C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Tweety bird in my suspension

Old 10-26-2016, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Tweety bird in my suspension

Back at it again weird car noises. Don't mod your car kids!

Can anyone guess this noise cause I sure as hell can't?

Coming from the front passenger side and can be heard outside so I know it isn't an interior noise.

Also, was there prior to coilover installation.. Thoughts?

Noise at :28 and :35

http://vid77.photobucket.com/albums/...psxcywhon2.mp4

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
The first time you hit a bit of a bump, right? But what about the second time? Hard to tell cos its dark. I guess Im asking if it happens only on bumps or just semi-randomly. If on bumps, how big a bump does it take? And does it happen just with something sudden or would it happen on one of those long flat wide speed bumps?
If its the sudden one, that could be bunch of things cos it could just be something lose that moves with the impact. I had a side marker light that squeaked believe it or not. Just flexed that little bit, and gave a little yip. I found out by taking it right out.
If it happens with the long flat wide speed bumps at low speed, thats suspension/steering type stuff.

Last edited by 604 C63; 10-27-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Just last week I was drawing up an action plan with my tech to address some chronic squeaking from the rear suspension as well as a front end clunking noise. One of the things I looked at while doing a little research about possible causes was this:

https://mbworld.org/how-tos/a/merced...ueaking-389640
Old 10-27-2016, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
If it is the clunk I am hearing randomly I suspect something is loose or broken underneath including trans mounts, bushings etc.
Then there is the Detroit iron fix. Turn up the audio!
Old 10-27-2016, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by 604 C63
The first time you hit a bit of a bump, right? But what about the second time? Hard to tell cos its dark. I guess Im asking if it happens only on bumps or just semi-randomly. If on bumps, how big a bump does it take? And does it happen just with something sudden or would it happen on one of those long flat wide speed bumps?
If its the sudden one, that could be bunch of things cos it could just be something lose that moves with the impact. I had a side marker light that squeaked believe it or not. Just flexed that little bit, and gave a little yip. I found out by taking it right out.
If it happens with the long flat wide speed bumps at low speed, thats suspension/steering type stuff.
Yup, it's always little dips or crevices. It's not semi-random in that it won't chirp if I'm driving on smooth roads.

I had a late night idea come to mind last night... I think my upper spring perch is not threaded onto the shock body and therefor the only thing holding it in place is the lower spring perch right below and the spring itself on the top.

I'm thinking that if this is the case, the upper spring perch is moving around when going over bumps. Long story short -- I'll update back after work. I'm praying to god this is the case as it's a 15 minute fix.

Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
If it is the clunk I am hearing randomly I suspect something is loose or broken underneath including trans mounts, bushings etc.
Then there is the Detroit iron fix. Turn up the audio!
No it's not the clunk -- that's probably me hitting my phone on the dash or something as I wasn't really trying to capture video nor paying attention to where my phone was. It's that chirping tweeting sound.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
I hear the tweet. Bolts? Bushings? TBH I would've just blamed your springs but since it was there before coils... no idea.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Not the spring perch. I have no idea. Darn.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Not the spring perch. I have no idea. Darn.
Could be a ton of things then, cos it could be just something not totally tight under your hood. Ill take a look in there tomorrow for ideas. I found that squeaky bloody mark light, we can find this.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Could be a ton of things then, cos it could be just something not totally tight under your hood. Ill take a look in there tomorrow for ideas. I found that squeaky bloody mark light, we can find this.
Thanks man. The thing is, I know it has to be something coilover or suspension related.

Before installing coilovers, the noise would happen once a week, now it happens every 30 seconds... Therefore, something I did, suspension-wise must have exacerbated the problem big time.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
One thing to try is to undo one of your sway bar end links and remove it or tie it out of the way. See if that will eliminate your tweety. If so it is in the end link joints or sway bar mounts. I had a noise when turning and this eliminated it. Another source might be in the bearing in the top mount. I listened to your video but could not hear any tweet. I wonder how many squeaks my car has that I just don't hear...lol
Old 10-28-2016, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Mort
One thing to try is to undo one of your sway bar end links and remove it or tie it out of the way. See if that will eliminate your tweety. If so it is in the end link joints or sway bar mounts. I had a noise when turning and this eliminated it. Another source might be in the bearing in the top mount. I listened to your video but could not hear any tweet. I wonder how many squeaks my car has that I just don't hear...lol
Removed the endlink on that side and it did nothing unfortunately.

I'm installing new Swift springs today so I'll take a look at the bearing although it's a brand new radial bearing since they came built from Fortune Auto.

