C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

So... My... Friend got pulled over in Cali

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by Wookii
What a hassle. Shoulda just installed cutouts in the first place.
honestly, never thought a cop would waste his time with it. I've driven past a hundred cops with a loud BOV and loud spooling turbo. They don't glance at you. Now exhaust is humming a little louder than most other cars at 2k rpm's and I get lit up... smh
Old 12-06-2016, 02:39 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
I also just contacted Ticket Assassin, he specializes in traffic and vehicle tickets in California. Good rep online, and seen a few reviews where he helped with the exact same vc I was slapped with. I'll keep everyone updated, I don't have high hopes in the least but I at least wanna grasp for straws. Who knows, maybe I pull one... (probably not lol).

****s and giggles heres the ticket:

Last edited by SuperFastYo; 12-06-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2010 C63 AMG Development Package
I have a "friend" with a similar setup as you except they left their resonator in. Still sounds good but doesn't get too loud for everyone else until after 3k rpm. If the ticket doesn't give you an option to pay it instead of showing up to court then its definitely worth fighting. I'll have to check out ticket assassin. I used Mr. Ticket for my last alleged speeding violation and they got it dropped. Cop wrote the ticket so that I was required to show up in court but never documented on how they clocked me. They just extended my court appearance as much as they could so they judge just dropped it after it had been 6 months from the ticket. I probably spent the same amount but don't have to worry about a point on my license and having my insurance affected.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:52 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by CaptnCharisma
I have a "friend" with a similar setup as you except they left their resonator in. Still sounds good but doesn't get too loud for everyone else until after 3k rpm. If the ticket doesn't give you an option to pay it instead of showing up to court then its definitely worth fighting. I'll have to check out ticket assassin. I used Mr. Ticket for my last alleged speeding violation and they got it dropped. Cop wrote the ticket so that I was required to show up in court but never documented on how they clocked me. They just extended my court appearance as much as they could so they judge just dropped it after it had been 6 months from the ticket. I probably spent the same amount but don't have to worry about a point on my license and having my insurance affected.
I only know of ticket assassin through nasioc. It got me out of a CHP ticket for 10mph over the speed limit a few years back.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2015 C63 AMG Coupe
here i am debating whether or not to cut out my 2nd cats... main concern is i am in California and don't want to have to go through this...
Old 12-14-2016, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by SuperFastYo
****s and giggles heres the ticket:

Seeing this (and bear in mind, I know nothing about CA law) I would like to change my opinion, cos now I think buddy has you by the short and curlies.

This says nothing about excessive noise, even if it was volume that made him look twice at you. This just says that you have modded your exhaust, and apparently thats illegal. He doesn't even need to have seen your exhaust, or have any type of sound meter, he just needs to be able to write you a ticket, and then its up to you to show that he's wrong. He just put the onus on you.

Dumb question but......they have printers right in the car or something? Never seen that before. All handwritten tickets here.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:27 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by AhhMyyGawd
here i am debating whether or not to cut out my 2nd cats... main concern is i am in California and don't want to have to go through this...
Driving in 'C' and going 3mph below the speed limit. I think he just had a bug up his ***. It's also a beach city. So stay away from those lol

Originally Posted by 604 C63
Seeing this (and bear in mind, I know nothing about CA law) I would like to change my opinion, cos now I think buddy has you by the short and curlies.

This says nothing about excessive noise, even if it was volume that made him look twice at you. This just says that you have modded your exhaust, and apparently thats illegal. He doesn't even need to have seen your exhaust, or have any type of sound meter, he just needs to be able to write you a ticket, and then its up to you to show that he's wrong. He just put the onus on you.

Dumb question but......they have printers right in the car or something? Never seen that before. All handwritten tickets here.
Great lol.

