C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Vorsteiner V-ff 103 discussion.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 P31 black/black
Vorsteiner V-ff 103 discussion.

So based on a few threads and posts from vendors and emails from Vorsteiner I was thinking I was going nuts. The claim is the v-ff 103 fits on the rear of our C63 with no spacer. Well here are the photos to show that although they "fit" I sure as hell would not drive them like that. I am running a 3mm spacer that I was told "had to be there". I also verified that these wheels are +46 offset as listed on the decal. I figured pictures where better than just trying to explain.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
2016 S212 E400 RENNTech 345 whp/360 wtq
Will a piece of paper slide between the wheel and caliper? Thanks for making the effort to show this.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:39 AM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
Also to add information for those of you looking at tires and wheels. I'm running a 3 mm spacer so offset is effectively +43 on. 9.5" rim 19". Tires are 265/30zr19. I have min clearance on my inner fender lip and my fenders are not rolled.

I'm on coilovers and when I get a bit too low I rub the inner fender liners when driving fast and aggressive up in the mountains. In town I never rubbed. I raised the car just a bit and no issues. I don't want holes in my fender liners.

I figured many may appreciate the info when selecting wheels and tires.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Looks like they fit to me. Why would you say you wouldn't run them without the spacer?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Your issue is the actual thickness of the wheel mounting surface and not offset per say.

Changing the offset on that wheel would still give you the same clearance issue as the wheel mounting surface is too thin. If you have to run a 3mm spacer to get it to clear, then those are not made for your car.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Wouldn't a -3 different offset move the wheel spokes away from the calipers, just like what a 3mm spacer would do? I'm confused - to me this just sounds like a simple case of 'wrong offset', no? Or would the offset change the position of the wheel barrel only, and not spoke position? I wouldn't drive them like that without a spacer either.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Wouldn't a -3 different offset move the wheel spokes away from the calipers, just like what a 3mm spacer would do? I'm confused - to me this just sounds like a simple case of 'wrong offset', no? Or would the offset change the position of the wheel barrel only, and not spoke position? I wouldn't drive them like that without a spacer either.
I doesn't necessarily move the spokes....it moves the barrel.....thats why the lip changes
Old 04-05-2016, 01:52 PM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
Originally Posted by callmiro
I doesn't necessarily move the spokes....it moves the barrel.....thats why the lip changes
In this case it definately changes the offset. Lay the wheel on the face and measure total thickness. Divide that by 2. Then subrtact the distance from the wheel mounting surface and the rear face of the wheel. Adding the spacer changes the effective offset. It is only relative that the mounting surface is thicker or thinner. True the wheel offset is the same but the effective offset on the car is obviously changed.

Vorsteiners are "made to fit" wheel and no custom offset is available. This is why there are a lot of discussions about this wheel. These are the C63 spec wheel. I wanted to add pics and references as there has been a lot of discussion about them on this forum. Many are wondering how they fit or what the deal is as there is a ton of missinformation. Pics are proof and here they are.

No way in hell I would run a wheel that close to the caliper.....

Last edited by Eric ATP; 04-05-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, if they built them to fit your C63, and they don't fit except with a 3mm spacer, why aren't they building you another set? My Vorsteiners fit perfectly. Who's fault is this, it has to be one of these three:
1. you - did you provide the correct and complete information in order to make the wheels?
2. your shop/vendor - did they relay the correct information to the wheel manufacturer
3. the manufacturer (Vorsteiner) - did they just **** up or what

It has to be one of these three, which one is it and why is that party not taking responsibility.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:01 PM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
Originally Posted by callmiro
Your issue is the actual thickness of the wheel mounting surface and not offset per say.

Changing the offset on that wheel would still give you the same clearance issue as the wheel mounting surface is too thin. If you have to run a 3mm spacer to get it to clear, then those are not made for your car.
Per VORSTEINER AND THE VENDORS these are 100% specific for 2008-2014 C63.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I know some of your are uncomfortable with the caliper being so close, but in all reality if light can pass you'll be fine. I know, it looks close and your imagination takes you to some freak accident where the wheel gets hung up on the caliper and suddenly you're somersaulting down the highway.

