C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Importing a 507 from Canada to US

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Importing a 507 from Canada to US

Has anyone had any experience importing a C63 from Canada to the US? I am getting tired of looking for the right 507 when there are a handful available across the Northern border at competitive exchange rates. There are a couple CPOs at a MB dealer and a few at independent dealers.

I spoke with the independent dealer and he thinks that the speedo can just be electronically modified to read MPH instead of KMH, and that this should satisfy customs. Does anyone know if this is true? I'd prefer to do that instead of swapping out the entire cluster, which I image will cost a lot.

Anything else to think about besides shipping costs and import taxes? I believe the MB Warranty will carry over to the US, but would need to ensure that is the case. Anyone know?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know the answer to this for Mercedes, but on my other car the VIN number contains the country of origin, meaning where it was originally sold.

Also, when I bought my 507 I had a sign a document saying that I would not sell it internationally...

Ed
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Coupe
I had the same deal when I bought my last Mercedes new, I also had to sign a doc saying that it wouldn't be sold outside of the US. I'm assuming it's for this exact reason....
Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 911 s | 2012 c63 coupe | 2013 Bmw 328xdrive
I can't remember if it's 8 or 10 months that you're not allowed to sell the car internationally. All higher end brands have a clause that states this. But after the set period you're allowed to do as you wish. Sorry OP I don't have an answer for you concerning your question since I only ship cars outside North America.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 679 Likes on 464 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I imported a car like 20 years ago, big expense was getting the speedo setup for MPH, usually canadian cars have both, other than that, it has to meet US emissions requirements (which canadian cars should) and there were some warning labels missing that where a DOT requirement, but they didn't make me do the labels. Basically it was fill out some paperwork at the DOT office and then have the car inspected, mine was easy and they signed off on it, then I just registered it with the paperwork they provided.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
This is easy to do and any importer in Canada should be able to help you out. You can have the cluster read MPH which is fine for USA and the dealer doesn't care as long as the car is titled and registered in the USA the warranty is valid.

You can even get financing for a car like this if you so desire and its usually no problem depending on your relationship with your CU.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 C63 1998 ML430
It could be possible to scn code the cluster to MPH but will need MBUSA assistance on that. If cannot be done then the cluster would be needed. My understanding is you need to replace cluster....it should meet with USA emissions and your cluster should be your only concern....there will be no warranty . It will be considered grey market vehicle to Benz. USA vehicle would be less of a hassle, recommend to search more in the states
Old 09-07-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tlnt60
I had the same deal when I bought my last Mercedes new, I also had to sign a doc saying that it wouldn't be sold outside of the US. I'm assuming it's for this exact reason....
Those clauses are usually for people that buy the car here and export them overseas right away. It's more profitable to buy cars here and ship it overseas (usually sells for 200-300% of purchase price here), as it is also cheaper to buy an imported car then buy one from a dealership in that country.

As for importing a 507 here, you should be able to do it fine. It'll just take some leg work. There are plenty of people that purchase cars from Canada and bring them down stateside since you could save a significant amount of money. I remember reading an article that was fairly detailed in a person's experience in bringing one down. Give it a google.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:23 AM

If you're saving a good amount of money you should look into hiring a customs clearance agent that will do all the paperwork for you. You'd have to have a shipping company in Canada export it for you, I can be of some assistance depending on where the 507 is located.

Read this: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impo.../importing-car
Old 09-07-2016, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 Edition 507 Sedan
No direct experience but the purchaser of my previous car (Canadian Audi S4) did it quite easily. He checked the car for a couple of stickers (not sure which ones though) and I obtained a recall clearance letter for him from Audi North America which was a simple phone request and couple days wait. He insured the car here (Vancouver) with temporary insurance and was on his way home (Seattle).

Originally Posted by c63AMGee
Has anyone had any experience importing a C63 from Canada to the US? I am getting tired of looking for the right 507 when there are a handful available across the Northern border at competitive exchange rates. There are a couple CPOs at a MB dealer and a few at independent dealers.

I spoke with the independent dealer and he thinks that the speedo can just be electronically modified to read MPH instead of KMH, and that this should satisfy customs. Does anyone know if this is true? I'd prefer to do that instead of swapping out the entire cluster, which I image will cost a lot.

Anything else to think about besides shipping costs and import taxes? I believe the MB Warranty will carry over to the US, but would need to ensure that is the case. Anyone know?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:04 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Originally Posted by AwdthisC63
It could be possible to scn code the cluster to MPH but will need MBUSA assistance on that. If cannot be done then the cluster would be needed. My understanding is you need to replace cluster....it should meet with USA emissions and your cluster should be your only concern....there will be no warranty . It will be considered grey market vehicle to Benz. USA vehicle would be less of a hassle, recommend to search more in the states
Incorrect

Warranty will be valid as long as the car is properly registered in the USA. Unfortunately you cannot get a warranty extension for a Canadian car in the USA and MB extended warranty from Canada are not valid in the USA.
The following users liked this post:
c63AMGee (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 03:21 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by simandang
Incorrect

Warranty will be valid as long as the car is properly registered in the USA. Unfortunately you cannot get a warranty extension for a Canadian car in the USA and MB extended warranty from Canada are not valid in the USA.
Thank you for correcting the misinformation! Lots of conflicting information out there. Waiting to talk with a dealer in Montreal. Concerned that the 13% Canadian tax, 2.5% import tax, 7.5% GA tax, and Fed Gas Guzzler tax may sour any deal to be had.