Printers are handheld, only the richer cities have them for the most part. I was caught in the carpool when I was late to work (orange county to LA, had to find some way faster lol). I got hit by a inglewood officer on his way back to the station, he had to handwrite. Most cities in Orange County have them though.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:33 AM

2015 C63 AMG Coupe
Driving in 'C' and going 3mph below the speed limit. I think he just had a bug up his ***. It's also a beach city. So stay away from those lol
I'm more worried that I wouldn't pass smog because sadly my car doesn't qualify for the new car 6 year smog exemption since I bought out of state. My smog is biannually. I seriously want to make my car louder. Was thinking of cutting out the secondary cats and doing straight pipe with clamps to switch back to stock secondary cats if i need or just buying an aftermarket catback exhaust. What do you think man.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:18 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by AhhMyyGawd
I'm more worried that I wouldn't pass smog because sadly my car doesn't qualify for the new car 6 year smog exemption since I bought out of state. My smog is biannually. I seriously want to make my car louder. Was thinking of cutting out the secondary cats and doing straight pipe with clamps to switch back to stock secondary cats if i need or just buying an aftermarket catback exhaust. What do you think man.
From what I gather is as long as you keep your primary (which besides LTH idk why you wouldnt) you'll pass smog. as far as payment and everything I have been updated (no idea how long its been in my mailbox, just checked before leaving to work this morning):

Last edited by SuperFastYo; 12-14-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
E63S AMG
From what I gather is as long as you keep your primary (which besides LTH idk why you wouldnt) you'll pass smog. as far as payment and everything I have been updated (no idea how long its been in my mailbox, just checked before leaving to work this morning)
There you go. Pay the $289 and be on your merry way!
Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by kjkidd21
There you go. Pay the $289 and be on your merry way!
Yes sir! Easy peasy. Not happy to have to pay anything but at least its not 500.00 or something high like that.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:09 PM

2015 C63 AMG Coupe
From what I gather is as long as you keep your primary (which besides LTH idk why you wouldnt) you'll pass smog. as far as payment and everything I have been updated (no idea how long its been in my mailbox, just checked before leaving to work this morning):

Wait what. I'm pretty sure in cali if you cut out secondary cats you will not pass smog.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:34 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
if you can find an officer to sign off the ticket do it. best to ask any chicks you know if they know any cops, because honestly they generally won't sign it off cause they're dicks and say you're wasting their time.

beyond that...it would cost anywhere between $80-260 to revert your system back to quieter levels. your choice to pay the bail or quiet it back down.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 12-14-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:45 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by hachiroku
if you can find an officer to sign off the ticket do it. best to ask any chicks you know if they know any cops, because honestly they generally won't sign it off cause they're dicks and say you're wasting their time.

beyond that...it would cost anywhere between $80-260 to revert your system back to quieter levels. your choice to pay the bail or quiet it back down.
I have a few buddies that are LA Police (I do executive protection on the side so a lot of the guys are cops). I'll hit one of them up, I'm just not sure bout the whole jurisdiction thing (it being separate counties)
Old 12-14-2016, 03:48 PM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
ya...you're not supposed to be able to have a ticket signed off by a cop in a different governing body. LAPD shouldn't be able to sign off OCPD, etc...but that's up to the courts clerk to let slide or not. If you mail it in, best it be signed off by the correct person.

btw...HB and Seal Beach PD are notorious for going after modified exhausts. Whenever I'm around those area's i drive super super slow and quiet.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 12-14-2016, 04:37 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by hachiroku
ya...you're not supposed to be able to have a ticket signed off by a cop in a different governing body. LAPD shouldn't be able to sign off OCPD, etc...but that's up to the courts clerk to let slide or not. If you mail it in, best it be signed off by the correct person.

btw...HB and Seal Beach PD are notorious for going after modified exhausts. Whenever I'm around those area's i drive super super slow and quiet.
this guy saw 4 tips on my exhaust and got a hard on. I couldn't have made the car any quieter than it was. Oh well. Gotta pay to play right??
Old 12-14-2016, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
this guy saw 4 tips on my exhaust and got a hard on.
Ummmm yeah. If he showed that to you there may be a way out of this. Especially if you got pics.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:55 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
Ummmm yeah. If he showed that to you there may be a way out of this. Especially if you got pics.
I uh... Have a napkin with evidence... Does that count? It got me out of illegal tint too...
Old 12-14-2016, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
I uh... Have a napkin with evidence... Does that count?
Maybe. Monica kept the dress but they never really got Bill.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
This thread took a very strange turn.