Truth is, everything there is bolted and not moving. So again, if light can pass you'll be fine. So I find Vorsteiners claims to be accurate that these wheels will work on the c63 without a spacer.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:06 PM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
Well, if they built them to fit your C63, and they don't fit except with a 3mm spacer, why aren't they building you another set? My Vorsteiners fit perfectly. Who's fault is this, it has to be one of these three:
1. you - did you provide the correct and complete information in order to make the wheels?
2. your shop/vendor - did they relay the correct information to the wheel manufacturer
3. the manufacturer (Vorsteiner) - did they just **** up or what

It has to be one of these three, which one is it and why is that party not taking responsibility.
This is the email from VORSETINER.
This is the point of the post. Tons of bad info out there. These are what they are selling SPEC FOR THE C63. If you have a different set they are not the spec wheels they make for the C63.

Quote:
Hello Eric,

Thank you for the interest in the Vorsteiner Flow Forged line.

The V-FF 103's would look great on your C63 AMG. We currently offer the wheels in a 19X8.5 in the front and a 19X9.5 in the rear. Our wheels are application specific, the 9.5 in the rear is the only option we offer. Our current fitment in the rear is flush. Anything wider you are going to run into rubbing issues.

As a for warning you do have to run a 3MM spacer in the rear to clear the C63 BBK.

Below is a link to a recent C63 AMG we did our full aero and wheels on.

Let us know what you think.

Link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/vorsteiner/sets/72157653794955422

Yours Sincerely,

Nick Barnes
Account Manager
Old 04-05-2016, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ So, what's your issue? They warned you that a 3mm spacer would be needed if you have a BBK. But, for the majority of regular c63's the wheels will work without a spacer. You don't need the spacer on yours... You just want it to be comfortable.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, so you bought them anyway after they told you you would need a spacer. And now you're complaining about the spacer?

Sounds like the answer is #1....
Old 04-05-2016, 02:30 PM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
Ok, so you bought them anyway after they told you you would need a spacer. And now you're complaining about the spacer?

Sounds like the answer is #1....
No I've had them 9 months. I had ordered and was installing them when the issue came up. I got a decent price and likes the wheels so they offered and provided me the spacers.

The point of the post is to provide info to others buying the wheel. I understand some of you have a 13" wide wheel running 325's that don't rub. I'd love to see those pics and drive that car up in the mountains vs on the highway. There is a TON of people asking about the wheels and I wanted to put pictures and accurate info out for those looking for the info.

Buying wheels I wish others would do the same for me. VS just spouting off and saying their "similar but different" wheel fits fine. I started it as a V-ff Vorsteiner info thread and included all the details and pics for those considering these wheels. For what it's worth, nowhere was I complaining..........
Old 04-05-2016, 02:33 PM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
^ So, what's your issue? They warned you that a 3mm spacer would be needed if you have a BBK. But, for the majority of regular c63's the wheels will work without a spacer. You don't need the spacer on yours... You just want it to be comfortable.
There is NO SUCH THING AS A BBK on the C63. Only the black series are different. More missinformation.

Also apparently the emails and phone calls I had that said they where needed where "crazy talk". Oh ya they sent me the spacers for "FREE" on their dime......... And provided all new black lug nuts for my trouble.

This is an info post. Not a gottcha thread. Info for others buying these wheels. Gezzz

Last edited by Eric ATP; 04-05-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I know some of your are uncomfortable with the caliper being so close, but in all reality if light can pass you'll be fine. I know, it looks close and your imagination takes you to some freak accident where the wheel gets hung up on the caliper and suddenly you're somersaulting down the highway.

Truth is, everything there is bolted and not moving. So again, if light can pass you'll be fine. So I find Vorsteiners claims to be accurate that these wheels will work on the c63 without a spacer.
x2. Non-issue.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Eric ATP
No I've had them 9 months. I had ordered and was installing them when the issue came up. I got a decent price and likes the wheels so they offered and provided me the spacers.

