C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Driver's Window Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
Driver's Window Replacement

Due to some fool driving the wrong way down the road, I need to replace both my drivers side - right side (RHD car) wing mirror housing and drivers door window on my coupe.

Does anyone have any tips for doing this? The cost of the window is negligible really but, the quotation I have from both MB and a good shop to replace the window seem to indicate that they want 2.5hr and also slap me with an SRS airbag reset. Is this necessary?

I was travelling on the correct side of a British road (narrow by American standards) and as I go to pass a van that is parked on the opposite side which is of no obstruction to me, this fool flies out from behind the van travelling the opposite way without yielding, and onto my side of the road. I manged somehow not to destroy the car and passenger side when I swerved left (remember, I am RHD) and limited the collision to the wing mirror only. Testament to the build quality of the unit, the glass movement works, so does the heating, power fold and indicator but the housing is cracked. The force of the impact which I'd say was a combined (me 25mph by the time I wiped off speed, and her 45mph I'd say) 70mph forced the mirror to hit the window and mark it.

I've polished out the paint transfer with Megs #105 and it looks heaps better but the scratch is beyond the reach of body compound so, it's either replace the glass or try one of these companies who can polish glass without distortion.

The other driver is being sticky so I'm going to have to pay this myself, as my insurer is literally not interested in pursuing a foreign insurer; I'll be leaving this company and insuring with another. She is a foreign student and was driving a Spanish LHD car which explains why she has no spacial awareness on UK roads; f-in dangerous! I'm trying to get the cash out of her but short of violence there's really not much I can do.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:57 AM

C63
Well, judging by the overwhelming response, no one has had to DIY this before and to be honest, with the dealer claiming I needed an SRS reset I wasn't crazy about pulling things apart.

So, I decided to look down the route of glass polishing companies who can remove defects using non-heat based methods that will not distort the glass. I have the Bentley manufacturing plant near to me so I decided to ask them what they would use and I was pointed towards GlasWeld.
Glasweld use a method that doesn't cut the glass or use direct heat, but instead through heat generated by friction and a series of pads, polishes and water. The process moves the top particles of glass around and into their original form and is not a abrasive at all. Apparently scratches in glass are most normally to the top layer only and are only visible because the particles in the material have been forced out of their intended shape. The GlasWeld process is to move these particles back into the original form and therefore repair the scratch, which is done by a combination of the polish but enough heat to make the glass workable. The process does not de-laminate the glass and it does not need resealing afterwards, it simply sets as it cools being that glass is a substance part liquid/part solid.

Anyway, the guy game out and had a look for me. He didn't seem upset by the mark and told me that they can fix much worse however, there is a warning with the process and this is that the glass may crack or shatter due to the heat produce by friction. It is rare apparently but it can happen. Anyway, 1.5hr later and the glass is perfect once again and I'd truly recommend anyone else to give this company a try for repairs.

The cost was about 1/4 of Mercedes and 1/3 of a good body shop who both wanted to replace the window and reset the airbags.

Before:

After:

As for the mirror cap, the indicator lens part was cracked so I have replaced this with a new one. Unfortunately you can't get just the indicator lens, it's a cap assembly inclusive of painted exterior, lens and also the indicator unit/LEDs.

Last edited by Cozy; 11-22-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: More info
Old 11-22-2016, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Like you have mentioned, probably no one has done it before. Glad to hear things have worked out.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Very nice indeed. I can see this working really well on the side windows compared to the windshield. Most will suggest to not ever try polishing windows due to the coating, distortion, etc., also most of the time they are referring to the windshield. Glad it worked out though and looks good.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:08 PM

C63
Thanks guys, you know what it's like when someone damages your car, it's almost in the same category as someone trying to kill your kid.

For side side windows if not hesitate to do this again but for a windshield it's probably more cost effective to replace it via your insurance/windshield insurance.