C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Possible help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soon to be C63 owner
Possible help?

Hey everyone, i'm new to the forums here. I've been lurking for a while now, getting tons of useful information from all of you. I'm in the market for a C63, and was curious if anyone could pull up any information on this car for me. Also, is there any way for me to check if a car has been affected by the notorious head bolt issue that i've read about. And lastly, any advice for snow tires of if all seasons would be appropriate for this vehicle. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Thanks. I look forward to meeting all you guys.

VIN: WDDGF7HB3BF550326
Old 11-14-2016, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by onlyvince
Hey everyone, i'm new to the forums here. I've been lurking for a while now, getting tons of useful information from all of you. I'm in the market for a C63, and was curious if anyone could pull up any information on this car for me. Also, is there any way for me to check if a car has been affected by the notorious head bolt issue that i've read about. And lastly, any advice for snow tires of if all seasons would be appropriate for this vehicle. I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Thanks. I look forward to meeting all you guys.

VIN: WDDGF7HB3BF550326
I've already answered your request on a different thread. The subject vehicle is not in the affected group.

I suggest you spend more time reading through the various threads on the forum. Start here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-stickies.html
Old 11-14-2016, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
This car isn't even good with all seasons in the summer - pretty sure you will die with all seasons in a chicago winter!
Old 11-14-2016, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
This car isn't even good with all seasons in the summer - pretty sure you will die with all seasons in a chicago winter!
Ditto.
Even here on south Vancouver Island where snow is not a usual thing to deal with we get a ton of rain at this time of year and temps while not at Chicago winter temps do get below the 7C which is the cut line for AS tires IMHO.
Get some proper winter tires on the beast. They don't refer to AS tire as three season tires for no reason.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
Ditto.
Even here on south Vancouver Island where snow is not a usual thing to deal with we get a ton of rain at this time of year and temps while not at Chicago winter temps do get below the 7C which is the cut line for AS tires IMHO.
Get some proper winter tires on the beast. They don't refer to AS tire as three season tires for no reason.
^ This.

And, the fact that someone put AS tires on a ~500 hp RWD car speaks volumes about how able and/or willing they were to spend the required amount of money on it and thus how it was maintained. Unless they have one hell of a compelling story about why they ended up putting AS tires on it and have full service records for the car since day one, I wouldn't look at it again. There are many nice C63 specimens on the used market that have been properly maintained.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Diabolis
the fact that someone put AS tires on a ~500 hp RWD car speaks volumes about how able and/or willing they were to spend the required amount of money on it and thus how it was maintained. Unless they have one hell of a compelling story about why they ended up putting AS tires on it and have full service records for the car since day one, I wouldn't look at it again.
Because its Chicago, I am going to agree with you, but thats not true everywhere. I have run Conti DWS late fall thru early spring with pretty good success, cos I live in the PacNorWest and haven't seen snow or even close to freezing in several years.
I did switch to summer tires the balance of the year though, and with the call for this winter being for colder weather I have gone to a true winter tire.

Im just saying I wouldn't rule out a car just cos it has All Seasons.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Because its Chicago, I am going to agree with you, but thats not true everywhere. I have run Conti DWS late fall thru early spring with pretty good success, cos I live in the PacNorWest and haven't seen snow or even close to freezing in several years.
I did switch to summer tires the balance of the year though, and with the call for this winter being for colder weather I have gone to a true winter tire.

Im just saying I wouldn't rule out a car just cos it has All Seasons.
604... anything with a treadwear rating of 300+ is going to be challenging from a traction standpoint considering the car has ~500 hp and 255 (max 275) width rear tires. The harder the rubber, the less grip you have and also the cheaper the tires... which, given the location of this particular vehicle, throws the red flag for me. Now, if you do live in Oregon, Washington state or BC in Canada, then yes, having all-seasons for the winter months would probably be a better option overall as a set of winters would get needlessly chewed up at temperatures that rarely drop below +10 C and would also provide less stability at speed due to the sipes (and thus tread squirm). In a place that gets a proper sub-zero winter with plenty of snow, all-seasons on an expensive car say to me "I couldn't afford the maintenance".
Old 11-16-2016, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Diabolis
604... anything with a treadwear rating of 300+ is going to be challenging from a traction standpoint considering the car has ~500 hp and 255 (max 275) width rear tires. The harder the rubber, the less grip you have and also the cheaper the tires... which, given the location of this particular vehicle, throws the red flag for me. Now, if you do live in Oregon, Washington state or BC in Canada, then yes, having all-seasons for the winter months would probably be a better option overall as a set of winters would get needlessly chewed up at temperatures that rarely drop below +10 C and would also provide less stability at speed due to the sipes (and thus tread squirm). In a place that gets a proper sub-zero winter with plenty of snow, all-seasons on an expensive car say to me "I couldn't afford the maintenance".
That's a mighty long way to say "I get your point" lol
Old 11-16-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
My c63 (which i am sadly selling) just has a summer set and a winter set. That is the only way to go with a car like this in a place that sees winters. All seasons MIGHT be ok in a place that doesnt see snow and salt just coolish temps.