C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Hit in Parking Lot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Hit in Parking Lot

So my office building shares with a number of other businesses, one of which is a business with a lot of daily traffic with people coming and going. Its a mixed bag between middle aged parents picking up their kids, and high school kids.

I don't particularly get along with this client base and have problems with them constantly parking in my loading dock during business hours, because either A) they cant read the signs B) are too inconsiderate and don't care C) both. The building also shares bathrooms, and are always left trashed by these patrons.

I left work late on Wednesday night like any other night, drove home, pulled in the garage, let the dog out, and as I was walking back into the house I noticed something funny on the passenger side rear. Please excuse how dirty the car, wheels, floor, everything is. We've had quite a bit of nuisance snow and even more salt/sand on the roads, I just cant keep up!

It was not like this when at lunch 4 hours prior, and I didnt go anywhere else after that, so the only logical conclusion is that someone hit it while it was parked and didn't have the ***** to leave their information, or come into my office and tell me. Instead they just decided to leave and pretend like it never happened, so now Im left with paying my deductible.

Ive talked to the business management next door to please ask clients if they have anyone willing to come forward.

The property manager for the building doesn't have functional cameras on this side of the building, so out of luck there.

There is a small amount of paint transfer and I was out in the parking lot last night inspecting other cars bumpers for signs of blue paint and damage, so far no solid evidence.
Bah Humbug
Old 12-23-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 & 2018 GLE63
Sorry to read about your misfortune. I empathize with you because I was hit during my morning commute two months ago and the driver took off on the shoulder of the highway in traffic, nearly causing another wreck during his escape. Once i got my car back from the shop a few weeks ago, another uninsured motorist rear ended me (but didn't get away, so I got all of his info), so my car is back in the shop again. The best thing you could do at this point is just chalk it up to your UMPD coverage for a lower deductible and get the repairs underway. If you do happen to discover the perpetrator, just pass the information along to your insurance to pursue subrogation.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 507
^^ Echoing what lionheart says. Sucks that some people are just inconsiderate and irresponsible, and leave you to deal with it after they damage your car. Has happened to me as well.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
i think you can get PDR on that. i had pretty bad damage on my car and this guy took 10 hours and $~1200

find a good pdr guy

heres my old audi

Old 12-23-2016, 11:23 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Thanks everyone for the kind words, sounds like you've all had it worse off than me. It could certainly be worse!

Ill look into PDR, the guy I use is affiliated with my detail shop does great work. I'm not sure it would be possible with the contouring of the fender, and the wrinkle in the door, but its worth looking into, thank you.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good pdr guy can get it so good you can only tell only if you stare at it for 5 min. hehe
Old 12-23-2016, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
That's the perfect place to be hit. Now you have a valid excuse for a widebody...
The following users liked this post:
Mbm6f (01-20-2017)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:44 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
That's the perfect place to be hit. Now you have a valid excuse for a widebody...
I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the second thing that crossed my mind after getting over the initial rage.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2010 GLK350
Definitely looks like something that can be done by a paint dent removal service. The fender-line edge may be a problem, but look like it'll be ok.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by Klepsta
I'd be lying if I said it wasn't the second thing that crossed my mind after getting over the initial rage.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I would always PDR if there was any hope before painting and it will probably be cheaper than your deductible!
Old 12-23-2016, 01:50 PM

2013 C63 AMG
The appraisal came in at $697... Maybe the pictures arent capturing all of the damage, or maybe it really isnt as bad as I thought?

Ive just sent a copy of the appraisal and new photos to my body shop, so hoping he can either correct the estimate, or confirm that its not really that bad. I'm not so hopeful, but well see. The body shop works with my detailer and PDR guy, so Im confident the best, most economical resolution will be reached soon.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
So my office building shares with a number of other businesses, one of which is a business with a lot of daily traffic with people coming and going. Its a mixed bag between middle aged parents picking up their kids, and high school kids.

I don't particularly get along with this client base and have problems with them constantly parking in my loading dock during business hours, because either A) they cant read the signs B) are too inconsiderate and don't care C) both. The building also shares bathrooms, and are always left trashed by these patrons.

I left work late on Wednesday night like any other night, drove home, pulled in the garage, let the dog out, and as I was walking back into the house I noticed something funny on the passenger side rear. Please excuse how dirty the car, wheels, floor, everything is. We've had quite a bit of nuisance snow and even more salt/sand on the roads, I just cant keep up!

It was not like this when at lunch 4 hours prior, and I didnt go anywhere else after that, so the only logical conclusion is that someone hit it while it was parked and didn't have the ***** to leave their information, or come into my office and tell me. Instead they just decided to leave and pretend like it never happened, so now Im left with paying my deductible.

