CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2002 cl600 ignition key will not turn

Old 12-09-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500, bentley GT, 911 cab, 1947 lincoln continental cabriolet
2002 cl600 ignition key will not turn

My ignition key will not turn at all. Yesterday after trying many times removing key and reinserting it did turn and start and displayed many faults (abs, speedtronic and others) Distronic did not work. After shutting off and restarting -- no faults and Distronic worked. Today key will not turn again. Do key fob batteries have anything to do with this. Car will not lock or flash lights when I hit unlock. Love this car but am ready to give up on it when simple functions like turning ignition fail. Just spent over $3000 on coil packs and oxygen sensors 2 days ago.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
No, the batteries in the key are not the problem as they only drive the locking feature when using the key fob buttons.

The ignition is not dependent of the key fobs batteries.

Your key *may* be the issue. They are only good for however many thousand starts.

However, I have seen way more modules go out than keys when this happens. EIS, Gateway, etc.

You'll need to have the car diagnosed with the factory workshop system, STAR DAS to know whats happening.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Update on key problem

Originally Posted by cl600bill
My ignition key will not turn at all. Yesterday after trying many times removing key and reinserting it did turn and start and displayed many faults (abs, speedtronic and others) Distronic did not work. After shutting off and restarting -- no faults and Distronic worked. Today key will not turn again. Do key fob batteries have anything to do with this. Car will not lock or flash lights when I hit unlock. Love this car but am ready to give up on it when simple functions like turning ignition fail. Just spent over $3000 on coil packs and oxygen sensors 2 days ago.
Used alcohol to wipe end of electronic key and swabbed inside of ignition switch with cue tip and alcohol. Key turned and car started immediately. Let it sit overnight and started again several times ---everything OK. Will let it sit a few more days and try again. Afraid to drive far from home because I just can't trust it. Anyone with similar fault?

Hard to understand why Mercedes engineers these so called improvements that are prone to failure. My old '75 450sl has a key that has worked for 40 years and shows no sign of wearing out. The only improvement visible to me is that when I turn the key it activates the starter and keeps it going until start is complete instead of having to keep holding the key in start position until it starts. Is this "improvement" worth the failure prone re-engineered electronic key?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 PM

Used alcohol to wipe end of electronic key and swabbed inside of ignition switch with cue tip and alcohol. Key turned and car started immediately. Let it sit overnight and started again several times ---everything OK. Will let it sit a few more days and try again. Afraid to drive far from home because I just can't trust it. Anyone with similar fault?

Hard to understand why Mercedes engineers these so called improvements that are prone to failure. My old '75 450sl has a key that has worked for 40 years and shows no sign of wearing out. The only improvement visible to me is that when I turn the key it activates the starter and keeps it going until start is complete instead of having to keep holding the key in start position until it starts. Is this "improvement" worth the failure prone re-engineered electronic key?
Since last post , key failed to turn again. But a few days later it worked fine again 4 or 5 days in a row but I did not drive it for fear of being stuck somewhere when it would not turn again. My question now is there a diagnostic a service tech can run to determine if there is a failure and if so is it the key or ignition. I'll start it and drive to the dealer and not turn it off and let them diagnose it but I'd like to know if a diagnostic can determine the problem or if I still have a problem. The only thing different is I now have a battery tender hooked up so the battery is probably fully charged.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL 500
Since last post , key failed to turn again. But a few days later it worked fine again 4 or 5 days in a row but I did not drive it for fear of being stuck somewhere when it would not turn again. My question now is there a diagnostic a service tech can run to determine if there is a failure and if so is it the key or ignition. I'll start it and drive to the dealer and not turn it off and let them diagnose it but I'd like to know if a diagnostic can determine the problem or if I still have a problem. The only thing different is I now have a battery tender hooked up so the battery is probably fully charged.
Looks like you will have to trust the dealer and hook it up to Star to find out. If there is an electronic problem Star will find it.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Just get a new ignition and key. It will set you back $1000 or so but then you won't be afraid

Why spend $300 in diagnostic just get it fixed
Old 02-12-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by tusabes
Just get a new ignition and key. It will set you back $1000 or so but then you won't be afraid

Why spend $300 in diagnostic just get it fixed
After sitting for last week, key would not turn again. Turned steering wheel and tried again and it turned and started. Is there a lock on the steering wheel? I turn the wheel and it doesn't seem to lock with a click. If I need a new EIS, so be it, but I don't want to replace something not broken
Old 09-06-2014, 02:40 PM

continuing to have same problem of key not turning in ignition but have isolated down to when battery is low. If car sits for a week or so key will not turn. Sometimes after 10 or 15 tries it will turn and it will start even though it barely turns over because of low battery. When I hook up battery tender and charge fully key turns and car starts. This is consistent. Am planning to sell car and would like to have it sorted out for new owner. Is this normal that a low battery will prevent key from turning even though battery is charged enough to turn it over to start? Any thoughts about this?
On another note, I've owned this car for 6 years and it has been a love/hate relationship. By far, it has been the most comfortable, best handling, feature rich, powerful and stylish car I ever owned. On the other hand, the frequent problems with electronics, ABC leaks costing thousands, oil cooler leak requiring partial engine pull at over 5000 and coil packs and being towed 5 times from home to the shop are causing me to throw in the towel. I just can't rely on it I have other cars which I believe is required so I always have wheels. Part of the problem perhaps is not driving it frequently enough. It is a 2002 cl600 with 76000 miles. That having been said, I would consider buying another one if issues have been sorted out in 2011-2012 models.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 PM

1999 E320 4Matic Sedan
after purchasing a new key and ignition you still need star to program both to the existing pcm and even then those might not be the problem. i wouldn't "part dart" it by any means just get it diagnosed and see what they say.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Yes a weak /low battery will cause the key not to turn. Your battery is likely nearing the end of its useful life , even though it tests ok after charging it

Get a brand new battery installed before selling it and the next owner shouldn't have problems