C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Dealer wouldn't replace tires I purchased due to MileOne...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 88 Posts
2006 E55
Dealer wouldn't replace tires I purchased due to MileOne...

Just got back from the dealer. My SA, whom I've worked with for YEARS on both of my previous two E55s, which he turned a blind eye etc. on told me that the tires I took to them to replace on my C63 could not be done due to MileOne?

He said that tires must be replaced at the dealer through the dealer's purchased tires and they can't be from an outside purchased vendor that the customer brings. He said there was a liability issue last year that the woman bought the tires, had them replaced there, and ended up having accident and blamed the dealer's work for damages.

I asked him if all MB dealers were like this nowadays and he said most are.

Now I've worked with this guy for several years and I doubt he'd be blowing smoke just to make the dealer some money (I'm assuming they would through whatever means the do to purchase tires), but now I'm wondering if what he could was in fact legit.

Just wondering if others have heard or ran into this same situation. Now I have to either find a reputable dealer that I can trust to do the tires, mount/balance/align or an Indy shop that I can trust can do the same work as the dealer.

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Never heard of that, but they're tires man. Anyone can do that. Seriously, just a tire - the technology and know-how to do this has been around for 75yrs. Even if they're not capable of doing the alignment (bring it to the dealer after), I bet there are hundreds of qualified tire shops near you that are perfectly capable of mounting a tire as well as anyone.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 88 Posts
2006 E55
Yea, you're right. It was just unexpected and I was wondering if he was bull****ting me or something, which I highly doubt he would since I've went to him for lots of repair and maintenance work over the years. But yea, I'll have to just find another reputable shop. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Put 60k on my car and the only damage done to one of my wheels was when I got a flat and the dealer replaced that tire. All my other tires hve been replaced at a nice indy shop. Dealer prices are outrageous for tires you would want. I just go through tirerack and have them shipped to the installer. What the dealer says does make sense though.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Put 60k on my car and the only damage done to one of my wheels was when I got a flat and the dealer replaced that tire. All my other tires hve been replaced at a nice indy shop. Dealer prices are outrageous for tires you would want. I just go through tirerack and have them shipped to the installer. What the dealer says does make sense though.
Completely agree. Although I can't stand Tire Racks Warranty Service so I'm no longer a customer there after about five years of buying from them.

Tire shops around here are happy to match the Tire Rack pricing and they'll actually honor their Road Hazard Warranties should something go wrong on the road.

Also, when looking for tire shops ask what machines they use to mount the tires. This actually makes a huge difference in danger to the faces of your wheels. Usually reverse mounting, meaning the faces are downwards will suffice, but my all time favorite machine is the Corghi Artiglio Master. This is truly a touchless machine.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Go to a local tire shop and get the job done. End of the story
Old 05-26-2016, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Never heard of that, but they're tires man. Anyone can do that. Seriously, just a tire - the technology and know-how to do this has been around for 75yrs.
That may be obvious to you, me, and anyone with an IQ over 90 who has ever had to use a screwdriver in their life.

But try explaining it to someone behind an underwriting desk who has almost but not quite mastered the of not peeing on himself at the urinal and (usually) getting it zipped back up afterwards. Just try. I defy you.

And don't get me started on the lawyers who got us here. This is where we end up when everyone and their brother is looking to win the lawsuit lottery.