CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 600
Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag

Ok, so i bought a new set of steering wheel buttons from MB for less than $180.00. Im looking forward to replacing the gummy old buttons as to make the interior look perfect again. I realize there are x2 30 torx's on the back side of the steering wheel that release the airbag assembly and allow me to replace the buttons on both sides.

My question is simply this. With the car "OFF" is it 100% safe to remove the airbag, replace the buttons and then replace the airbag? And will there be any codes when i re-start the car?

Thanks for any help, i hope to complete this tomorrow...
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
First, do this at your own risk, don't hold me liable for anything, all other disclaimers apply.

Move steering wheel all the way forward so you have clearance.

Unplug the battery. Let the car sit for 30 minutes. Press the brake pedal (tries to turn on brake lights) to make sure everything is drained. Touch the metal hood or roof to ground yourself and get rid of static.

Unscrew two screws using allen wrench. They are tough and a little hard to reach. Unplug button wires and remove the single wire for the airbag. You are now holding a grenade. Point it away from your face and try not to shuffle anything (static) or touch the airbag contact.

Swap the button assembly. Reconnect button cables, then airbag. Rescrew. Plug battery back in.

You shouldn't have any codes. This is actually pretty easy, it's just you want to be careful (safety first).
Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 AM

CL 600
Originally Posted by saintz
First, do this at your own risk, don't hold me liable for anything, all other disclaimers apply.

Move steering wheel all the way forward so you have clearance.

Unplug the battery. Let the car sit for 30 minutes. Press the brake pedal (tries to turn on brake lights) to make sure everything is drained. Touch the metal hood or roof to ground yourself and get rid of static.

Unscrew two screws using allen wrench. They are tough and a little hard to reach. Unplug button wires and remove the single wire for the airbag. You are now holding a grenade. Point it away from your face and try not to shuffle anything (static) or touch the airbag contact.

Swap the button assembly. Reconnect button cables, then airbag. Rescrew. Plug battery back in.

You shouldn't have any codes. This is actually pretty easy, it's just you want to be careful (safety first).
Thanks a bunch. I will attempt this tomorrow and report back. Other than avoiding the static thing, i cant see how the MB techs are doing anything differently. I dont think they have the capability to completely disable the airbag before removal or anything like that.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 AM

cl500 2001
Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Thanks a bunch. I will attempt this tomorrow and report back. Other than avoiding the static thing, i cant see how the MB techs are doing anything differently. I dont think they have the capability to completely disable the airbag before removal or anything like that.
Would you mind sharing the part numbers you have for the buttons and who you ordered them from?
I am considering replacing mine in the future and am interested in what if any issues you encounter replacing them.

Thx for sharing.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:57 PM

CL 600
Originally Posted by nlieber
Would you mind sharing the part numbers you have for the buttons and who you ordered them from?
I am considering replacing mine in the future and am interested in what if any issues you encounter replacing them.

Thx for sharing.
A 220 821 06 79 7421, this is straight off the box. Ordered them from my local MB dealer.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 PM

CL 600
I used the advice from Saintz and the install went well.

The tools needed:
10mm socket and wratchet(to disconnect battery)
#30 Torx(to remove airbag), this must be very short and thin. See the 90 degree(yellow) tool in the pics below.
#20 Torx(to remove buttons)
Pick set
Tiny flathead screwdriver set(to disconnect connectors)

The process is:

Put the steering wheel in the position you wish it to stay in while you work.

Disconnect battery and wait 30 min.

Loosen the 2 #30 torx screws on the back of the steering wheel until you can pull the airbag forward away from the steering wheel, you do NOT have to remove them completely.

Remove the airbag connector(yellow), i prefer using my fingers not a metal tool just to be safe. Its pretty snug so i just carefully wiggled it as i pulled up unitl it released.

Remove the other connector(black), this one is really tough to remove. There is a tiny hole on the inside of the female end of the connector, allowing you to use a 90 degree angled pick to push in the little tab. Unfortunately it is very hard to access this tiny tab so i just used a flat head screwdriver to carefully pry it apart.

Now you can flip the airbag over and remove the 4 #20 torx screws(2 on each side) holding the button assemblies on. One side has 2 connectors and the other has 3. These are the same as the difficult black one mentioned above, except the tiny tabs are easily accessible to push down on with a pic or tiny flat head screwdriver.