And it was my fault! LOL.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:31 PM

C63 AMG - LSD
This thread took a very strange turn.

And it was my fault! LOL.
Lol!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 2009
Back in the days i had a fixing tix for my exhaust. I took the car for inspection. They did an inspection on the sound level and i passed with a after market cat back (greddy).
But im not sure with the c63. Is loud at stock form
Old 12-15-2016, 09:20 AM

C63 AMG - LSD
Originally Posted by jay rick
Back in the days i had a fixing tix for my exhaust. I took the car for inspection. They did an inspection on the sound level and i passed with a after market cat back (greddy).
But im not sure with the c63. Is loud at stock form
I read (or somebody here mentioned) it can't be louder than 95 decibels... I'm 85% sure its much higher than that.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
^ When the laws were written they put some kind of number on it. Today, cars come from the factory louder at times so it can be hard to enforce and so you get tickets like the one you got.

Glad it turned out exactly how I mentioned / thought. Get ticket in mail, pay ticket, move on with life. Of course you run the risk of another ticket without fixing it but they are so rare.
The following users liked this post:
SuperFastYo (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Y'know... here I am reading this in wintry Canada thinking, OK, USA laws are different... but there is something that just doesn't make sense. Based on what you've written here, the cop HAS NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that you do have (or did have) a modified exhaust. Unless he commits perjury on the stand and testifies that he crawled under your car and is furthermore intimately familiar with what a C63 exhaust looks like, even I could have a field day in court with him and make him look like an idiot. You are allowed to cross-examine the cop, are you not? You simply pose your questions that will have him testify under oath that he has no evidence whatsoever. Officer, how did you determine that the exhaust is modified? [too loud]... can you please tell us how far you were from the vehicle when you heard the loud exhaust? [10 feet]... can you please tell us the sound pressure level in decibels of an AMG M156 engine with a stock exhaust at 10 feet? [he can't... or he offers some BS number]... so, this is based on your subjective opinion about the volume of the exhaust... how can you form an opinion about a quantitative measurement if you have no measurement device, officer? (or how can you form an opinion about the volume of my exhaust if you don't know how loud a stock AMG exhaust is?... or if he did give you some BS about how good his ears are, you ask "when was the last time you had your ears calibrated, officer? [he didn't unless he is Borg or RoboCop]... do you have x-ray vision officer? So - please answer with a "yes" or "no" only, officer... do you have any *factual* evidence or proof that my exhaust was modified? [he does not]. You then look at the judge and you say 'Your Honor, I move that you dismiss the case due to lack of evidence". The judge will then dismiss the case because they have to, and you go home with a smile on your face because you outsmarted a cop. It's really quite simple... the prosecution has to prove that you are guilty (and they have no proof whatsoever)... you don't have to prove that you are innocent. Forget about the whole "fix it" thing, paying the fine or finding a cop to sign off on a repair. Even if you are cross-examined, you don't offer anything self-incriminating and you stick to your story. PurpleHeartAMG said it perfectly in post #20 - "...he asked if the exhaust is modified and you said you bought it that way and weren't sure. I would stick to that and pair it with the fact the car is CA compliant and express that YOU have not modified the exhaust in any way." You are not a mechanic, so you can't possibly be sure unless you modified it YOURSELF (even if you paid a shop to do it, you still can't be sure that they did the work(!)... you bought a high-end performance car that among other things sounds loud. Anyone with half a brain could get this thrown out. Land of the free, you say? He has no freaking evidence. Period. Or am I missing something???

Last edited by Diabolis; 12-15-2016 at 03:05 PM. Reason: perjury... not purgery LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So... My... Friend got pulled over in Cali