CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

sticky steering wheel buttons

Old 03-04-2007, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question sticky steering wheel buttons

Hi ALL! i gave my cl55amg in for valet, after getting the car back i noticed the controls on the steering wheel were sticky when i pressed them (volume control, telephone, dashboard menu and navigate button). I tried cleaning it off with a damp cloth thinking it would go away but seems to have made it worse! I have tried using my nails to scratch it off, appears like a gooey film on the controls and isn't shifting! upon calling the garage that did it they said all mercedes have this s'ticky' control problem!

can anyone help on what to do to get the buttons back to normal! Thank You!
Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 AM

05 CL65AMG / 00 BMW M5
Hard luck. I wonder what they spilled on it that caked so bad.
A few years back I opened a can of pop in while in the drivers seat. When it opened it sprayed slightly. One drop ended up falling right on the steering control button and continued into the gap. Had a similar exerience...tried to clean up and get it to work with little success. Normally I would disassemble the switch and try to clean the contacts but I was affraid of messing around in the area of the air bag. BMW ended up swapping it out with a new switch under good will / warranty. Needless to say that I dont open pop in the car anymore.
Good Luck
Old 03-04-2007, 02:27 PM

May sound nuts, but its amazing the things DW-40 will clean. Spray a small amount on a paper/cloth towel and try. It won't hurt the button, I just did mine.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM

to: cl55amg2002

what happened with the buttons???????
Old 09-06-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL600
happens as a natural deterioration of the material used for and/or on the buttons. goo gone works really well to dislodge the goo. i followed up with 91% isopropyl alcohol and the goo gone and the goo came off easily. typical 70% alcohol sold in drug stores won't work, needs to be 90+%, also can be purchased at the drug store. now good as new!