Really? Turn the volume up at :28 and :35!
Old 10-28-2016, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I'm guessing arm bushings could be some of it. Mine squeaks like a b¡tch as well.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
I'm guessing arm bushings could be some of it. Mine squeaks like a b¡tch as well.
Does it sound like what you hear in the video though? Like bird chirping?
Old 10-28-2016, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Not really.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Sorry, I have been meaning to post here for a couple days about this.
Looked under my hood and thought about this and it comes down to I don't really think I/We can help you just cos a) we can't really get a good ear on this (is it metal on metal, is it that plastic kinda squeak like my marker, or more rubbery) and b) because of A there is just so damn many things it can be and c) you have chased down the most likely targets.

Sorry, I know how frustrating this is. Been there done that. I have stood by the side of the road trying to hear as my buddy drives my car past, and rode with my head hanging out the window like a dog. This kind of thing makes me 16 kinds of crazy.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63 E63
Removed the endlink on that side and it did nothing unfortunately.

I'm installing new Swift springs today so I'll take a look at the bearing although it's a brand new radial bearing since they came built from Fortune Auto.

Really? Turn the volume up at :28 and :35!
You need to remove the endlink on both sides of the swaybar. The squeak could be emitting from the swaybar bushings, which still gets twisted if one side is still connected.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Sorry, I have been meaning to post here for a couple days about this.
Looked under my hood and thought about this and it comes down to I don't really think I/We can help you just cos a) we can't really get a good ear on this (is it metal on metal, is it that plastic kinda squeak like my marker, or more rubbery) and b) because of A there is just so damn many things it can be and c) you have chased down the most likely targets.

Sorry, I know how frustrating this is. Been there done that. I have stood by the side of the road trying to hear as my buddy drives my car past, and rode with my head hanging out the window like a dog. This kind of thing makes me 16 kinds of crazy.
No worries man. It's driving me crazy.

Originally Posted by ricecooker713
You need to remove the endlink on both sides of the swaybar. The squeak could be emitting from the swaybar bushings, which still gets twisted if one side is still connected.
Did that too and nothing changed.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 C63s Sedan
Have you torqued the top hat bolt?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Schulminator
Have you torqued the top hat bolt?
Not only that, but dissasembled the coilover on Friday, greased and inspected the mounts, bearings, etc (which were butter smooth) and reasembled it with an impact.
The following users liked this post:
Schulminator (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:34 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
Not only that, but dissasembled the coilover on Friday, greased and inspected the mounts, bearings, etc (which were butter smooth) and reasembled it with an impact.
really strange. It's clearly loud, and I can see how that would get annoying. Have you chased down all the bushings?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
really strange. It's clearly loud, and I can see how that would get annoying. Have you chased down all the bushings?
Really strange indeed. I sprayed WD40 on the control arm bushings and just about every other rubber part down there and the noise did go away for about a mile or mile and a half, so it makes me think that while I installed coilovers, I must have aggravated some bushing although I don't see how this could be the case.

I've got an appointment tomorrow at a local Benz shop, so we'll see what a trained eye can come up with.

More likely than not though, I'm thinking I'll have to throw parts at it until it stops.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:53 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
Really strange indeed. I sprayed WD40 on the control arm bushings and just about every other rubber part down there and the noise did go away for about a mile or mile and a half, so it makes me think that while I installed coilovers, I must have aggravated some bushing although I don't see how this could be the case.

I've got an appointment tomorrow at a local Benz shop, so we'll see what a trained eye can come up with.

More likely than not though, I'm thinking I'll have to throw parts at it until it stops.
It's gonna drive you nuts till you replace all the bushings with graphite impregnated polyurethane bushings lol

Keep us update with what BENZ has to say! It'll probably be easier to pinpoint with the car on a lift and a couple guys pulling and tugging on parts.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
It's gonna drive you nuts till you replace all the bushings with graphite impregnated polyurethane bushings lol

Keep us update with what BENZ has to say! It'll probably be easier to pinpoint with the car on a lift and a couple guys pulling and tugging on parts.
Does someone make poly bushings for our upper and lower control mounts?

Even if they did, we'd still have to make sure the ball joints are good as those aren't replaceable on the arms.

Ugh.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:34 PM

C63 AMG - LSD

Even if they did, we'd still have to make sure the ball joints are good as those aren't replaceable on the arms.

Ugh.
trying to google for ya but not finding much. Maybe just go big money and get some aftermarket control arms? But that would suck if they didnt fix the issue....

EDIT: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...arm-components

best I could find for now

Last edited by SuperFastYo; 10-31-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG

Ugh.
Easy enough to check the ball joints. I had a high pitched squeak when dry turning the wheel because of the failed front lower joint.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tweety bird in my suspension