C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Dealers version of replacing my air filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 464 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Dealers version of replacing my air filters

So car I just got CPO, just had it's 40k mile service as per the CPO requirement, I have the print out of all service for the car. 40k they changed oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, all the filters and some other stuff.

Car does have brand new air filters in it, no dirt at all on them, but apparently there is no requirement to maybe vacuum the airbox or anything!

I basically drove it home, so unless I drove through sometime of sand/dirt storm, think it was there when they did the filters!
Attached Thumbnails Dealers version of replacing my air filters-img_4438.jpg   Dealers version of replacing my air filters-img_4439.jpg  
Old 09-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
So car I just got CPO, just had it's 40k mile service as per the CPO requirement, I have the print out of all service for the car. 40k they changed oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, all the filters and some other stuff.

Car does have brand new air filters in it, no dirt at all on them, but apparently there is no requirement to maybe vacuum the airbox or anything!

I basically drove it home, so unless I drove through sometime of sand/dirt storm, think it was there when they did the filters!
Looking at the photos I would consider this shoddy maintenance. Most likely nothing in the manual requiring removal of such debris but doing so is simply an indication of a good technician. Certainly not what I would expect from an M-B service shop.

I would show those photos to the service manager.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I did send the pics to my SA, they of course said not up to standards etc etc, we will get to the bottom of it and find out who did etc - don't really care what they find out, just want them to know they can't get away with it, unfortunately no matter the luxury brand I have had, lexus, bmw, audi and mercedes, things always come back from service with clips missing, plastics broken, just seems to be they all rush, break stuff that probably most people won't notice and just let it go instead of getting in trouble for it and the dealer having to spend the money to fix.

It was in for a speaker repair on the parcel shelf earlier this week and just noticed the 2 retainer clips that hold the carpet in the trunk right behind the seats are missing, not sure if it was apart for service (doubt it was) or if it has been missing since I bought the car 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
You realize these shops pay their techs hourly per job. Job pays 3hrs, if tech does it in 2hrs, he makes 3hrs pay in 2hrs. Some of these techs are making 12-14hrs in an 8hr shift.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
My guess would be they opened it up only enough to remove the old filter and slide the new one in from the fender side. All the gunk is by the middle was pushed there when they slid the new filter in (unless you did that yourself to show how much there is).
Old 09-03-2016, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Merc63
You realize these shops pay their techs hourly per job. Job pays 3hrs, if tech does it in 2hrs, he makes 3hrs pay in 2hrs. Some of these techs are making 12-14hrs in an 8hr shift.
exactly it is how mechanics are incentivized, book to actual, bonuses are based on percentage of hours billed to hours worked, speed is how they are measured first then quality and redoing repairs!