C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ANYONE ELSE DISAPPOINTED WITH OE TUNE C63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
It downloads the original file, you send that to the tuner, who saves that file and then modifies it and sends back the original file along with the tuned file.

The handheld can store multiple tunes, not limited to just one. You decide which file you upload to your car.
That is exactly what I remember. The problem I'm having is the following statement OE made: "MyGenius does not read the file that is on your car and cannot tell if the car was tuned prior or not. This is no secret."

If you download the original tune using MyGenius and send this to OE, how can their statement above make any sense?
Old 08-26-2016, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
It doesn't make sense.

They get a file and make adjustments. If the adjustments are already there, then you'd imagine there is a tune. If the specs are similar to factory, then you'd imagine there is no tune.

Pretty straight forward.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by glennhl
That is exactly what I remember. The problem I'm having is the following statement OE made: "MyGenius does not read the file that is on your car and cannot tell if the car was tuned prior or not. This is no secret."

If you download the original tune using MyGenius and send this to OE, how can their statement above make any sense?
Exactly. This is why I poked holes in the logic above.

Something isn't adding up.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:49 PM

2011 C63
I have to admit, if I didn't already have an OE tune, this thread would have sent me to Eurocharge. However, I'm happy with my tune and Jeremy treated me great. Not sure why they are having issues now.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Guys, I believe the original file that is sent to OE Tune is only the vehicle's info. I remember it was a 6 KB file while the tune was something > 1 MB (and both were different file extensions). So I think all of our tunes are pretty much the same when they come stock (or somehow similar). After the tune they give to you and based on the dyno data, they make adjustments to your tune file and that tune file becomes yours is my guess and tailored to your car (although can be used on another car with same mods .. just the more statistical data you have, the better they can pre-tune it before put on the dyno I assume). This is my assumption and my engineering intuition tells me this lol.

Now, I have OE Tune on my car and so far I was happy with the treatment and and reponses I got to my questions (I think that's a 2 way street).

I hope this gets worked out for you OP, but have some patience and work it out. Send out the logs (there is a log file you get after you flash the ECU, download it and send it as well).

And btw, I don't think its a bad idea if you invest $100 on the dyno time. Its for you to see how much your car is putting and to fine tune your current tune to the best possible outcome! If you're located in nearby Portland, OR, let me know and we can rent a dyno together if you want (I would like to get some numbers after I make a couple changes and get my tune fined).
Old 08-26-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
It doesn't make sense.

They get a file and make adjustments. If the adjustments are already there, then you'd imagine there is a tune. If the specs are similar to factory, then you'd imagine there is no tune.

Pretty straight forward.
When you read your original ECU, it only looks up a software "version"
This is what is sent to the tuner. The tuners have databases of all / most of the stock software versions.
They then choose the one matching your car, and use this as the stock file. They then tune the file, and load that on the hand held as well.
So the stock file you get on the Mygenius is not the original file from your ECU, but an identical file which the tuner had.
My understanding is that you can only upload from the ECU on a bench. This means the ECU needs to be taken out the car.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Savage-wp
When you read your original ECU, it only looks up a software "version"
This is what is sent to the tuner. The tuners have databases of all / most of the stock software versions.
They then choose the one matching your car, and use this as the stock file. They then tune the file, and load that on the hand held as well.
So the stock file you get on the Mygenius is not the original file from your ECU, but an identical file which the tuner had.
My understanding is that you can only upload from the ECU on a bench. This means the ECU needs to be taken out the car.
The myGenius tool keep a stock file when you write the tuned file I think so when you revert back, you're actually reverting to the original file and not a file the tuner has.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Cls63 & C32
our ecu is Bosch ME9.7, this type of ecu can only be written by obd, to read it you need to take out the ecu from the car and do it on bench, the ecu must be open to be read, so when you read it with my genius it only read HW,SW hardware and software numbers version, so no way a tuner can know if your ecu is tuned or not with the my genius, the only way is to send him the ecu and tell him open it read the flash and check please.
The following users liked this post:
w204nyc (08-26-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:57 PM
SPONSOR

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
Originally Posted by glennhl

We have a data base full of MB original files. That's how. So when we see your read version and the identifiers that describe your version, we can make the tuned files from that base original file. Reading ROM via OBD2 on ME9.7 is not possible.

Last edited by SALES@OETUNING; 08-26-2016 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
glennhl (08-26-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 01:08 AM

2011 C63
OE, thanks for that explanation, makes perfect sense. Hope the Viper gets his problem solved, I'm very happy with my OE tune.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:18 AM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Viper, I don't think OE asking you to run on a dyno is asking a lot.
Sometimes certain cars react differently to the tune files and they need information to rectify this.
The dyno is not to prove that the car is loosing power. It can show the tuner if perhaps there is an obvious dip at certain rpm's. They can then use the logged data to see why.
When we were tuning mine on the dyno, the tuner could see from the dyno graphs where he thought we were having timing pulled due to too much timing on our crappy fuel etc.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Only time I had a softer more subdued feel in my car with a tune was when dealer reset the ecu and adaptations due to service work. I removed my tune file, reflashed to stock drove 100 miles, then reflashed it again via my genius. Car responded well almost instantly. Easy gremlin to kill.

And I be been running the tune for over 3yrs without issue. That is all.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:42 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
for those of you who are asking about returning to "stock" flash...

there is a DATABASE of OEM Factory ECU mappings that tuners generally have at their disposal. any tuner who provides a tune, and can revert back to stock will pull from that database. It is what has been documented as the OEM factory tune for that engine and that computer combination.

Most tuners aren't able to pull what is currently on your computer and make that a backup file. If they are able to do it, it will require them to open your ECU and proceed to hook up electrical leads to the chips, etc etc to a unit that reads your ECU. this procedure takes a very long time and is generally only reserved for ECU's of which never have been tuned before. This piece of hardware sometimes can also be used to hard write tuned files to ECU's that do not support flashing through OBD2 port. That piece of hardware costs thousands of dollars itself. This file dump would be required to build a new configuration file as well as mapping for future tunes to be based off of. If I were a tuner that had this hardware, I would probably charge something in the range of 2k just to pull the file off your factory ECU.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 08-29-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CL550
How it go?

How it go?