Yokohama Advan AD08-R review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Yokohama Advan AD08-R review

Guys - I'll not even mess around here - BUY these tyres if you're serious about driving your car!

I just fitted a set of these to my E63 after having had Eagle F1 Asymmetric's on for 5 days and OMG the difference is unbelievable!

TBH I'd have been happy if these were similar to the RE05A's that I had on before the Goodyear tyres, but these new AD08-R's are in a different league altogether.

Bearing in mind, they've only been on for one day and they're still probably coated in preservatives on the outside and the best is yet to come....but early impressions are very very impressive (and I know what it's like to drive on R888's, A048's etc).

It feels as though I've done extensive suspension work on the car - hell, it handles so taught and composed even in comfort suspension mode! Can't wait to try it out in Sport II on country roads over the weekend. I"m running 42psi on the rear and 28 on the front (the tyre guy must have mis-heard me because I asked for 38 on the front).

A slightly harder ride is to be expected. However, grip off the line is brilliant (1st gear, traction in sport mode), turn in feels super sharp and crisp and feedback is excellent (lol yes I gave them a reasonably long test yesterday and this morning on my journey to the office!). Even the damn braking feels more composed and sharper.

Really happy with these and they were worth every penny. So glad that I went with these in the end. The Goodyears that i fitted last week were immensely disappointing.

All in all.....if anybody is looking to get tyres for their 63 AMG....well, this gets my full endorsement
Old 04-21-2016, 07:25 AM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
Good to hear about the performance you are experiencing, as there is not much in the way of feedback out there for these cars given its SL load rating, I don't think many use it on these heavy weight cars. Curious to hear more from you on them after you replace to see how they performed over their entire life span.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Yes this is true. The load ratings mean that I'm pretty much on the limits once I have a full car, so I'll need to keep approx weight in mind at all times and drive with extra care.

For reference, it's:
87 load front == 545 kg 1090kg
89 load rear == 580 kg 1160kg
Total max weight 2250kg

I believe with higher PSI, it builds in a higher margin of safety...and i tend to run 42 on the rear and 38 on the front....long distance drives will see these raised by 2-4 PSI occasionally. That being said, I'll probably need to check the max pressure on these tyres and ensure that I'm within the margin of safety via the tyre sensor monitor.

Ahh well. At least the car drives amazingly well now. I'll be sure to update this thread periodically.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Yes this is true. The load ratings mean that I'm pretty much on the limits once I have a full car, so I'll need to keep approx weight in mind at all times and drive with extra care.

For reference, it's:
87 load front == 545 kg 1090kg
89 load rear == 580 kg 1160kg
Total max weight 2250kg

I believe with higher PSI, it builds in a higher margin of safety...and i tend to run 42 on the rear and 38 on the front....long distance drives will see these raised by 2-4 PSI occasionally. That being said, I'll probably need to check the max pressure on these tyres and ensure that I'm within the margin of safety via the tyre sensor monitor.
Your 87 SL tires are rated for max 545kg (1202#) at 35 (36?) psi. Increasing the pressure on a SL-rated tire beyond 36 psi doesn't add any more capacity. Dropping pressure below 36 psi reduces load capacity by about 30 pounds per psi.

Here's a table that shows load capacity (pounds) vs pressure (psi) for different load ratings. The first one is for SL, the second for XL.
http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/...+inflation.pdf

I'm surprised to find that an 87SL and an 87XL have the same max load capacity. The SL achieves it at 36psi, the XL at 42psi. With both at 36psi, the SL's capacity is actually higher.

Last edited by zcct04; 04-21-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Thanks man, that's insightful.

I wonder why the chart stops at 36 though...confused.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Thx for sharing, but I'll stick to PSPs I've tried so many other tires and nothing performs like them
Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
AD08Rs have better dry grip than the PSS.

PSS have better wet grip than AD08Rs.

PSS is undoubtably the best all-around daily-tire to use.

AD08R is more for places that don't rain, and well, you can hoon it all the time. Tread life isn't amazing either.

Two different tires IMO.

I used to run AD08Rs on my R32. Great tires, but, a little sketchy in the rain, lol.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
It was tempting to get the PSS's because they're so highly recommended. But my rationale was that in the rain, I giggle and make the back end skip about deliberately when I drive anyway (for self amusement) so assuming I don't try to set any world records when driving, I should be ok. I hope!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
RE-11 > AD08-R
Old 04-22-2016, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
I wonder why the chart stops at 36 though...confused.
The simple answer is that the chart for SL stops at 36 because higher pressures don't add any further load capacity. For similar reasons, the XL chart stops at 42. The more difficult question is why. . . and I don't have a clue. Anybody here with tire design experience who could answer that?

