C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Ross-Tech VCDS Equivalent: Vediamo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Ross-Tech VCDS Equivalent: Vediamo?

Prior to my C63, I owned a number of Audis and a few VWs. There's a company called Ross-Tech that sells a OBD-II cable that works with their proprietary software for any VAG car. With that, you're able to do basic things like read/clear DTCs, but also more advanced things like change factory settings that aren't available in any of the car's GUI sub-menus, and log data from various sensors.

For example, with VCDS I can turn off the annoying seatbelt reminder chime (obviously, I always wear my belts, but that 3-4 seconds before I fastened it is enough to trigger a sound/light show I'd rather avoid). I could also program the central electronics ECU so that I could close the windows/sunroof from the key fob.

I *think* Vediamo is the closest thing that Mercedes has to this. If I understand correctly, I would need a C3/C4 multiplexer like the MB Star SD Connect, which runs ~$550, PLUS a specific Dell laptop. It also appears several companies sell the SD connect with second-hand Dell laptops for $650. Do I have that right? Is there anything else needed?

Does anyone here have one? Can you give me an idea what kinds of "mods" you've been able to do with it?

Lastly, is there anyone in the New England area that has one and wants to make a few bucks? I'd LOVE to disable the seatbelt warning and change the navigation so that you can make entries at speed. Also, the remote close of the windows/sunroof would be cool.

Thanks for any additional info!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Remote close and open of the windows and sunroof is already a thing. Point the remote at the little sensor on the driver's door handle. Hold Lock or Unlock on the key fob to bring them to a close or open them
Old 04-07-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Remote close and open of the windows and sunroof is already a thing. Point the remote at the little sensor on the driver's door handle. Hold Lock or Unlock on the key fob to bring them to a close or open them
Ah, I did try but I was 15' away and I suspect the battery in my fob is dying. I'll replace it and try again. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
15 feet might be a bit far even for a fresh battery.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
OP - there is no low-cost MB alterantive to the VCDS and OBD II w/ CANbus cable that you could get for $20 from China (or $200 from Ross-Tech if you wanted full support and upgrades).

You need at least a C3/C4 mux (and these are now old but still useful) and the MB SD Connect / STAR / Xentry / DAS software, which on the black market is available in the form of old Dell laptop hard drives. They're (illegally) cloned hard drive images with the preconfigured and preinstalled software that was deployed on said laptops across MB dealerships. Vediamo would be on top of that in case you really want to get into the nitty-gritty stuff, but I'd say you're easily looking at a ~$1K outlay to do what you could do with a $20 cable and freely downloadable software in the VAG world.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis
OP - there is no low-cost MB alterantive to the VCDS and OBD II w/ CANbus cable that you could get for $20 from China (or $200 from Ross-Tech if you wanted full support and upgrades).

You need at least a C3/C4 mux (and these are now old but still useful) and the MB SD Connect / STAR / Xentry / DAS software, which on the black market is available in the form of old Dell laptop hard drives. They're (illegally) cloned hard drive images with the preconfigured and preinstalled software that was deployed on said laptops across MB dealerships. Vediamo would be on top of that in case you really want to get into the nitty-gritty stuff, but I'd say you're easily looking at a ~$1K outlay to do what you could do with a $20 cable and freely downloadable software in the VAG world.
Gotcha, that's what I had surmised. $1k isn't awful (the Ross-Tech cable I had was $349), but turns out the Euro Indy shop around the corner from me has an AutoLogic that can do some of the simple mods I'm looking to do. If I decide to stick with Mercedes for awhile (I'm notorious for changing cars frequently) I'll probably spend the money. Thanks!