C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Cracked windshield

Yesterday I was having some spirited runs on the highway with a new S6. I let him ahead then we both punched it. As I was about to switch lanes to pass him a pebble flew up and cracked my windshield right at the driver side border and made a 10inch line. I have glass coverage with Geico. I insisted on OEM glass and having the dealer do it over an outside source. They agreed. I am very apprehensive about windshield work because I only had one replaced one time on my 350Z 9 years ago and satellite did it and I had extra wind noise when it was done. I hope because I am going to the best dealer in the area, with a friend that works there and has pull, he is getting me the best tech to do the job for me. The glass comes in Thu and the tech is available on Monday so I need to wait.

Any of you guys have good glass replacement stories? I will be meeting this tech for the first time. My buddy told the tech I am very caring about my cars so he will make sure it isn't driven by anybody but him, etc. I would hate to have someone bend one of my wheels, etc.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 PM
EkS

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C63
The dealer actually has a tech on staff to do windshield replacements? Usually this gets contracted out.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by EkS
The dealer actually has a tech on staff to do windshield replacements? Usually this gets contracted out.
Yea this dealer has 2 techs that are trained for windshields. They do a few a week. NY/NJ sucks for gravel and pebbles. Some dealers in this area have dedicated glass in house techs and others sublet out. This is one of the ones that has guys in house.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Had mine done at the dealers onsite body shop, they do a lot of glass work too
Looked as new and everything worked including rain sensors
Old 05-10-2016, 02:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I gotta get mine done too. Somehow I got a nasty hit on the driver side way below the dash margin so when driving, the windshield actually looks pristine. But there is a nasty hit which created a deep cracked line all the way from the drivers corner to almost the center speaker. You can't see it when you are inside the car. I am hesitant to go...
So..........scared.........
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 C63 AMG (sold), 2006 M3 (sold)
Done my windshield from a rock chip via dealer recently. Excellent work, can't tell it's been replaced. They even reused most of the original clips and other parts (did my rear and rear sides aswell) that were still mint and reimbursed me for the cost of parts they could reuse. Also had them add a high quality uv clear film on all my windows to help protect the interior. Good luck and hope it gets done properly like it should!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I gotta get mine done too. Somehow I got a nasty hit on the driver side way below the dash margin so when driving, the windshield actually looks pristine. But there is a nasty hit which created a deep cracked line all the way from the drivers corner to almost the center speaker. You can't see it when you are inside the car. I am hesitant to go...
So..........scared.........

This is kind of how I fel except my crack is in my field of vision and I know the windshields are structural parts of cars so now the integrity of that part is compromised.

I have to get it fixed I just love my automobiles a lot and worry that they will not be taken care of to the same level of care as I would if I was doing the job myself.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C63amg Tokyo
Done my windshield from a rock chip via dealer recently. Excellent work, can't tell it's been replaced. They even reused most of the original clips and other parts (did my rear and rear sides aswell) that were still mint and reimbursed me for the cost of parts they could reuse. Also had them add a high quality uv clear film on all my windows to help protect the interior. Good luck and hope it gets done properly like it should!
That's awesome and you are lucky!

Originally Posted by ENV²
This is kind of how I fel except my crack is in my field of vision and I know the windshields are structural parts of cars so now the integrity of that part is compromised.

I have to get it fixed I just love my automobiles a lot and worry that they will not be taken care of to the same level of care as I would if I was doing the job myself.

Well make sure they use the spider rather than saw it out. Its a much gentler method. Wrap all the interior areas that could get scratched. The main things I have read about is:

1. Too much glue being used
2. Creaking afterwards
3. Damage to the pillars
4. Rain and light sensors no working correctly
5. Water leaks

If done by a pro who does this day in and day out, I wouldn't expect to see any of this...

Still......soooo.....scared......
Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:39 PM

Nice! I love new windshields. It'll make a 10 year old car feel new again.

Always always always go for OEM when going through insurance. Don't settle for safelite or whatever else. Also if you're driving down the road and gravel/rocks is kicked up and that's what damaged your windshield, the claim should be covered under comprehensive, so your insurance premium shouldn't go up. If that's not how it happened, yes it is. lol.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
since youre goin through the dealer with oem windscreen, you shouldnt worry too much. some stories ive heard are rain and light sensors not functioning as it used to. had mine replaced on my old w202 and it was perfect, though i didnt have the functions i mentioned so yeah. goodluck mate!
Old 05-11-2016, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by beejAMG
since youre goin through the dealer with oem windscreen, you shouldnt worry too much. some stories ive heard are rain and light sensors not functioning as it used to. had mine replaced on my old w202 and it was perfect, though i didnt have the functions i mentioned so yeah. goodluck mate!
yup, even safelite will tell you they cant guarantee the rainsensors will work as they dont know how to ensure they are programmed even though they claim its the exact same oem maker of the glass.

go to the dealer get the oem glass and the sensors will work.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
I also have a rock chip on my windshield (F*** I4). Florida has some laws which require the insurance to cover this for free so I'm not worried about cost. Usually Safelite or one of those companies takes care of it. If its a replacement situation i want OEM mercedes idk if safelite does that and i don't think the dealership I go to has onsite techs... but also, its a big chip about nickel sized so maybe they can fill it in or something they do like that?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by EkS
I'm surprised too. My local dealership contracts someone out to do the job.
I had mine replaced by safelite at home with OEM. They did a good job as I was watching the tech.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by abcut973
I'm surprised too. My local dealership contracts someone out to do the job.
I had mine replaced by safelite at home with OEM. They did a good job as I was watching the tech.
did the rain sensors work? safelite told me they use the oem equivalent glass made at the same plant but they cant guarantee the rain sensors will work as they are unable to program them