CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ABC to coil over conversion guinea pig here

Old 08-05-2016, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500
Tusabes,
I added sway bars to my abc equipped cl500. I currently have the strutmasters conversion and I am happy with the stance and ride after adding sway bars. The only thing I don't like is the rebound control on the struts. When going over speed bumps or dips on roads the car bounces quite a bit. Can you tell me how the arnott kit is as far as bounce and rebound control is concerned?
Old 08-06-2016, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Arnott does not make an abc conversion kit
Only an airmatic conversion kit
Old 08-06-2016, 10:12 AM

CL500
I am aware of that. It was my understanding that the arnott kit would fit just Arnott would not package them for abc cars due to lack of sway bars. I have added sway bars on mine. I was just wanting to know how the dampening control of the struts were?
Old 09-25-2023, 07:52 PM

wdbjf55fxtj020203
Originally Posted by ctravis595
i have the front factory struts out and the strutmasters struts in on the front, but i can't seem to get the end of the hydraulic line removed from the factory strut (it's necessary to cap the end of hydraulic line). it's being blocked by the housing at the top of the strut. the strutmasters instructional video shows them putting it on a vice and then torqueing the top retainment nut off with a pipe wrench in the front pair installation video, but then in the rear pair installation video it shows them hammering it off in a circular direction to unscrew it(using a chisel)

when i twist it off with a wrench the top retainment nut spins freely inside of the strut....

if anybody has any suggestions on how to disassemble the housing on top of the factory strut to access the 18 mm nut holding the hydraulic line it would be greatly appreciated. i'm trying to be as delicate as possible with the factory strut as i understand it's worth selling used. but right now my suspension conversion is sitting with no progress being made...

this is the video in which they use the hammer and chisel to unscrew the nut(3:50)

this is the video in which the use the pipe wrench and twist it off (3:14)

waiting until monday morning for the service techs at strutmasters to come back in to the office so i can contact them
Hello everyone
Did anyone here ever replaced the Airmatic with Max Speed Rod kit?
I received awesome kit with adjustable highest nuts and special wrench, anyway if you ever done this can you please tell me where do I install the 2 50 Watt resistors???
Please help ,, I know these resistors are for deleting the ABC warning system but I do not know where exactly to put them,, Help
Old 11-25-2023, 01:06 PM

Mercedes cl500
I did the abc to coil over swap myself. I used Ceika coil overs and have no complaints at all. I ended up replacing the power steering pump with a one from a 2005 E500. It’s been working fine for a couple years now.
Also I see people worried about the sway bars…. There is a company called Aleksracing.com that sells strut bars and sway bars for the s500 that fit on my CL500. They have front sway bar, middle bars and rear bars. Check them out.

Last edited by BeazyTattoos; 11-25-2023 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:41 PM

2001 S500
Originally Posted by ctravis595
I just got off the phone with the owner of the company that makes the conversion kit and he says the car handles very well despite not having sway bars, said he would try to send a video of a cl they have with the kit installed driving around for a bit. If I get the video ill share it here

the owner said he only knows of one person who has done what im considering doing, I dont know why I thought all s class models were ABC equipped, but to my suprise they have airmatic models which feature the 500 engine with the non ABC power steering pump. So im sure that will fit in like it should. Only problem would be retrofitting the pump hoses to fit the steering assembly. If anybody has any information regarding the power steering on the ABC or airmatic equipped benzos please feel free to discuss. at this point im basically trying to figure out how much of the s500 steering assembly/hoses will have to be swapped into my ABC stock Benz

Should also note that the strutmasters kit comes with end caps for the hydraulic lines so that the ABC pump still runs (for the sake of the power steering)
I just purchased a 2002 cl500 with yellow speed racing coil overs and having had 3 other Mercedes the ride is ok but nowhere near what a Mercedes drives like.
the car drives fine on the streets and on the highway as long as your going straight.
anything over 60 mph hitting bumps while on a turn the car is alittle sketchy.
the person that did the install did a good job and even installed the lower arms for the sway bar but didn’t install it.
im definitely going to install front and rear sway bars as soon as possible.