CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

SERIOUS ABC ISSUE need help A.S.A.P!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500/w215 and S430/w220
SERIOUS ABC ISSUE need help A.S.A.P!!!!!!

Im a new member but have been following the forums for quite some time now ...I have an ABC situation that some of you may have some sort of insight to as I will probably have to do the majority of my ABC repairs myself if possible ... Here is the situation as follows.... 2002 CL500 125000 miles had it for about a year now with no problems at all....The ABC system was working fine up until 2 months ago when suddenly my front passenger strut would randomly raise to an extremely high position in idle or if i drove into a dip or over a bump too fast... did not get any kind of ABC warning when this happened but I would have to cut the car off then back on and the strut would come back to normal level..... a month later my ABC (white/blue then red) light came on while the strut was raising high and restarting it didnt solve the problem and the car then proceeded to sink to the ground... I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was black and smelled burnt (contaminated) and fluid had come back up through the resivoir(accumulator failure possibly) so I left it alone started the car the next day and it lifted up enough (front driver strut was locked in the same extremely high position as before when it lifted backup off the ground) for me to get it to the indy shop that I go to for repair and service of my vehicles (specializing in only mercedes but I dont think they are completely well versed on ABC systems as in they know about them but obviously in this situation not enough to fix this problem) and they ran the star diagnostic and found that the pump was dead and putting out no pressure so they ordered a NEW pump... and during the time I was waiting for the pump and getting it back to the shop (about a week) my rear driver side strut completely went down (no known leaks anywhere from the strut either.. i know they have travel sensor issues so that could be a possibility or stuck or dirty rear valve block issue) and the front passenger strut was locked and raised in an extremely high position.. so they put the new pump on and there is no response at all when the height level adjustment button is pressed and the car is still locked very high on the front passenger strut and sagging extremwly low on the rear driver strut and the red abc light came back on and stayed. so they tried to find out what was going on with STAR and found that the pump was putting out good pressure but that was it and also found a few codes but I didnt bother to get them in my moment of severe frustration ($1,350) since they told me they didnt know what else to do but go to the dealer for repair.. They even swapped an ABC control module (possible culprit) from another CL500 and still the same thing.... So now I am on my own with it and am going to let a dealer diagnose it and go from there... from what I read here I am leaning towards a valve block (both)/accumulator(rear)/pressure valve/pulsation damper (any or all) type malfunction but I was hoping that some of you might have some insight on this situation.. also I dont think the fluid was flushed when they replaced the pump nor did they do a ABC system bleed. ......on the paperwork it just says that they added 3 liters of new fluid..and I know how critically important flushing the fluid and or bleeding the system is during these repairs to get out contaminated fluid and or debris and im almost certain that my system is still contaminated with dirty fluid/debris being that the pre repair fluid was blackish brown... once I take it to the dealer and get the codes then I will have a better idea and be able to post them in order to get some assistance..... I DIY repaired/replaced the airmatic suspension (struts,valve block, pump)on my 02 S430 but ABC is a whole different ball game of its own that I am willing to work on and repair myself if possible and I need all the help I can get...I have been studying the forums so I can come up with a gameplan and get this thing rolling again. thanks in advanced and any insightht would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
First step is to see what the mb dealer diagnostic tells you is bad

To me it never sounded like a bad pump if it would raise the car, much more likely a bad valve block or sensor
Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
check your fluid. is it still brown? they added a lot of fluid. seems like they did a flush. ask them. height sensor may be an issue. star should show this.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2001 Mercedes CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
Originally Posted by biker349
check your fluid. is it still brown? they added a lot of fluid. seems like they did a flush. ask them. height sensor may be an issue. star should show this.
If they only added 3 liters, the fluid is most likely still brown. A full flush takes approx. 10.4 liters (11 quarts) according to some comments.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL500/w215 and S430/w220
Ok and if the valve blocks are the culprit would I need to flush the old fliud out before or after replacing the valve blocks as the car does not respond at all when I press the height level adjustment button or would I even need to use the button during flushing?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
The car should be hooked up to the star DAS computer and use the rodeo setting when flushing -not the raise/lower button . The rodeo activate all four corners of the car. Sometimes just a flush and rodeo will unstick valve blocks

if the car cannot even do the rodeo when connected to the computer you have other issues. The mb dealer should be able to tell you if the car can do rodeo when they diagnose it
Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 CL55
With STAR they'll be able to tell all that is wrong with the ABC and anything else on the car. Just be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Either way it'll be some $$$. Good luck with solving the problem and keep us informed.