Be sure to check that the buttons fit properly(aesthetically) and then re-install everything in the reverse order. Reconnect your battery and ensure that the buttons work. Voila!

***Now i do have one favor to ask. My phone buttons(lower right side) do not function, meaning when i push them nothing happens in any screen. My phone is not setup so maybe thats why. I just need somone to confirm if these are supposed to be doing something when i push them?

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 11-03-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM

CL 600
Pics:
Attached Thumbnails Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-009.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-003.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-004.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-005.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM

CL 600
More pics:
Attached Thumbnails Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-006.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-007.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-008.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 AM

cl500 2001
Nice report on your successful replacement! My phone is also not setup and the buttons (phone) do nothing when depressed.
Thx for including pictures also.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:37 AM

CLK63 BS
Nice write up. Should help out a decent amount of people
Old 11-04-2011, 11:50 PM

CL 600
Originally Posted by nlieber
Nice report on your successful replacement! My phone is also not setup and the buttons (phone) do nothing when depressed.
Thx for including pictures also.
Good to know that about the phone button, thanks.

Glad i can help!!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
i read that wd40 will clean the buttons. anyone try this?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL600, CL2 Sport Package, Eurocharged / 2014 Jeep SRT / 2009 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 LS2
Restore Command Navigation Screen & Steering Wheel Control Buttons

Hello All,

I hope my message reaches everyone enjoying a great New Year. I own a 2003 CL600 purchased from Bruce of Becks Imports with 71,000 miles. The ECU has been Eurocharged through John at Broadway Performance and the car performs spectacular. However there were issues that bothered me. My Command Navigation Screen had areas where the AR coating was partially removed leaving it extremely discolored. Also my Steering Wheel Control Buttons had almost 10 years worth of sticky build-up covering them and down grading an almost perfect interior. This wonderful site gave me information that enabled me to fix both problems for only $25.00.

1) Novus Plastic Restorer Kit
2) Goo Gone Orange Adhesive Remover

I just finished using Novus Plastic Restorer on my CL600 Command Navigation Screen. If you are patient and follow the steps correctly your screen will once again look new. The product has 3 applications. No. 1 Clean & Shine, No. 2 Scratch Remover, and No. 3 Heavy Scratch Remover. Simply follow the enclosed instructions. It will take about 30 minutes and never apply too much pressure. The product worked flawlessly. The Command Screen is like new.

My Steering Wheel Control Buttons were also in terrible shape. I had thoughts of replacing them, but at a replacement cost of about $200.00 and taking apart the entire wheel was not a good option for me. I purchased Goo Gone. I used a clean and soft microfiber cloth and saturated one corner of it with the Goo Gone. I worked the product over each button, holding the button down at the corner to stop it from moving back and forth.

I had almost a decade of sticky build-up on those buttons. Again, your patience will pay off. I used about a quarter of the bottle of Goo Gone and 30 minutes of elbow grease. The Goo Gone removed all of the build-up on the buttons. I removed the excess Goo Gone, and completely dried the buttons. I then applied Novus #2, to remove any scratches from the buttons. Then applied Novus #1 to clean and polish the buttons. The buttons are now like new. I greatly appreciate all the posts on this site, they have helped me greatly. I'm glad to be able to offer something back.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Anthony

Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W215/X164/W124
Originally Posted by acbaines
Hello All,

I hope my message reaches everyone enjoying a great New Year. I own a 2003 CL600 purchased from Bruce of Becks Imports with 71,000 miles. The ECU has been Eurocharged through John at Broadway Performance and the car performs spectacular. However there were issues that bothered me. My Command Navigation Screen had areas where the AR coating was partially removed leaving it extremely discolored. Also my Steering Wheel Control Buttons had almost 10 years worth of sticky build-up covering them and down grading an almost perfect interior. This wonderful site gave me information that enabled me to fix both problems for only $25.00.

1) Novus Plastic Restorer Kit
2) Goo Gone Orange Adhesive Remover

I just finished using Novus Plastic Restorer on my CL600 Command Navigation Screen. If you are patient and follow the steps correctly your screen will once again look new. The product has 3 applications. No. 1 Clean & Shine, No. 2 Scratch Remover, and No. 3 Heavy Scratch Remover. Simply follow the enclosed instructions. It will take about 30 minutes and never apply too much pressure. The product worked flawlessly. The Command Screen is like new.