It was tempting to get the PSS's because they're so highly recommended. But my rationale was that in the rain, I giggle and make the back end skip about deliberately when I drive anyway (for self amusement) so assuming I don't try to set any world records when driving, I should be ok. I hope!
. . . and THAT was a great response!
Old 04-24-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W204 C63 P30 / C190 GT S
I had AD08s on my old Porsche 996, they were amazing tires. I agree, they have worst wet grip than the PSS.
I had the AD08s and the PSS far apart, so I can't comment on dry grip and also they were on different cars.

I will buy new tires soon for the C63, haven't decided yet but since I already had several PSS sets on other cars and was very happy, I'm leaning towards PSS.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by zcct04
The simple answer is that the chart for SL stops at 36 because higher pressures don't add any further load capacity. For similar reasons, the XL chart stops at 42. The more difficult question is why. . . and I don't have a clue. Anybody here with tire design experience who could answer that?
Ahhh, fair enough. Thanks man. I appreciate the knowledge. I think what I really need to do at some point this week is drive to the local vehicle scrap dealer and have my car weighed for peace of mind, so I know the score with the actual weight of the thing with options, fuel etc. It'll help me sleep easier that's for sure.

Originally Posted by zcct04
. . . and THAT was a great response!
Hehe, why thank you sir. What I will say though, is that the wet grip is borderline dangerous is you try to even drive normally at moderate speeds with traction control on. Definitely seems to need a little extra care in very wet conditions. I guess I'll need to get used to them.

Originally Posted by tphss
I had AD08s on my old Porsche 996, they were amazing tires. I agree, they have worst wet grip than the PSS.
I had the AD08s and the PSS far apart, so I can't comment on dry grip and also they were on different cars.

I will buy new tires soon for the C63, haven't decided yet but since I already had several PSS sets on other cars and was very happy, I'm leaning towards PSS.
If it helps you to decide, I've tried several launches in the dry in sport mode this weekend and it doesn't spin at all from take off...tbh i'd prefer it if it did skip a little, but it doesn't. Seems to launch quite well. I think a much better launch can be safely attained now with traction control off, but I'm too scared to try it out on the road in case i make a mess of it and crash
Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 PM

W204 C63
Tread pattern on the AD08R is amazing though, lol.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
UPDATE AFTER 3 WEEKS

Ok so I've changed my mind to a degree now

Make no mistake, these tyres are superb and they grip very well. However, something doesn't feel right and I think...it's the actual car itself. I don't feel like the suspension set up and weight of the car works well with this tyre for some reason.

Part of the reason could well be that because they make the car 'feel' so tight and sharp like a lighter, more racier car, it's encouraging me to take corners too aggressively than I would normally have done beforehand. I dunno though....i used to drive very hard on the RE05A's and even on acute bends, the TRC light would seldom ever come on. With these tyres, it's a fairly regular thing for some reason. It's possible that because the chassis stays so taught and composed, I'm kidding myself thinking that it can go even harder and maybe that's what I'm doing...I dunno

Also, in sport mode, the car doesn't skip off the line and launch with a bit of drama...just a very boring launch without any fuss. But it's not a flying launch...it's just...really boring. Furthermore, in sport mode (i'm talking about traction control here btw) if I try to power out of a bend in the dry to get the tail out a little, it just grips....

I know these sound like first world problems and I sound like I'm complaining about 'problems' which not many would, but I feel as though a little bit more soul and drama would make the car more exciting to drive. It's already slow as hell, so I need the chassis to make up for it, for the moment.

I'll be going with Michelin Super Sports soon and fingers crossed, those will work out better for me. I'll still concede that these AD08R's are superb. I may well get them to replace the R888's on my Celica, but perhaps they're not sooo great for the big squishy Mercedes.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Alpha 9+4.2 GT-R > Caged 997 911 EVT750 > Noble M12 GTO-3R > 09' C63 > Xterra Off-Road

Make no mistake, these tyres are superb and they grip very well. However, something doesn't feel right and I think...it's the actual car itself. I don't feel like the suspension set up and weight of the car works well with this tyre for some reason.

Part of the reason could well be that because they make the car 'feel' so tight and sharp like a lighter, more racier car, it's encouraging me to take corners too aggressively than I would normally have done beforehand. I dunno though....i used to drive very hard on the RE05A's and even on acute bends, the TRC light would seldom ever come on. With these tyres, it's a fairly regular thing for some reason. It's possible that because the chassis stays so taught and composed, I'm kidding myself thinking that it can go even harder and maybe that's what I'm doing...I dunno

Also, in sport mode, the car doesn't skip off the line and launch with a bit of drama...just a very boring launch without any fuss. But it's not a flying launch...it's just...really boring. Furthermore, in sport mode (i'm talking about traction control here btw) if I try to power out of a bend in the dry to get the tail out a little, it just grips....

