C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2013 Facelift Coolant Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts
C63 AMG Saloon
2013 Facelift Coolant Problem

Has anyone had coolant issues with 2012+ cars and what was the problem as I have heard of no headbolt issues with the facelift models?

About 4-5 weeks ago the coolant message came on the dash so I checked the level and there was about 1cm of the clear part showing so it was slightly low. I called MB break down out as its free with the car, he did a pressure test with engine on/off and said it was fine and topped it up. He said the most likely cause was that at my service 8 weeks prior they didnt let the car cool down to check the level. He told me to keep checking the level for 1 month and if it didnt change or the message didnt come up it should be fine. The next day there was a very small damp patch in the garage but I just put it down to some of the distilled water ran down the engine that he topped it up with.

The car has been fine since with the coolant level and no leaks in the garage. The car is currently at Mercedes for upper control arms but they rung me today to tell me they have found a leak from the water pump and already got extended warrenty to authorise the repair. They rung me two hours later to say they have had another look and said its not the water pump but the leak was dripping down to the water pump making it look like that was the problem. So now because it's extended warrenty I have had to authorise for 2 hours work at $130 a hour to find the leak! If they dont find it they will call and ask for more hours!

Here are my issues

- The car seems fine but the low coolant has only happend since having the service! (Not dropped since topping up once)
- If they find the fault and its not a major part eg hose that means I have paid for X amout of hours plus a $20 hose!

If they find the fault and its covered by extended warrenty then they cover all the X amount of hours plus the repair. The problem I am having is they couldnt find another previous problem with the car which cost me two sets of tyres because they said it was the tyres (detailed in another thread) but I paid for an independant and they found the problem straight away, Also seems abit funny the coolant issue has arose not long since the service so why should I pay for anything (if I end up having to!)

The independant I used before told me to bring the car to him but its a 200+mile round trip and with a coolant issue I dont know if thats a good idea. I was thinking let Merc have it for the two hours and if for some strange reason they cant find it I will have to pay for them two hours then I could use my breakdown cover to take it to the independant.

Last edited by Phil_T; 11-11-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Phil_T
Has anyone had coolant issues with 2012+ cars and what was the problem as I have heard of no headbolt issues with the facelift models?

About 4-5 weeks ago the coolant message came on the dash so I checked the level and there was about 1cm of the clear part showing so it was slightly low. I called MB break down out as its free with the car, he did a pressure test with engine on/off and said it was fine and topped it up. He said the most likely cause was that at my service 8 weeks prior they didnt let the car cool down to check the level. He told me to keep checking the level for 1 month and if it didnt change or the message didnt come up it should be fine. The next day there was a very small damp patch in the garage but I just put it down to some of the distilled water ran down the engine that he topped it up with.

The car has been fine since with the coolant level and no leaks in the garage. The car is currently at Mercedes for upper control arms but they rung me today to tell me they have found a leak from the water pump and already got extended warrenty to authorise the repair. They rung me two hours later to say they have had another look and said its not the water pump but the leak was dripping down to the water pump making it look like that was the problem. So now because it's extended warrenty I have had to authorise for 2 hours work at $130 a hour to find the leak! If they dont find it they will call and ask for more hours!

Here are my issues

- The car seems fine but the low coolant has only happend since having the service! (Not dropped since topping up once)
- If they find the fault and its not a major part eg hose that means I have paid for X amout of hours plus a $20 hose!

If they find the fault and its covered by extended warrenty then they cover all the X amount of hours plus the repair. The problem I am having is they couldnt find another previous problem with the car which cost me two sets of tyres because they said it was the tyres (detailed in another thread) but I paid for an independant and they found the problem straight away, Also seems abit funny the coolant issue has arose not long since the service so why should I pay for anything (if I end up having to!)

The independant I used before told me to bring the car to him but its a 200+mile round trip and with a coolant issue I dont know if thats a good idea. I was thinking let Merc have it for the two hours and if for some strange reason they cant find it I will have to pay for them two hours then I could use my breakdown cover to take it to the independant.
Sounds to me somebody rushed the service if there is no leak either visually or when pressure tested. They should know better. Why should you pay for them to guess? It is warranty work so they pay not you unless of course you have a deductible.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:09 PM

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts
C63 AMG Saloon
They found it to be the thermostate and replaced it so hopefully its all fixed now.