Door Speaker Issue - Blown?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Door Speaker Issue - Blown?

All,
I started the C63 this morning and all of a sudden the door speaker from the front passenger foot-well sounds very distorted with any bass notes. I can keep the volume low enough that it is not noticeable, but if I turn the volume up just a little more (I wish we had a numerical reference for this in our stereos), the speaker sounds distorted. There is almost no chance that I blew the speaker as I never listen to loud music. I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen? All of the other speakers are fine.

Could it be caused by opening and closing the door ( I have the coupe)?
Could it be due to low voltage?

Has anyone replaced a single speaker due to this issue and was able to resolve it? I searched on here and did not find much info. All help and insight would be appreciated (just so long as you aren't suggesting to listen to the tailpipes, I fully understand that concept).

Thanks,
J
Old 09-06-2016, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I had one replaced last week - it was one of the rear parcel shelf speakers, but would distort and rattle with any moderate bass, was ok at low volumes and if you kept the bass turned down, dealer diagnosed as blown speaker and replaced under warranty.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Upon further review, it appears that the speaker costs $157.00 from Getmercedesparts.com. The issue isn't the cost there, but instead is the replacement procedure. It seems that I would have to take the door panel off and then drill out the rivets on the old speaker and then rivet the new ones into place? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:21 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
^ Sounds about right. Most OEM Speakers are riveted in.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
I would imagine if you didn't want to rivet it back in you could just bolt back in. Drilling out the rivet is easy enough. And I'm pretty sure I've seen on here a guide on removing the door panels, it can't be much harder than any other car.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Originally Posted by Tlnt60
I would imagine if you didn't want to rivet it back in you could just bolt back in. Drilling out the rivet is easy enough. And I'm pretty sure I've seen on here a guide on removing the door panels, it can't be much harder than any other car.
Would likely have to modify the speaker a little bit by drilling into it. But, every speaking "housing" is different, so maybe you could get away with some washers and nuts.

However, with a cheap little rivet gun, why bother going through all that, just pop the rivet in, clamp, and done!