Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 and 3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 and 3

So I've just fitted a new set of these tyres to my E63. My goodness, the sidewall flex is appalling

I used to run these tyres many years ago (the earlier version of course) on my Celica and they were brilliant, but then again - the chassis was set up really well and was stiff enough anyway. On the heavy E63, the whole car feel really bad during cornering and it's very disappointing. I'm running the new Asymmetric 3 on the front and Asymmetric 2 on the rear (they haven't released 3 for the rear yet).

I was previously running stock Potenza RE05A's and they were brilliant. Although the general ride was quite hard, the car handled brilliantly at high speed, especially on bendy country roads. However I figured that using a stickier tyre such as the Goodyears would be a good idea for grip off the line in first gear and because it's had so many great reviews, I figured it would be a worthy upgrade.

Grip off the line is indeed better and the ride is more comfortable. However at speed and on country roads, the car leans like you wouldn't believe and the entire driving experience is generally pretty awful. Turn in is slow, the response is poor and my oh my, the amount that the chassis leans before it loads up and can corner with stability is really bad also. It's really bad for bendy country road driving and makes the car feel like a giant boat...something it never felt like previously. I ran 38psi on the rear last night and 36 on the front...I'm going to try 42 on the rear tonight and then 40 on the front to see if that helps a little.

If it doesn't, I'll go back to the stock Potenza's and cut my losses. For reference, these tyres are a lot lighter than the Bridgestones (1.5kg-2kg weight saving per corner) and so acceleration is a little nicer. But for the trade off in handling, I'd rather I had the Bridgestone anchors.

I'll let you guys know how I get on with the higher tyre pressures. So far I'm pretty pissed though. These tyres weren't cheap...

From what I recall on my friend's C63 cars, the handling isn't as good as the E63. It felt similarly roll-happy and even in a straight line in the dry, traction could sometimes be a problem in 1st gear...not sure what tyres they have, but could also be to do with the narrower contact patch.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i ran the assym 2 on my mk6 golf gti previously, and i found them to be a very good tyre. perhaps it has something to do with the weight of the car. with a golf being significantly lighter.
as it stands, i ran the oem contis and found them to be terrible. i now run the michelin pss and they are an excellent tyre
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
yeah i'd agree with you on all points tbh.

also i ran conti sport contact 3 for a short while (used) and although the body roll was much better than the eagle F1's, the overall grip was less.

I'm debating buying michelin PSS now, but I know that i like the RE050A's so i'm a little scared that I might make another poor purchase.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
yeah i'd agree with you on all points tbh.

also i ran conti sport contact 3 for a short while (used) and although the body roll was much better than the eagle F1's, the overall grip was less.

I'm debating buying michelin PSS now, but I know that i like the RE050A's so i'm a little scared that I might make another poor purchase.
I don't think anyone has ever doubted the pss, every review has been glowing
Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
I hope so....
Tyre wear and cost take second place to me over overall performance. If those are better than the RE050A's, then I will buy them.

lol of course, that's what I thought would be the case with the Eagle F1's.....