c215 Bootlid / Trunk Operation woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 AMG Kompressor
c215 Bootlid / Trunk Operation woes

Hi all,

I have had my CL55 AMG for over 2 years now and am on the whole very happy with it, with no reliability issues of substance.

I have just started using it as my daily runner though, so I am trying to iron out some small inconveniences / defects.

I have problems with my bootlid / trunk operation which appear to be slightly different to those I have read on forums

My bootlid (trunk) unlocks upon opening as one would expect.

50% of the time the bootlid will open by itself!
50% of the time it will only open about an inch, and requires a little help to actually open fully (At all times the pump runs audibly)

Being a face lifted c215, my car has arms on gas struts on brackets either side without a spring which I think earlier c215/w220's had

Interestingly, upon prompting the bootlid to open, the top RHS corner (adjacent the rear screen) pops-up / elevates immediately prior to the opening action.

This however doesn't happen on the LHS, and the plastic bootlid edge has worn away the paint and is actually deforming the aluminium body slightly at this point. This is only really visible while the boot lid is open.

I suspect that both sides of the bootlid should 'pop-up' initially, so that the bootlid doesn't foul the body. Is this correct.

I have checked the hydraulic pump and topped up with oil, with no improvement. Could there be a leak in the airline to one side?

Also, upon shutting the bootlid (with red button), it closes firmly without any immediately noticeable problems. However, after some driving, I will notice that the top RHS corner of the bootlid adjacent the rear screen is 'riding high' by typically a 1/4 of an inch, maybe more.

Lastly, about half of the time while I remotely lock the car, the indicators (repeaters) will flash quickly and continuously. To stop this I simply unlock the car and lock again which always prompts 3 solid flashes. Could this be related to my bootlid problems?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

James,
Aberdeen
Old 08-27-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CL55 AMG
The motor/pump that opens the trunk is only on the right side. That is why you see that corner pop first as it opens. The black shocks are to keep the trunk open. Once the pump completes the opening sequence, it does not apply any pressure to keep the trunk open.
Because of a short somewhere in my trunk wiring harness, my trunk doesn't know that it's open so I don't have a working interior light and the close button does not respond. As a result, I have to close the trunk manually which leaves the right corner "riding high" as you put it. I just press down firmly on that corner and it's lines up just fine.