CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ESP unit replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 CL55 AMG
ESP unit replacement

So my 2003 CL55 has been randomly going into LIMP mode and displaying an ESP visit workshop message for the entire time that I owned it. I have tried many things to rectify this issue but long story short the computer says that ESP unit is faulty and that it needs to be replaced.

The dealership wants $1,500 for the computer and $300 for the install and coding.

I can find used ESP units online for under $300 and have heard tell of Remanufactured ones that have warranties.

(The service adviser just texted me, the best price they can do is $1249.50 for the part and $246.50 for the labor)

So I have been told that these ESP units are hard coded to the car and once that is done it is permanent. My understanding of this is, I would need to find a ESP unit from a car identical to mine. "I have a 2003 CL55 with Distronic"

My questions are;
Can a used or remanufactured ESP unit be reprogramed?

Does anyone have any experience using a used or remanufactured ESP unit?

How much should I spend on this repair?
Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55 AMG; 1991 Previa
Originally Posted by Kahn95678
So my 2003 CL55 has been randomly going into LIMP mode and displaying an ESP visit workshop message for the entire time that I owned it. I have tried many things to rectify this issue but long story short the computer says that ESP unit is faulty and that it needs to be replaced.

The dealership wants $1,500 for the computer and $300 for the install and coding.

I can find used ESP units online for under $300 and have heard tell of Remanufactured ones that have warranties.

(The service adviser just texted me, the best price they can do is $1249.50 for the part and $246.50 for the labor)

So I have been told that these ESP units are hard coded to the car and once that is done it is permanent. My understanding of this is, I would need to find a ESP unit from a car identical to mine. "I have a 2003 CL55 with Distronic"

My questions are;
Can a used or remanufactured ESP unit be reprogramed?

Does anyone have any experience using a used or remanufactured ESP unit?

How much should I spend on this repair?
Let me know if you need an ESP unit. I am located in Elk Grove and I just parted out a 03 CL55. You don't need to reprogram ESP (I remember I didn't for my W211). I think a reputable MBZ repair shop will charge 1-1.5 hrs to reprogram if needed.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2003 CL55 AMG
Cool, thanks. How much do you want for it? And I am currently in Vegas and wont be back to Roseville until April, the car is also here. can you flat rate box it if I pay the shipping?