C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Eurocharged Tune Issue?

Old 07-02-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Eurocharged Tune Issue?

So for the past couple of weeks I noticed that my car was having progressively hard up shifting. When I take off from a start or even gas it from a slow roll it up-shifts WAY to early. So much so that the car feels like it's bogging down. This was slight/sporadic at first but now the symptom happens every time I attempt to have a little fun.

Fearing the worst (transmission or valve body problem) I decided I would take it to the dealer for a diagnosis. In preperation for this I decided to revert back to stock tune to avoid any issues with MB.

Well oddly enough, by reverting back to the stock tune my car shifts strong and at perfect timing again. So does anyone know what might have been the cause of these shift problems? Tune or something else? I lean to tune since reverting back to stock seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I would still drive around for a while to see if the problem comes back on a stock map. If it doesn't, load the EC tune again and see what happens.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 385 Likes on 258 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Might be adaptation related, if you grandma the car around a lot then it assumes your going to continue doing that and it will shift earlier and reduce throttle input sensitivity
Old 07-02-2016, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
TCU reset
Old 07-02-2016, 06:27 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
TCU reset
Would reloading the tune reset the TCU? Otherwise I wouldn't think this is it since it shifts much better without the tune.

Originally Posted by deadlyvt
Might be adaptation related, if you grandma the car around a lot then it assumes your going to continue doing that and it will shift earlier and reduce throttle input sensitivity
Haha. My car hasn't been grandma'd in its entire life.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
If they tune the TCU than a flash of the stock tune will reset the adaptations.

If there's a mechanical issue in the trans the harsh shifting will return once the adaptations relearn, takes about 20 shifts meeting certain conditions to start to adapt, so it might be a while depending on your driving habits and cycles.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EC does not tune the TCU
Old 07-03-2016, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
EC does not tune the TCU
Wuhhhhhhhhhh. You don't say.

Did you catch that Weistec is no longer offering the TCU upgrade?
Old 07-03-2016, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Wuhhhhhhhhhh. You don't say.

Did you catch that Weistec is no longer offering the TCU upgrade?
Yeaaaaaah waaaay duuude

I saw that. Very strange. No real good reason for pulling that off the market. I assume this means my trans is about to blow at any second....
Old 07-03-2016, 01:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
im also having a weird upshift issue post tcu/vb upgrade and the tune update for the stage 2. it seems normal and fine when i drive aggressive but if I'm just slow cruising (traffic) it has a hard upshift in that 1500-2000 rpm range in 20-30 mph usually in 2nd gear.

Don't know why they pulled off the tcu upgrade but I think it may be to just have everyone do the full trans upgrade instead? i think my car was one of the last ones to get the tcu upgrade
Old 07-03-2016, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Yeaaaaaah waaaay duuude

I saw that. Very strange. No real good reason for pulling that off the market. I assume this means my trans is about to blow at any second....
There actually is good reason, at least in my opinion. Their supplier isn't stepping to the plate 100%. Weistec is the one whose name is at stake, and they don't want to take the risk in which people will point the finger at them for something they have minimal control over.

With all the staffing issues they have been going through, I don't blame them.

That all said, I bet someday we see the TCU upgrades available again sooner than later. It is just difficult to be in business and then have to point the finger at someone else for flaws that fall under your name but rest under someone else.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by akmatic63
im also having a weird upshift issue post tcu/vb upgrade and the tune update for the stage 2. it seems normal and fine when i drive aggressive but if I'm just slow cruising (traffic) it has a hard upshift in that 1500-2000 rpm range in 20-30 mph usually in 2nd gear.

Don't know why they pulled off the tcu upgrade but I think it may be to just have everyone do the full trans upgrade instead? i think my car was one of the last ones to get the tcu upgrade
Again, TCU upgrade being pulled is a supplier issue, not a Weistec issue.

The upshift issue is normal. If you are stock then it is fine because the mapping and what not is under MB AMG parameters. But the moment we stretch beyond those we need to expect the harshness that comes with it.

I compare it to the F10 M5. It is a bit harsh, clunky, etc. But if you bring your car to that level you just have to get in the mindset that you are going to make sacrifices. In this case, it is that hard 2nd - 3rd or 3rd - 4th upshift. In return, you get additional / quicker power when you put your foot in it.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
There actually is good reason, at least in my opinion. Their supplier isn't stepping to the plate 100%. Weistec is the one whose name is at stake, and they don't want to take the risk in which people will point the finger at them for something they have minimal control over.

With all the staffing issues they have been going through, I don't blame them.

That all said, I bet someday we see the TCU upgrades available again sooner than later. It is just difficult to be in business and then have to point the finger at someone else for flaws that fall under your name but rest under someone else.
Is this true, that it's a supplier issue? I thouht they were tweaking the VB and doing the TCU coding in-house? Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Now it makes sense. The other reason I was given, that they just wanted people to go full trans upgrade or nothing, didn't sound right.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by sharkey_lsu
So for the past couple of weeks I noticed that my car was having progressively hard up shifting. When I take off from a start or even gas it from a slow roll it up-shifts WAY to early. So much so that the car feels like it's bogging down. This was slight/sporadic at first but now the symptom happens every time I attempt to have a little fun.

Fearing the worst (transmission or valve body problem) I decided I would take it to the dealer for a diagnosis. In preperation for this I decided to revert back to stock tune to avoid any issues with MB.

Well oddly enough, by reverting back to the stock tune my car shifts strong and at perfect timing again. So does anyone know what might have been the cause of these shift problems? Tune or something else? I lean to tune since reverting back to stock seems to have fixed the problem.
If you haven't already...