Last edited by c63AMGee; 09-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:03 PM
cb6

Black 11 C63 - Stock for now
Thank you for correcting the misinformation! Lots of conflicting information out there. Waiting to talk with a dealer in Montreal. Concerned that the 13% Canadian tax, 2.5% import tax, 7.5% GA tax, and Fed Gas Guzzler tax may sour any deal to be had.
Might be some valuable info for you here, Montreal is in the Province of Quebec:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoye...ers/achat.aspx

Here are Canadian taxes by Province:

http://www.thehstblog.com/2015/12/ar...anuary-1-2016/

Province of Alberta has lowest tax at a total of only 5%. You might get lucky and find one there, its an oil rich province. Calgary and Edmonton are the two large cities for your search.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:09 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Thanks! Much appreciated. I just got off the phone with a MB dealer in Montreal and he said that I would not have to pay Canadian tax on an export. He also confirmed that the factory warranty would transfer, but no CPO warranties and that I couldn't add a CPO warranty in the USA. He said the import tax will be 3% (not 2.5% because it is a german car?), $500 for a MB recall letter for customs, a $600 broker fee (?), shipping charges (~1,000), and then US State tax and Fed Gas Guzzler tax. 7.5% tax here in GA. No idea what the gas guzzler tax is on this car. Doing the math, although the sales price is very competitive for a nearly fully optioned 507 (59k USD), all of the taxes and surcharges push the out the door price to 66k+, which is essentially the realistic ceiling what used 507s are going for on the market here (if and when they pop up).

Originally Posted by cb6
Might be some valuable info for you here, Montreal is in the Province of Quebec:

http://www.revenuquebec.ca/en/citoye...ers/achat.aspx

Here are Canadian taxes by Province:

http://www.thehstblog.com/2015/12/ar...anuary-1-2016/

Province of Alberta has lowest tax at a total of only 5%. You might get lucky and find one there, its an oil rich province. Calgary and Edmonton are the two large cities for your search.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:28 PM
cb6

Thanks! Much appreciated. I just got off the phone with a MB dealer in Montreal and he said that I would not have to pay Canadian tax on an export. He also confirmed that the factory warranty would transfer, but no CPO warranties and that I couldn't add a CPO warranty in the USA. He said the import tax will be 3% (not 2.5% because it is a german car?), $500 for a MB recall letter for customs, a $600 broker fee (?), shipping charges (~1,000), and then US State tax and Fed Gas Guzzler tax. 7.5% tax here in GA. No idea what the gas guzzler tax is on this car. Doing the math, although the sales price is very competitive for a nearly fully optioned 507 (59k USD), all of the taxes and surcharges push the out the door price to 66k+, which is essentially the realistic ceiling what used 507s are going for on the market here (if and when they pop up).
Sounds like a lot of extra work...for no gain unless you get strike a deal.

An fyi, Quebec cars are known for being less expensive in Canada. A lot of that has to do with their climate being extremely cold, so much so that you have to purchase winter tires for your car if winter driven. Also, for some reason there is a stigma that they are extra hard on their cars, true? Those two reasons tend to keep the price lower than any other province.
The following users liked this post:
c63AMGee (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 05:06 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Thanks, I appreciate the insight. There is a real clean 507 in Vancouver. They told me the weather is mostly rainy there without low temps, so their cars should be in better shape compared to other provinces. Not sure how much of that is true.

Originally Posted by cb6
Sounds like a lot of extra work...for no gain unless you get strike a deal.

An fyi, Quebec cars are known for being less expensive in Canada. A lot of that has to do with their climate being extremely cold, so much so that you have to purchase winter tires for your car if winter driven. Also, for some reason there is a stigma that they are extra hard on their cars, true? Those two reasons tend to keep the price lower than any other province.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:45 PM
cb6

Thanks, I appreciate the insight. There is a real clean 507 in Vancouver. They told me the weather is mostly rainy there without low temps, so their cars should be in better shape compared to other provinces. Not sure how much of that is true.
Yep that's true. It hardly ever snows in Vancouver either.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:24 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
My car was from Canada but brought here at the us auction by exotic supercar dealer. They knows how much money can be made bringing cars from canada to usa here and reselling so they have one office in USA and one in Canada. I saw it and we struck up a deal through email and I drove down to PA to drive it back up.

Canadian C63 come with more options than most American C63 and are pretty uniquely/well optioned cars. I am extremely glad I pulled the trigger.

Many C63 recently in the USA that are for sale are Canadian cars. You can usually tell by the cluster and how the weather reads celsius even if cluster is changed to mph one from kmh. Most of these cars are also well optioned.

FYI I dont think you have to pay gas guzzler tax on a used car.

Last edited by simandang; 09-08-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 PM

You get a tax exemption if you export anything out of Canada btw