CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Idler seized and Melted away

Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes CL500
Unhappy Idler seized and Melted away

Good morning everyone,

Been snooping around here for years and loving your community so far. Bought an old 2003 CL500 which had it's idler seize up on me today. I immediately pulled over, shut down the engine BEFORE the temperatures hit over 80*C and saw that my idler completely melted away.

I had my car towed to my parking spot and just spun all the pulleys by hand. I noticed that the alternator and the belt tensioner rotates freely but the Tandem Pump and the A/C Compressor pump isn't as free. I was wondering if this is a sign of possible bearing failure. Please bear in mind that this is the first time I am doing this so I apologize if I'm asking silly questions. The belt tensioner does make a bit of a scraping sound despite the fact that it spins freely so I'm assuming that's shot as well.

The Car has a 185,000Km on it with nothing but Oil changes done on it. I recently did a soft flush of the ABC system by siphoning fluid out of the reservoir and replacing it with about 3 quarts of Pentosin CHF11s.

Is there anything more I should be aware of?

Looking forward to a great response from the community.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Idler pulled are a common issue. So is the tensioner. You can get stock replacements for cheap, or upgrade to billet ones from Speedriven.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I change all these parts out every 75,000 miles.