CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Does anyone make a starless grill for W215?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Maybe it's different over there? I have cruise control, which lets me set a constant speed, but not Distronic, which measures the distance to the car in front and applies braking pressure if I get too close.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes
In the states I can see how it would be helpful. Say I'm on the interstate and there's one semi truck going 65, and one going 66 trying to pass the other (speed limit is 70). My CL would slow down to match the 66 speed, then when he got out of the way I could go on by and never touch anything besides the steering wheel. I think it's one of those things that seems stupid until you use it...I do wish I had it, although Parktronic is not something I would find useful. I drive a large pickup most of the time...and if I can't park the CL, I have no business with anything bigger than a Smart!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:24 PM

CL500
Now I get it. We have a similar situation here in the UK. Heavy Goods Vehicles are limited to 55 mph, whereas the national speed limit is 70 mph. Every now and then (well quite a lot actually) one such juggernaut will pull out to pass another behemoth because his limiter is that crucial 1 mph faster. Most of the time you just pull into the third lane but, if it happens when there are only two lanes your principle would apply. Are interstates only two lanes then?

From your explanation I can also see how it might be useful on the autobahns. Despite their faster sped limits, from 90 kph to unlimited, they are often only two lanes. Very often a car will join the autobahn from a slip lane. Their slower speed forces those in the slow lane to pull into the fast lane, usually just as you have reached the 155 mph your Mercedes limiter has set for you, occasioning much fast braking. It would be interesting to see how Distronic coped with that!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by AMWebby
Now I get it. We have a similar situation here in the UK. Heavy Goods Vehicles are limited to 55 mph, whereas the national speed limit is 70 mph. Every now and then (well quite a lot actually) one such juggernaut will pull out to pass another behemoth because his limiter is that crucial 1 mph faster. Most of the time you just pull into the third lane but, if it happens when there are only two lanes your principle would apply. Are interstates only two lanes then?

From your explanation I can also see how it might be useful on the autobahns. Despite their faster sped limits, from 90 kph to unlimited, they are often only two lanes. Very often a car will join the autobahn from a slip lane. Their slower speed forces those in the slow lane to pull into the fast lane, usually just as you have reached the 155 mph your Mercedes limiter has set for you, occasioning much fast braking. It would be interesting to see how Distronic coped with that!
The interstates where I live are mostly 2 lanes in each direction, until you get to the larger towns and then they open up significantly...I think Dallas/Fort Worth has 6 in each direction at one point, if I recall correctly.

On a different note, I don't think distronic could compensate for a hugely drastic speed change in a short period of time. However, I do not have distronic and therefore that statement is nothing more than speculation. It would be most helpful for the times when someone is going just a mph or two slower than you, or you just can't seem to find that "sweet spot" in which to stay with flow...
Old 10-19-2009, 04:36 PM

CLK63 BS
There you go, I'm either using to cruise at say 80 in the left lane...and if someone cuts into the lane and are slower than me it will slow down.

I have had distronic go from 75ish-0 hard braking...It holds up pretty good lol, can't say I didn't pee a little though.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Yes
Originally Posted by fatmike
There you go, I'm either using to cruise at say 80 in the left lane...and if someone cuts into the lane and are slower than me it will slow down.

I have had distronic go from 75ish-0 hard braking...It holds up pretty good lol, can't say I didn't pee a little though.

So distronic can actually stop the car with the brakes, rather than just downshifting and backing out of the throttle?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:09 PM

CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by FormulaZR
So distronic can actually stop the car with the brakes, rather than just downshifting and backing out of the throttle?
do you have it? It for sure uses the brakes...
Old 10-20-2009, 08:33 AM

Yes
Originally Posted by fatmike
do you have it? It for sure uses the brakes...

No, I don't have it...that's why I was asking to what extent it can function.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 AM

CL500
I'm still not sure I'd get the use out of Distronic to justify the cost. Linguatronic I do see as useful and may just stump up the £700 + fitting.

Back on topic the grille keeps looking better and better. People keep asking what performance model it is, once they've worked out it is a Mercedes. I may just have to remove the CL500 badge from the rear...

Does anyone make a starless grill for W215?-grille002.jpg
Old 10-21-2009, 08:32 AM

Yes
I'm still not sure I'd get the use out of Distronic to justify the cost. Linguatronic I do see as useful and may just stump up the £700 + fitting.

Back on topic the grille keeps looking better and better. People keep asking what performance model it is, once they've worked out it is a Mercedes. I may just have to remove the CL500 badge from the rear...

Attachment 168370
You know, that just looks better everytime I see it. I am still waiting to hear back on getting one shipped to the US; in the meantime I'll just ogle your car!

BTW, is Linguatronic the voice commands? If so, def spend some time in a car with it...I have that feature and have maybe used it once; and that was just to show off!
Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 AM

CL500
Yes, it has the same effect on me. :-)

Linguatronic is voice control. I think it would be useful for making phone calls and entering navigation commands without taking my eyes off the road.

Germany goes on vacation for most of October. I'll send a thank you note to Andrea and see if I get a reply.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:26 PM

CL500
Got your grille yet FormulaZR?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Yes
Got your grille yet FormulaZR?

Not yet, sir...still kind of dealing with the "other" car.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cl 65
http://www.ebay.com/itm/W215-1999-20...-/110983742557

here is the person selling them on egay