C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

What tune does my C63 have

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 AMG
What tune does my C63 have

I just bought an 08 C63 and was told it had a ecu tune installed by the previous owner, although the dealer was not sure of the exact tuner. The car is definitely faster than a stock C63, so I know it has a tune, just not sure which one.

Is there anyway to verify what tune it has?

Thanks!

Al
Old 07-16-2016, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Only way to find out is to get the info from the previous owner. Surely the dealer will have their contact info and can make a call for you.
Old 07-16-2016, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Just curious if you bought from an MB dealer. Cos I would be shocked if they hadnt flashed back to stock.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Just curious if you bought from an MB dealer. Cos I would be shocked if they hadnt flashed back to stock.
The first c63 I bought had a kleemann tune and secondary cat / res delete, all from the dealer. The only problem was they couldn't get the car to pass inspection because the monitors had been turned off from the tune, if it would've passed they would've given the car to me as is.

They ALMOST ended up buying a full exhaust (headers back) because they couldn't figure it out and thought the cats were done. And the tech was convinced no secondary cats were also causing failures (obviously not) so thats where the full exhaust idea came from.

I knew more about things like this than they did, and I just came out and told them what to do. Saved the dealer about $8k. I could've even conned a set of MBH headers with high flow cats and back from there into MBH mids and out a stock rear, that route was cheaper than OEM. But again, ripping people off like that isn't my style and as a result I could just pull up whenever I needed minor service and little nickle and dime items and they'd take care of me.

Anyway, long story short, it's no surprise a dealer would sell a car with a tune (or mods) as long as it passes inspection.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
The dealerships closest to me are owned by MB Canada, so maybe thats why the difference.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:12 AM

2008 C63 AMG
Brining this thread back from the dead.

I still haven't been able to track down what tune I have as the dealer picked the car up from auction.

The car went 12.5@118 so I know it is chipped, just can't determine what tune it has.

Also, the reason why I am determined to find out what tune it has is I believe that the tune is causing my rad fan to stay on high speed within minutes of starting the car and remaining on high until the engine is shut off. Not a huge deal but I think the tune is also affecting my air/conditioning system and causing the a/c compressor to cycle on and off. The a/c issue is what I really want to resolve.

Is there a list of possible tuners that I can start with? I am aware of RENNtech, Eurocharged, Weistec, MHP, Kleemann. Any others?

I don't care if I have to call them one by one to find out.

Anyone aware of a tune that would cause the rad fan to stay on high?

Last edited by CanadianC63; 08-02-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
The rad fan can get adjusted with a star sds computer and is not done on the actual map files we get.

​​​​​
Old 08-02-2017, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 94 Likes on 73 Posts
E55 AMG & C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CanadianC63
Brining this thread back from the dead.

I still haven't been able to track down what tune I have as the dealer picked the car up from auction.

The car went 12.5@118 so I know it is chipped, just can't determine what tune it has.

Also, the reason why I am determined to find out what tune it has is I believe that the tune is causing my rad fan to stay on high speed within minutes of starting the car and remaining on high until the engine is shut off. Not a huge deal but I think the tune is also affecting my air/conditioning system and causing the a/c compressor to cycle on and off. The a/c issue is what I really want to resolve.

Is there a list of possible tuners that I can start with? I am aware of RENNtech, Eurocharged, Weistec, MHP, Kleemann. Any others?

I don't care if I have to call them one by one to find out.

Anyone aware of a tune that would cause the rad fan to stay on high?
12.5 @ 118 does not mean the car is tuned.

Simply call the tuner companies and provide them with your VIN....
Old 08-02-2017, 11:24 AM

2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
The rad fan can get adjusted with a star sds computer and is not done on the actual map files we get.

​​​​​

Really? So none of the tunes that you are aware of adjust the rad fan function?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:18 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63
I run 96-100c normally, always in manual mode. When hot out, 30c it gets up about 105c. Never seen 120c unless racing at the road course...

This is 20-25c ambient. Weistec has the fan programmed to run the all the time but I'd assume that wouldn't help much unless slow or idling lots.crusing the airflow should be the same.
anybody with a Weistec tune here to confirm?

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 08-02-2017, 12:21 PM

2008 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hachiroku
anybody with a Weistec tune here to confirm?
Thanks.

Incidentally, I just got off the phone with Weistec and they said their tunes do not affect the rad fan function.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
the fan coming on/staying on May not be tune related at all....if the ecu doesnt get a signal it likes from the coolant temp sensor(below the power steering filler under the front cover) it will cause the fan to run like that and may NOT even trigger a CEL.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:05 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
I don't think the aircon has anything to do with the tune.
I believe that the temp that the fan comes on and off can be changed in the tune.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I've had this come up (fan staying on) when doing a cam teach-in process with the Xentry.
There was something in cautionary statements about the fan possibly staying on.
I think I've cycled on-off the key with the Xentry on and got the fan to go back to normal.

Having the fan always on is bad news in my opinion, nothing that should be ignored.
That motor is not designed to be on all the time, so it will fail. It will fail by overheating. You don't want electric motors overheating and you don't want the bearing of that motor to fail at high speed.
Find someone that has Xentry and have them work on the issue.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
I don't think the aircon has anything to do with the tune.
I believe that the temp that the fan comes on and off can be changed in the tune.
​​​
can you explain what you mean about the aircon not having anything to do with the tune....

Originally Posted by Vladds
I've had this come up (fan staying on) when doing a cam teach-in process with the Xentry.
There was something in cautionary statements about the fan possibly staying on.
I think I've cycled on-off the key with the Xentry on and got the fan to go back to normal.

Having the fan always on is bad news in my opinion, nothing that should be ignored.
That motor is not designed to be on all the time, so it will fail. It will fail by overheating. You don't want electric motors overheating and you don't want the bearing of that motor to fail at high speed.
Find someone that has Xentry and have them work on the issue.
....while I agree that sure you could have some shortening of motor life by having it run constantly I have to disagree with the rest ...the fan IS actually designed to run constantly. If you live in a hot climate and leave the AC on all the time then the fan will run ALL THE TIME, and this is designed and built into the engine cooling system by the manufacturer. The fans ours run are brushless and don't really suffer to much from heat exposure other than thermal expansion issues. The real reason our fans don't need to run all the time is that our cooling system is VERY efficient and good at what it does...if running all the time the cooling system fan may actually keep the engine temp BELOW where it wants to be and send the ecu into wtf mode

Last edited by jptaylor; 08-03-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Originally Posted by jptaylor
can you explain what you mean about the aircon not having anything to do with the tune....

....while I agree that sure you could have some shortening of motor life by having it run constantly I have to disagree with the rest ...the fan IS actually designed to run constantly. If you live in a hot climate and leave the AC on all the time then the fan will run ALL THE TIME, and this is designed and built into the engine cooling system by the manufacturer. The fans ours run are brushless and don't really suffer to much from heat exposure other than thermal expansion issues. The real reason our fans don't need to run all the time is that our cooling system is VERY efficient and good at what it does...if running all the time the cooling system fan may actually keep the engine temp BELOW where it wants to be and send the ecu into wtf mode
My engine cooling system is not so good... My rad fan is on A LOT. Any things I should check for? Already changed oil and filters. My friend told me I should check the oil cooler and see if it's dirty. Anyone have experience with this?