CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

oil leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S600
Originally Posted by kfillhart
It would probably be hard to reroute and put in an external cooler. The 2 hoses on top of the cooler are breather lines. The oil enters and exits through the bottom, you can see where in the pictures of the engine with cooler out.
Another issue with relocating is there is coolant that runs under the cooler too. Better off replacing it or making your own gasket. If you make your own gasket I would recommend putting the cooler in water and running air into to test for leaks. It would suck to do all that work and it still leak. Getting a new cooler is safe bet. I have never heard of the new cooler leaking again but that's not saying it hasn't happened.
Thanks and I do understand, just trying to not have to pull the heads. IS ther any tricks I need to know before I dig in? Anything would help. thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 PM

cl600
It is a long tough job. It was many years ago when I did this but I remember the exhaust manifold on the drivers side being hard to reach, you need swivels and many extensions.
The other main thing I can remember is cam gears. Those suckers are spring loaded, if you take the bolt out of it watch out, it will fly across your garage. Mercedes has a special tool to remove and reinstall cam gears. I made my own tool but it took time to come up with something.
There are a type of dowel pins for the timing cover that were complicated, can't remember exactly but on drivers side you need to find a bolt to screw into the pin so far it hits the end of the cylinder head and the force backs the pin out of the head.
When you have it apart you will probably notice several vacuum hoses are brittle, replace them all with some new rubber tubing.
Your local Mercedes dealer should be able to hook you up with torque specs when putting back together.
I took notes on all this but moved 3 times in the last few years so who knows where they ended up
Old 06-25-2014, 05:01 PM

2001 S600
Smile S600 oil leak

Dude,
Thanks for your time and help, really cool !
Old 01-24-2016, 02:55 PM

2002 cl600
Oil Cooler/Intake/Exhaust Replacement Torque Specs

Ready to replace the cooler with a new one ($400) from Mercedes dealer in AZ.

Do you know the recommended torque pattern and specs for all the critical stuff? We already have the head bolt info.

Also, is silicon sealant used on the cooler?

Thanks,
Brett
2002 CL600 130K miles
Old 12-22-2016, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL600
Alright, I will attempt to revive this tread too. In everyone's attempts to do this, have you found that we could simply remove the head bolts and slide them back just enough to remove the oil cooler? Bypassing the need to remove the timing chain and exhaust manifolds from the cats?
Old 12-26-2016, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
OAlternatives to TCU replacement

Originally Posted by droc112
Well fell..and then on top of that my tech went to do a test drive and noticed that my trans wasnt shifting right did a diagnostic and it showed that my tcm was bad: pray for me guys...
Did the tech keep the electronics ECU and TCU powered up through the OBDII port whilst he was working on it? This often overlooked! If he did not keep it powered up then all the TCU needs is a reflash at the dealer.

If he did keep it powered up, the TCU may need to "relearn" the characteristics of the renewed engine and the way you drive. If the car doesn't move the TCU is shot. If is shifting strangely, I'd drive it around for awhile so it "relearns" your driving habits and that of the renewed engine.

Just a thought.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:58 AM

W210 E240
Do you have any idea oil cooler gasket together with oil cooler whic one having insid

Originally Posted by kfillhart
Here are some pictures when I tore my V12 down last winter. !FUN, FUN, FUN! If anyone attempts to do this on their own, as I did, I'll be happy to give some tips and tricks on how to make the job a little easier and less painful.
Expect 30+ hours to do this from beginning to end
Do you have any idea oil cooler gasket together with oil cooler which one having inside