Brake Pads Recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL500
Brake Pads Recommendation

Hello guys,

I need to replace my front brake pads as they are worn out (2003 CL) . Is there better brake pads than the OEM pads ? Mainly concerned with stopping power.

Also would i be able to put front amg calipers ? or is the brake module different for the amg line.

Please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-26-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
If you ask 10 guys who drive aggressively and have experimented with different pads, you will likely get at least 6 or 7 different answers.

Before making a decision, you probably need to expand a bit on your criteria. You only mentioned one: stopping power. Is this car only driven on the street? Most any decent pad will stop the car just fine without drama if it is just one panic stop. Where the higher end pads shine is repeated stopping. At some point you get into extremes, where the racing style pads really don't work great until they are heated up by repeated use. I wouldn't want that on a street car.

You also didn't mention brake dust. That is normally one of the trade offs. The Bosch ceramic pads work well, and at least the dust they put off is not black, so if you still have silver wheels, the dust blends in well.

I used to use PBR deluxe on my vintage 745i (factory turbo full size Bimmer) until I drove it really aggressively one day on several back to back clover leaf / off ramp / on ramp with repeatedly hard braking. Started fading, and that is a little scary when you are not expecting it. The PBR metalmaster works great, but much more black dust and they kill rotors.

Nothing wrong with the original MB pads, but they do put off some nasty dust. If the dust isn't an issue for you, you will at least get a good compromise of braking performance and the same feel you are used to.

Being new to the MB world, I can't help on the interchange of one caliper to another. Bet someone here can though.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
The oem pads have good stopping power but terrible dust . As stated its a trade off

The akebono pads and Bosch ceramics have much less visible dust but generally not the same stopping power
Old 02-28-2016, 12:01 AM

2003 CL500
Alternatives

Thank you LynnBilodeau and tusabes for your replies.

In regards to your comments, i have no issue with brake dust i wash my car often.

Now having the need to replace my pads, I want to purchase best brake pads in terms of stopping power for safety and i also tend to drive agreessive and brake hard at times.

The simple logic for me is why not buy the best (of course reasonable price nothing above $200 for just pads. )

Long story short i have been left confused with my research therefore i think i will be going with Brembo P50041N. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151576836394?item=151576836394&viewitem=&vxp=mtr
Now both ebay and amazaon claim these will fit my car but i am confused as i seen 2 different shapes for brake pads that are saying will fit my car.

Tomorrow i am hoping to look at my car to make sure i purchase correct pair.

Please any info you guys might have will be great to hear.

Thanks guys (Love you all)
Old 02-28-2016, 08:39 AM

SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
Part of the problem for you getting conflicting fitment answers may be a mid year change. When looking on RockAuto, I noticed some pads were for cars "To Chassis/VIN A028699" and other were for cars "From Chassis # A028700". Apparently there was a mid year change. Mostly just for rears, but some of the fronts have the same fitment note.

Also, MANY vendors post a "stock photo" that may or may not match the actual part you are purchasing.

Now, I also see in your OP that you are only replacing fronts. Personally, I don't like mixing brands front and rear (others may differ, just one of my things). If I were only replacing fronts, I would go with the same brand and style as I was replacing.

tusabes can probably tell you, but I would GUESS the original pads are ATE.

If you are purchasing locally, you have the luxury of taking the old parts with you to match up. Buying on line always involves some fitment risk.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:56 PM

2003 CL500
Thanks

As an update, I wasnt aware the pads mercedes pads were ATE, I was able to confirm when i removed one of them. Also was able to confirm the shape would match the brembo one's i was considering.

After that i purchased the pads and they just came in today. Will be changing them tomorrow and will keep you guys updated in terms of performance compared to the original ATE
Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 PM

Nothing wrong with the ATE pads if you don't mind the dark brake dust. That's what came on my vintage 745i as well as the 83 Ferrari 400i. The calipers are also ATE.