I know these sound like first world problems and I sound like I'm complaining about 'problems' which not many would, but I feel as though a little bit more soul and drama would make the car more exciting to drive. It's already slow as hell, so I need the chassis to make up for it, for the moment.

I'll be going with Michelin Super Sports soon and fingers crossed, those will work out better for me. I'll still concede that these AD08R's are superb. I may well get them to replace the R888's on my Celica, but perhaps they're not sooo great for the big squishy Mercedes.
I had a feeling this was coming...
I have tried them before and loved them...for 3-4 days. After that, they felt very unpredictable.
My favorite tires to date are R888's and PS2's...yes, I like PS2's over PSS's - the sidewalls on the PS2's are stiffer and that helps things rotate better (specially on a car like a 911 turbo).

I run R888s on my Alpha GTR and R888s on front on the EVT750 and PS2s on the rear.
On my C63 I run whatever I can find at a good price since I only use it for the occasional commute to work. I currently have Kumho Ectas up front and Continental's on the back...
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
I'm curious....which car did you run the Advan's on? ^^^ I'm not sure if it's a case of the chassis/weight transfer not being able to handle the changes in direction (meaning the weight is still shifting one way, while the steering it facing the other) due to the soft suspension and weight.

I'm running R888's on my lightweight Celica which is good to go in terms of the chassis - stripped out, coilovers, sways, polybushed etc - I'd like a lighter tyre, which the AD08R would be, but I wouldn't want it to be unpredictable...not in a car that has no electronic nannies 'just in case'.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Alpha 9+4.2 GT-R > Caged 997 911 EVT750 > Noble M12 GTO-3R > 09' C63 > Xterra Off-Road
I'm curious....which car did you run the Advan's on? ^^^ I'm not sure if it's a case of the chassis/weight transfer not being able to handle the changes in direction (meaning the weight is still shifting one way, while the steering it facing the other) due to the soft suspension and weight.

I'm running R888's on my lightweight Celica which is good to go in terms of the chassis - stripped out, coilovers, sways, polybushed etc - I'd like a lighter tyre, which the AD08R would be, but I wouldn't want it to be unpredictable...not in a car that has no electronic nannies 'just in case'.
I ran the advans on my EVT750.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:31 AM

W204 C63
I ran AD08-Rs on my VW R32, thought they felt real good.

They're not the best in the wet, or when they're cold, but when they were warm, they'd grip pretty darn well.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS63 S

Did you end up changing over to PSS? How do the two compare? I'm getting the AD08R's fitted to the rear wheels of my CLS on tuesday, replacing Pirelli P Zeros. The Yokohamas are on special in Australia at the moment, 4 for the price of 3, I plan to keep two for later. Since I tuned it my car has been chewing through the existing rears.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
No....I complain about them in terms oF. How clinical they are vs the soft chassis, but at the same time, I'll also complain about the extra weight of the PSS. Probably going to just burn these ones out and replace next year now. I've spent so much this year already on my cars.

You'll definitely notice the difference almost instantly once fitted to your TT motor car. Just be careful driving fast in the wet.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
OK, I've had 295/30R19 AD08R's on my rear wheels for a few days and I can say they are way better than my (admittedly 2 year old) Pirelli P-zeros. The Pirellis would break traction with just a jab on the accelerator, even when doing 60km/h. The Yokohamas take a lot more to break loose. So far its a thumbs up from me.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
These Advan AD08R (also known here as "Neova") are famous for the dry grip. People always give good recommendations about it.

Sorry to slide in a different question, not exactly related to this thread, but as many "tire expert" are here, maybe someone can help me.

My C63 black series tires are gone. Continental ContiSport 5 (255/35/19 front and 285/30/19 back). I was thinking about a better tire. Can't find the stock measures of the PSS, neither the AD08R nor TrofeoR. Closest call is 295/30/19. Will it fit?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:56 AM

W204 C63
Yes, you'll be fine to run a 295/30/19.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil Chow
Yes, you'll be fine to run a 295/30/19.
can I assume the 265/35/19 will fit in the front too? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:09 AM

W204 C63
Originally Posted by Vpatriota
can I assume the 265/35/19 will fit in the front too? Thanks.
Yup. Usually going up 1 size in tire is no problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yokohama Advan AD08-R review