C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Phenolic spacer

Old 06-05-2016, 02:07 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 C63/ 2015 C63 507 coupe
Phenolic spacer

So I'm thinking of doing a phenolic spacer on my Weistec stage two blower. i have been finding that the IAT's could use some more efficiency and this may be a a good way to get the ecu to not pull timing. I do know this has been done with minimal results in the past with the m113k platform but that setup is different. Any constructive thoughts?
Old 06-05-2016, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Do you have an ice tank?
Old 06-05-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Do you have an ice tank?
Yes I do
Old 06-05-2016, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I have a set of Thermalnator phenolic gaskets sitting here with new OE gaskets (2 sets) and intake manifold bolts. Meant to do it yesterday but got busy with other things. If you do a search here, there have been a few who tried it but no data to show any difference. The concept/theory is sound enough, and other cars really benefit from the intake being isolated from the heads with these, that I tought it was worth a shot.

One thing I was alerted to, is that these gaskets effectively make the intake manifold runner length longer (3/8"?). Not sure what impact that has, if any. I don't think its a major concern.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I have a set of Thermalnator phenolic gaskets sitting here with new OE gaskets (2 sets) and intake manifold bolts. Meant to do it yesterday but got busy with other things. If you do a search here, there have been a few who tried it but no data to show any difference. The concept/theory is sound enough, and other cars really benefit from the intake being isolated from the heads with these, that I tought it was worth a shot.

One thing I was alerted to, is that these gaskets effectively make the intake manifold runner length longer (3/8"?). Not sure what impact that has, if any. I don't think its a major concern.
We were thinking of going in between the blower and the manifold. I need to do some measurements to see if we can get a half inch of space there (so there is no hitting the underside of the hood) I have seen great results in other platforms and don't really see a downside to it and it may help with the slight belt slip I'm getting
Old 06-05-2016, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
It could be a great thing...could be a bad thing. I've always been sceptical of phenolic spacers on any platform tbh, but funnily enough, the by-product of it effectively changing the runner lengths is probably IMO what makes the power gains/deficit on some cars.

It's the whole reversion and then ram effect of when air bounces against the valves when they're shut and then time it takes for it to bounce back against the plenum and then finally back into the engine when the valves open again. When the runner length and rpm range/vacuum is just right, an extra amount of air will get shoehorned/rammed into the cylinder. It's a bit like boost....only it gives a few hp and not a hundred
Old 06-05-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
W204 C63 P30 / C190 GT S
It's not in the same platform or engine level, but I installed one a few months ago in my 2010 Nissan Xterra (4.0L V6), and the results that people reported on forums and from the manufacturer, well, I didn't feel a difference really.

If you asked me today if I would install it again the answer would be no.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
I have been using the spacers from SIKKY for just over a week. Since then I no longer have the hot start, light engine shaking I used to have. Kind of like the fuel is cooking in the rail. It wasnt the manifold or gaskets because I had already swapped the intake a few months prior and had the same hot start shaking before and after. I also noticed that the car feels like it pulls stronger then before from 65+. Sorry no before and after dyno runs. I also made a pigtail harness for the IAT and remote installed it into the right air duct in front of the engine oil cooler. So far no weired running issues or CEL I lugged it a few times up hill. Had a light ping one time no other issues. This is with a NA setup not with a SC.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C63 AMG
I've been using them on boosted motors for years. They make a big difference in the intake temps. I looked for some data to show before and after for IAT but no luck so far. You couldn't stick your hand on the intake manifold before now it's nice and cool. Well, not cool but you can definitely feel a big difference.