The point of the post is to provide info to others buying the wheel. I understand some of you have a 13" wide wheel running 325's that don't rub. I'd love to see those pics and drive that car up in the mountains vs on the highway. There is a TON of people asking about the wheels and I wanted to put pictures and accurate info out for those looking for the info.

Buying wheels I wish others would do the same for me. VS just spouting off and saying their "similar but different" wheel fits fine. I started it as a V-ff Vorsteiner info thread and included all the details and pics for those considering these wheels. For what it's worth, nowhere was I complaining..........
Isn't making this thread a passive-aggressive complaint in and of itself? Comeon, admit it, it's ok.

Did you run the wheels without the spacers to check, or are you just more comfortable with the spacers that the manufacturer did not provide until you asked for them?

I'm confused about the order of events. When did you receive that email from Vorsteiner, before or after you had ordered the wheels? Was it like this: 1) you saw the wheels and inquired about them; 2) you get a price and are told they are made to fit; 3) you order the wheels and receive them
Now, is #4:
a) you fit the wheels and they made the car undrivable so you asked the manufacturer about it and THEN they told you that you would need spacers
or
b) you fit the wheels, did not like how close they were to the calipers (not comparing mine to yours, but mine fit with 1mm of clearance if that), and ASKED the manufacturer for spacers

Because, if it's (b) and not (a), then your 'informative' post is not really. Just saying.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 04-05-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Eric ATP
There is NO SUCH THING AS A BBK on the C63. Only the black series are different. More missinformation.

Also apparently the emails and phone calls I had that said they where needed where "crazy talk". Oh ya they sent me the spacers for "FREE" on their dime......... And provided all new black lug nuts for my trouble.

This is an info post. Not a gottcha thread. Info for others buying these wheels. Gezzz
There are BBK aftermarket kits, which is what I believe Vorsteiner was warning you about.

I understand you're frustrated, but don't take it out on us with all caps. You misunderstood, it's not misinformation. The wheels fit, as advertised, end of story. It's your personal preference to not have the wheel so close to the caliper, which again, as long as light can pass it will work.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:00 PM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
Isn't making this thread a passive-aggressive complaint in and of itself? Comeon, admit it, it's ok.

Did you run the wheels without the spacers to check, or are you just more comfortable with the spacers that the manufacturer did not provide until you asked for them?

I'm confused about the order of events. When did you receive that email from Vorsteiner, before or after you had ordered the wheels? Was it like this: 1) you saw the wheels and inquired about them; 2) you get a price and are told they are made to fit; 3) you order the wheels and receive them
Now, is #4:
a) you fit the wheels and they made the car undrivable so you asked the manufacturer about it and THEN they told you that you would need spacers
or
b) you fit the wheels, did not like how close they were to the calipers (not comparing mine to yours, but mine fit with 1mm of clearance if that), and ASKED the manufacturer for spacers

Because, if it's (b) and not (a), then your 'informative' post is not really. Just saying.
Boy it's like talking to a gtr fanboy. I inquired about the wheels through a vendor here on this forum. They got them from Vorsteiner and shipped them out. I was having them mounted and saw the red center caps on the demo pics they put out. I emailed them and Nick Barns emailed me back that reply. I called them and they confirmed I would need the spacers but they would provide them all at their cost. I also got the limited red center caps and a full set of black lug nuts.

The reason for the post is the fact that there is a ton of miss information posted about these wheels. Info that 100% contradicts what I was told and what I personally have. I have never run the wheels without the spacers and I bet I would run on my inner liners also if the spacer was removed. If your ok without the spacer and can accept the figment then by all means go for it. Correct figment or not these are the specific spec V-ff wheels being sold for our cars. Also again there are no BBK. The black series have a larger rotor and different mount. Heck there may be more spacing on a BS car. Just tons of bad info.

