills I'm talking out protection. Got myself fidelity full coverage 5 year additional 60k miles for 3600 and I'm happy knowing don't have to worry. Each to their own though.
One thing to keep in mind about that situation is that a dealership does not rebuild engines. That same engine could have been rebuilt for probably a 1/4 of what they charged for a new engine.
That situation applies to all brands of vehicles and dealership repair.

For those owners that are mechanically inclined and don't mind getting their hands dirty, extended warranty can be a poor investment depending on costs.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:11 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I generally don't do warranties for products, but the last two times I've have ELW on an AMG, it's been worth it. Of course that's just my experience.
My experience:

Warranty: I'll recoup 80% in repairs (intake, door lock, driving module, etc.). Not really worth it unless for the peace of mind of your better half who didn't want you spending this much on a car anyway... and you want to avoid a costly repair on top...

Wheels/Windshield/Tires/Key/Dent Warranty: I lit my money on fire.