Reset your ECU.
The procedure to reset the ECU is as follows:

1. Turn the ignition key to the "on" position which is just before you crank the engine to start.
2. Press the accelerator to the floor and hold for 5 seconds.
3. Then turn the key to the off position but do not remove the key, then release the accelerator.
4. Wait at least 2 minutes, the ECU is then reset.
5. ECU is now reset and you are ready to get new rear tires.

The ECU reset procedure only erases the adaptive transmission and throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel, timing or other programming.

Read more: Easiest way to reset my ECU

Also let the car fully warm up, do some spirited driving, then test it out.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:33 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
I've never owned a C63, or had a tune so my reply would be worthless........Hi Vic!!
Old 07-03-2016, 09:26 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by INS1GNIA
If you haven't already...

Reset your ECU.
The procedure to reset the ECU is as follows:

1. Turn the ignition key to the "on" position which is just before you crank the engine to start.
2. Press the accelerator to the floor and hold for 5 seconds.
3. Then turn the key to the off position but do not remove the key, then release the accelerator.
4. Wait at least 2 minutes, the ECU is then reset.
5. ECU is now reset and you are ready to get new rear tires.

The ECU reset procedure only erases the adaptive transmission and throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel, timing or other programming.

Read more: Easiest way to reset my ECU

Also let the car fully warm up, do some spirited driving, then test it out.
I will give that a shot. But can anyone confirm that swapping between modified and stock tune will also rest the ECU? If so then technically the ECU would have been reset yesterday, when I reverted back to my stock tune, right?

Also, if this is true and the shifting issues do come back...then what could be causing the problems? I would think that something tranny related would be present even after an ECU reset since that is mechanical. So maybe I can rule that out for now?
Old 07-03-2016, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
My challenge here right now is with the title of this thread. People see that and think "some guy with a Eurocharged tune is having issues" and files that away til his buddy mentions tunes and then says "oh, I've read that....." Doesn't seem fair. Your tune isn't the issue here. I've tuned two of these things via Eurocharged and never had an issue nor has anyone else I know. Not sure if you can change thread title or not. Couldn't for a long time but maybe that has changed.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:54 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 604 C63
My challenge here right now is with the title of this thread. People see that and think "some guy with a Eurocharged tune is having issues" and files that away til his buddy mentions tunes and then says "oh, I've read that....." Doesn't seem fair. Your tune isn't the issue here. I've tuned two of these things via Eurocharged and never had an issue nor has anyone else I know. Not sure if you can change thread title or not. Couldn't for a long time but maybe that has changed.
If you read my original post and also notice the "?" In my title...I do think it may be something to do with the tune. I started this thread in hopes of getting advice as to what could be the problem and if it is not the tune. That's why in my original post I said "...Tune or something else?".

And so far I have not found a reason to rule out the possibility of there being an issue with/caused by my tune. Basically I had problems with shifting, reverted back to stock tune, and now the problems are gone (so far). So what reason would I have to NOT think it could be the tune.

I'm not trying to beat up on Eurocharged or anything like that. I had a scare with my car and am hoping to get advice from other members as to what could have been the problem.
Is that not what this forum is for?
Old 07-03-2016, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
I have a headache. It MAY be a brain tumour. I haven't seen anything that says its not. So in the meantime, I'll just
send people emails that say Brain Tumour? in the subject line.

Solid logic.
The following 2 users liked this post by 604 C63:
BLKROKT (07-03-2016), INS1GNIA (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
I have a headache. It MAY be a brain tumour. I haven't seen anything that says its not. So in the meantime, I'll just

Solid logic.
I laughed pretty damn hard at that one, very nice.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG

Solid logic.
(In my best Arnold Schwarzenegger voice) It's NOT a tumah!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,350 Likes on 2,806 Posts
2012 CLS63
it probably is a tumor
Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Well, we haven't figured out if it's a tumour or maybe I have a headache because I laid out in the sun for 9 hrs yesterday in my American flag Speedo's and drank a jug of Mezcal mixed with pink lemonade and snorted a couple dozen lines of crushed up Pez candies mixed with crystal Draino.

Either way, it could be a tumor kind of thing, and people should keep in mind there is a question mark in the subject line. Gotta run now - my mom looks like she got hit with a stun gun, my kids are hysterical and my wife is speed dialing my life insurance salesman and walking around muttering "Better Call Saul".

But my car is shifting great, so that's a plus.

Last edited by 604 C63; 07-04-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:11 AM

2013 C63 AMG
I must admit the whole headache/tumor thing was pretty funny...but you went somewhere weird with this last post.

Anyhow, I can see how it might be unfair to put Eurocharged in the thread title until I am 100% certain it is a tune problem. With that said, I do not see any tools for editing the title.

Well, we haven't figured out if it's a tumour or maybe I have a headache because I laid out in the sun for 9 hrs yesterday in my American flag Speedo's and drank a jug of Mezcal mixed with pink lemonade and snorted a couple dozen lines of crushed up Pez candies mixed with crystal Draino.

Either way, it could be a tumor kind of thing, and people should keep in mind there is a question mark in the subject line. Gotta run now - my mom looks like she got hit with a stun gun, my kids are hysterical and my wife is speed dialing my life insurance salesman and walking around muttering "Better Call Saul".

But my car is shifting great, so that's a plus.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Humour IS weird. That's how we ended up with Arnold Schwarzenegger giving me an internet medical diagnosis.

I don't think you can change the title, I'm just saying its a shame, and there's a lesson there for all of us. I made the same mistake in another forum once, and that thread lived on like a monster every time someone had an issue they wanted to pin on something.

BTW your signature shows your car as being "Eurocharched". Now, THAT's weird lol.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Eurocharged Tune Issue?