Instead of just tons of miss information I decided to post pics, show dimensions, and show proof of figment / rubbing in detail to help other enthusiasts vs just saying mine are the best..... Not anywhere did I state I had any issue or was I complaining or asking for anything. It seems there are some serious fanboys out their that feel posting information hurts a brand or something. I posted no flame, no missinformation, only pics and facts. Each to their own and I hope I help others with their purchase information.

I'm also not hating on Vorsteiner. I just paid a lot of money on their carbon rear diffuser. Not the knock off stuff many are sporting.

Last edited by Eric ATP; 04-05-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
Eric ATP -

I spoke with Vorsteiner and they told me that they changed the fitment of the wheels, and not the offset. I assume that means that they shifted or modified the spokes to create more spacing. SO that would mean that you have an older set.

I agree with BLKROKT's post above. If you only found out about the need for spacers after ordering, then I agree with venting your frustration. If I was told that I needed spacers before ordering, but then they changed the design to not require spacers, I would be personally annoyed, but understand that I would not have much to complain about. Either way, if I was in you situation, I would feel frustrated.

With that being said, I am likely ordering a set of these in grey for my ride.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not being a fanboi, just trying to figure out what the issue is here man. Chill.

"Need" spacers versus "want" spacers has still not been determined, but whatever man. Glad they're working out for you. With or without spacers, they look great.

And agreed, your diffuser looks great.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
Originally Posted by Spazdoc
Eric ATP -

I spoke with Vorsteiner and they told me that they changed the fitment of the wheels, and not the offset. I assume that means that they shifted or modified the spokes to create more spacing. SO that would mean that you have an older set.

I agree with BLKROKT's post above. If you only found out about the need for spacers after ordering, then I agree with venting your frustration. If I was told that I needed spacers before ordering, but then they changed the design to not require spacers, I would be personally annoyed, but understand that I would not have much to complain about. Either way, if I was in you situation, I would feel frustrated.

With that being said, I am likely ordering a set of these in grey for my ride.
I have had the wheels for 9 months........ Why would I vent fustration.... I have been active helping others with info on our cars and the info on these wheels has been very misinformed.
This explains 100%. And I have no issue with that. If would be Fing nice if they would have come clean earlier vs stating they fit and then covering it up. There are LOTS OF PEOPLE that have emailed and called them including my local dealer and they did not disclose that information. Where I kept getting emails was that others interested in my wheels and at local car shows where told they fit with no issue yet I was told I had to have the spacers. I started the thread to try and put some pics measurements with the information. Mine fit and work very well and I'm very happy with the way they just clear the fender. If the backspacing is the same on the "new" ones and the spokes changed then I would definately rub on the inner fender carpets. I already rub if I get even 3/8" lower than I am now. IMO if they where going to change anything it should have been the hub so they actually fit correctly. As it is changing the spokes and not hub or backspacing = the wheel runs farther inside the wheel well and the pictures I posted show where the rub problem is. Plus they will not run flush to the fender with that figment.

I do find it funny that so many said it was perfect to run it with no caliper spacing yet they told me not too and now have a changed wheel design.... Seems the wheel maker does not agree with the forum experts.

So it is finally nice to know there are different sets of these out there running around. That info is huge and has been hidden. Solves that issue and waists a ton of my time trying to help others.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:58 PM

2012 C63 P31 black/black
BLKROKT also sorry for the harsh reply. Just felt I was getting pretty beat up by Vorsteiner fans and I asked for nothing in return. I have had dozens of people asking me questions about my wheels and I finally decided to take my time to put up pictures and post the measurements. Frankly I could not understand why they told all these people the wheels fit yet I knew first hand it was a different story.

All they had to do was say they messed up the figment and instead of fixing it or eating the mistake they decided to sell the wheels anyway. Some businesses are ok with operating that way. Also they definately did not come clean which would have made this entire waste of time not nessisary.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Or.... Vorsteiner decided not to totally redesign the wheel, and everyone else has the same spacing and is running them just fine without spacers.

Either way they work fine for you with the 3mm spacer. It's not the end of the world, many many of us are using spacers. It'll all be ok.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vorsteiner V-ff 103 discussion.