Ive talked to the business management next door to please ask clients if they have anyone willing to come forward.

The property manager for the building doesn't have functional cameras on this side of the building, so out of luck there.

There is a small amount of paint transfer and I was out in the parking lot last night inspecting other cars bumpers for signs of blue paint and damage, so far no solid evidence.
Bah Humbug
The odds of anyone coming forward are about the same as the guy who did this leaving a note at the time.
If you run a finger nail across the lines is there any evidence of a gouge in your paint?
If not, my bet is with some patience and elbow grease you can buff it off as your paint may be OK.
First step is soak it with WD40 and try remove as much of the other paint as possible. Alcohol may work too.
Get some decent quality finer rubbing compound and work it gently to remove the residue of the white paint keeping withing close bounds of the area.
From there use finer polishing compounds and work the area back to a clear bright finish. A polishing pad on a hand polishing machine would help as long as you are careful.
If you don't want to tackle it a detailing shop can do it.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
Wait, are you missing paint? If so, there's no way on God's green earth that's $700 worth of work.

To properly repair that, a PDR guy is gonna have to remove as much as possible. Then, a body shop would body fill the imperfections to create a smooth shape.

At that point, you'be looking at painting which will involve quite a bit of blending into a large portion of the panel.

At $700, I'm almost certain they're going to PDR it, hit it with a buffer, and call it a day. Not exactly the way I'd want to go about it.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG3.2
Wait, are you missing paint? If so, there's no way on God's green earth that's $700 worth of work.

To properly repair that, a PDR guy is gonna have to remove as much as possible. Then, a body shop would body fill the imperfections to create a smooth shape.

At that point, you'be looking at painting which will involve quite a bit of blending into a large portion of the panel.

At $700, I'm almost certain they're going to PDR it, hit it with a buffer, and call it a day. Not exactly the way I'd want to go about it.
watch my video no repaint. 10 hr of work!!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by tpliquid
watch my video no repaint. 10 hr of work!!
+1
Old 12-23-2016, 06:11 PM

2013 C63 AMG
I cleaned up the area and hit it quickly with some correcting polish to take care of any of the very minor scratches or paint transfer. Couple more pics below. 2 or 3 stages is compound and polish may do the trick, but I'm not capable of correcting the panels myself.

There are a couple of pretty deep scratches that if I run my finger nail over it digs in. It may be still able to be wet sanded and compounded. There are also three creases that I'm not sure can be pushed out and not have a ripple in the paint. I have had great success with PDR in the past by wont know for sure until I can get it to the body shop.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Sorry to hear about this, some people are unethical and without a conscience. Karma will take care of them, though. Luckily, I don't think it should cost an arm and a leg via PDR. I've seen some incredible PDR results from some serious-looking damage.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
I cleaned up the area and hit it quickly with some correcting polish to take care of any of the very minor scratches or paint transfer. Couple more pics below. 2 or 3 stages is compound and polish may do the trick, but I'm not capable of correcting the panels myself.

There are a couple of pretty deep scratches that if I run my finger nail over it digs in. It may be still able to be wet sanded and compounded. There are also three creases that I'm not sure can be pushed out and not have a ripple in the paint. I have had great success with PDR in the past by wont know for sure until I can get it to the body shop.

That is sad. Had a similar issue with my CLA45 AMG 9 weeks after I got it new. $1140 to repair because a lot of R&R work.
A passerby got a plate and description which the insurance company used to leaverage a confession and she paid but still an inconvenience.
Hopefully someone will return the favour.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 507
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
That is sad. Had a similar issue with my CLA45 AMG 9 weeks after I got it new. $1140 to repair because a lot of R&R work.
A passerby got a plate and description which the insurance company used to leaverage a confession and she paid but still an inconvenience.
Hopefully someone will return the favour.
Love the passerby!
Old 12-25-2016, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....

All jokes aside, hopefully you will be able to get away without paying too much. Maybe by chance the person will be found. Best of luck.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Unfortunately there are just too many inconsiderate *******s on this planet.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
A few years ago someone did that to my 25quattro S4, in pretty much exactly the same spot, and I didn't even notice the damage for two days as I never walked around that side of the car. The good news was that insurance covered the cost of the repairs, which IIRC was about $4K including the rental. It is essentially a hit-and-run - you're not at fault. You need to report it and your insurance will take care of the repairs. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2012 C63 AMG P31
That sucks. Similar thing happened to me, but I tracked the guy down with security camera footage.

Unfortunately, that doesn't look like a PDR fix and it will probably be more than $697.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:14 AM

2013 C63 AMG
I have an appointment with my body shop on January the 9th. Waiting is a bummer, but at least we are making progress.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hit in Parking Lot