My Steering Wheel Control Buttons were also in terrible shape. I had thoughts of replacing them, but at a replacement cost of about $200.00 and taking apart the entire wheel was not a good option for me. I purchased Goo Gone. I used a clean and soft microfiber cloth and saturated one corner of it with the Goo Gone. I worked the product over each button, holding the button down at the corner to stop it from moving back and forth.

I had almost a decade of sticky build-up on those buttons. Again, your patience will pay off. I used about a quarter of the bottle of Goo Gone and 30 minutes of elbow grease. The Goo Gone removed all of the build-up on the buttons. I removed the excess Goo Gone, and completely dried the buttons. I then applied Novus #2, to remove any scratches from the buttons. Then applied Novus #1 to clean and polish the buttons. The buttons are now like new. I greatly appreciate all the posts on this site, they have helped me greatly. I'm glad to be able to offer something back.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Anthony
do you have before and after picture
also picture of the product
Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Banned

2003 CL600, CL2 Sport Package, Eurocharged / 2014 Jeep SRT / 2009 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 LS2
Restore Command Navigation Screen & Steering Wheel Control Buttons

Hello Wease206,

I hope this reply reaches you doing well. I regret I don't have before pictures to offer. I didn't expect to post a comment about that Sunday morning to do list with my CL600. My Command Screen, and Steering Wheel Control Buttons were in a condition similar to problem pictures already posted on this site. I do have after pictures for everyone's review. This link is below.

Best regards,

Anthony

http://img440.imageshack.us/slidesho...?id=027nup.jpg

Last edited by acbaines; 01-12-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Incorrect Link
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM

W215/X164/W124
Hello Wease206,

I hope this reply reaches you doing well. I regret I don't have before pictures to offer. I didn't expect to post a comment about that Sunday morning to do list with my CL600. My Command Screen, and Steering Wheel Control Buttons were in a condition similar to problem pictures already posted on this site. I do have after pictures for everyone's review. This link is below.

Best regards,

Anthony

http://img440.imageshack.us/slidesho...?id=027nup.jpg
hello Anthony,

The link you provided cant open
pm me
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Banned

Missing Link

Hello Wease,

I just tried to upload some of the pictures. I hope it works.

Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-020hns.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-021lp.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-022rv.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-023fn.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-024ns.jpg  

Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-025pd.jpg  
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned

Missing Links 2

It worked! Here are the other pictures.

Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-026fy.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-027nu.jpg   Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag-029an.jpg  
Old 01-28-2012, 02:06 PM

2003 V12 CL600, a Supercharged 2002 Z06, an 89 Corvette and an 07 Jeep Wrangler
It worked! Here are the other pictures.

Anthony
Thank you! My buttons look like crap!

Andrew
Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 AM

W215/X164/W124
Hello Wease,

Anthony
Anthony,

Thank you
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM

CL 600
Hello Wease,

Anthony
Looks like you had really good results on your buttons. I love Goo Gone but i have always considered it more harsh than rubbing alcohol, yet rubbing alcohol went through the sticky build up and actually removed the black paint from my buttons(they are white underneath). Guess i should have tried the Goo Gone first, hard to say if it would have made any difference though.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 PM

'05 S430 4MATIC Sport, 2009 GT Zaskar MTB
Looks like you had really good results on your buttons. I love Goo Gone but i have always considered it more harsh than rubbing alcohol, yet rubbing alcohol went through the sticky build up and actually removed the black paint from my buttons(they are white underneath). Guess i should have tried the Goo Gone first, hard to say if it would have made any difference though.
FYI for future reference. You do not need to disconnect the battery when replacing these buttons. The Air Bag is not going to pop just from you disconnecting the wiring.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
So is goo gone the best way to clean the sticky buttons or is there an easier way that takes less time ?
Old 12-07-2014, 03:20 PM

'05 S430 4MATIC Sport, 2009 GT Zaskar MTB
Originally Posted by tusabes
So is goo gone the best way to clean the sticky buttons or is there an easier way that takes less time ?
Just get replacement buttons. MBZwholsale.com. $156 for the set.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Mercedes CLK 200 Kompressor W208
button removal

Can someone please tell me if it is possible to remove the buttons without taking off the steering wheel. I need to do a complete clean and repaint of mine since the paint has worn away to show the white plastic in patches. It looks grubby. I think I could do a better job with this if the buttons could be removed.

thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing steering wheel buttons and removing the airbag