CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

PLEASE HELP -CL55 Secondary Cat Delete Problems

Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CL55
PLEASE HELP -CL55 Secondary Cat Delete Problems

Hey guys, please please read.

I saw a few videos and read a few forums on how great the cl sounds with the resonators and secondary cats removed. There were claims of no computer or check engine light issues, so I had it done. The car sounds incredible, I drove it all day today, it sat for a few hours, and then when I went to drive it , the check engine light was on, BAS, ABS, the whole shbang. The car will not accelerate, it seems to be in a limp safety mode. This is where it got weird. I turned the car off and back on. It accelerated normally, and only had the check engine light left on. After stopping it and starting it, its back to the limp mode. It is now chugging and idling at 2000rpm. I unhooked the battery overnight to reset the system Will putting my cats back on, and unhooking the battery get it back to normal? I need it on the road tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 156 Likes on 135 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
simply removing just your rear cats should not have done all of that. something else is wrong

the way the exhaust is designed on these cars is in a way that there's two o2 sensors before the first set of cats

and then there's two more o2 sensors directly after the first set of cats, but before the second cats

so technically the rear cats have no effect on oxygen levels the computer gets to read

my bet is whoever took off your rear cats ($50,000 fine in the US) might possibly be the culprit for why your car is acting like that.

my best guess - get under the car on jackstands and check out the wiring for your o2 sensors. they're very easy to find, merely the only wires coming out of the exhuast pipes under the car. look for frayed wiring

i don't think you need to put your rear cats back on. and doing so would be kind of redundant. if anything perhaps maybe look into an ECU tune to see if you need to adjust air and fuel ratios because of the lesser amount of backpressure now going on without the rear cats