CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

It's about time I actually got my 600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 C300
It's about time I actually got my 600

Well, after a month of trying to get the car sorted and down here, I finally got it down to me in Maryland. The twin turbo V12 certainly is a singularly unique experience to drive. If you're not coming off the line, there really isn't much to tell you how quickly you are actually building speeds. My passengers didn't even seem to notice a quick sprint to 80 from 35. Left in comfort, it requires a surprising amount of throttle input to get going, but even in sport smooth driving is easy for even the most ham fisted of drivers.

At freeway speed, it's locked into it's lane like a teutonic cruise missile. Coming from a 2011 A8(and borrowing my brother's 2005,) I wasn't ready for how much quieter the CL would be. The massage function is not as good and the adaptive cruise is certainly missed, but even so, it's the most serene highway car I've ever driven. You feel like an outside observer to the world as it passes.

In keeping with comparing it to what I know, I would say that the bigger Audi is the more lithe of the two, proven the more responsive partner for those twisty mountain roads. The CL simply lacks the feedback to inspire confidence, it's a car that the limit feels closer than it is. The straight line performance, however, absolutely blows the A8 out of the water. Of the luxury cars I've driven, only the twin turbo S8 can beat it, albeit at quadruple the cost, in the current market.

The tech in the Mercedes isn't as intuitive or as comprehensive as my newer Audi was, with the lack of any kind of auxiliary input for the stereo of particular annoyance. The speakers provide good clarity, and decent bass, but the A8 provides a better surround experience. The smaller and more numerous buttons mean your attention is diverted from the road more than it is with the AMI system, but some of that will pass with familiarity. The less intuitive menu structure makes for a steeper learning curve, as well. A bluetooth puck is high on my list of wants, it looks like it had something installed at one time, but is now gone. Overall, it's a fine car, and should do well as a replacement for my much adored Audi.

So far, there are some things with the car I have addressed and things I have yet to address.
Solved-inboard passenger tail light out, due to corrosion from a cracked seal
Solved-unclogged cowl drain(thanks for cuing me into that one, guys)
Needed-bluetooth(need to find out which I need, several types seem to be available)
Needed-post purchase maintenance and checks(any pointers are appreciated, it's up to 54,000 now and I am fairly handy)
Needed-Diagnostics system
Needed-Shop manual(no idea where to find the right one)
Needed-Diagnose failure in windshield washer fluid delivery
Needed-Diagnose failed driver's soft close(pulling fuse and putting back did nothing)
Needed-Various missing clips and fasteners, reaffix headliner to rear center clip(epoxy, maybe?)
Needed-6-disc changer tray(changer is there, the thing you put discs in isn't. If I did away with the changer, is there a way to put in an aux input for an old iPod I can leave in the trunk?)
Needed-New key for keyless go
To Do-swap rims and tires to standard AMG 5-spokes from the 5-spoke turbinesque ones it currently has.

I'm sure I haven't thought of everything, so we'll see how it goes. I must say, I love the stealth rocket thing. I look forward to learning from the experts I see around here as I get these things solved one by one. Being an older V12, I'm sure at some point I will require your help to avoid depending on the very expensive dealership.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Sounds like you're on the right track. Remember to try local auto shops for parts before you spend the $ at the dealer. They have more than you think!
Old 06-14-2016, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
The soft close is likely the cracked plastic actuator in the door

The diagnostic computer you have a cheap and expensive option
Cheap is x431 launch, which has limited ability but is only about $100 and uses your tablet or smartphone with Bluetooth connecting
Better but much more expensive is the star DAS clone computers which cost $600 or so and are just like the oem Mercedes diagnostic system but have a steep learning curve

Yes you can replace the cd changer with an aux input for phone or iPod or sd card

As far as maintenance , change the abc and ps fluid and filters (there are two next to each other ) and change the transmission fluid and filter by dropping the pan, and Change the transmission electrical plug

How to videos are here
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ir-videos.html

Maybe a coolant and brake fluid flush , and That's about all you need

Last edited by tusabes; 06-14-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Originally Posted by Jack_88
Left in comfort, it requires a surprising amount of throttle input to get going, but even in sport smooth driving is easy for even the most ham fisted of drivers.
Feels like its got the wrong torque convertor, doesn't it? You need to get some speed under the back wheels before its starts to work.
I would say that the bigger Audi is the more lithe of the two, proven the more responsive partner for those twisty mountain roads. The CL simply lacks the feedback to inspire confidence, it's a car that the limit feels closer than it is.

-swap rims and tires to standard AMG 5-spokes from the 5-spoke turbinesque ones it currently has.
I strongly recommend fitting the wider rear wheels and tyres to the front as well. It does absolute wonders for the handling, makes it seem balanced and agile, rather than nose-heavy and reluctant to turn in.
Being an older V12, I'm sure at some point I will require your help to avoid depending on the very expensive dealership.
You can count on that! Make sure you read this thread - every problem can be anticipated, avoided or rectified without depending on dealers or warranties.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html

Nick
Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 PM

2018 C300
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Feels like its got the wrong torque convertor, doesn't it? You need to get some speed under the back wheels before its starts to work.
I thought something was wrong the first time I drove it. Got used to it quick, though.

I strongly recommend fitting the wider rear wheels and tyres to the front as well. It does absolute wonders for the handling, makes it seem balanced and agile, rather than nose-heavy and reluctant to turn in.
I had to put new tires on it before it could make the drive to Maryland from Michigan, it's got brand new Continental all seasons(it's my daily, including this winter.) I was hesitant to stray from stock size, but next time I need tires, I'll upsize. The Challenger satisfies my sporting needs plenty well, for now. One of those tunes will quickly make that the slower car, though...

You can count on that! Make sure you read this thread - every problem can be anticipated, avoided or rectified without depending on dealers or warranties.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html

Nick
Done and done. I will be combing through everything this weekend, and establishing what parts I will need and figuring out where to get them, same for the fluids. Also, I need to find a shop manual. I paid for a warranty once, sold it back to the company after being denied twice in a row due to exceptions found on page 22. I won't get tricked again. I do appreciate your efforts in making those posts, Nick, that will be of enormous help.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 PM

2018 C300
I'll get a proper clean on it at some point, here and put the pictures up in the appropriate thread. But here are the wheels I was coming from and the ones I just put on tonight. I much prefer the ones I put on. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the car from an aesthetic standpoint.

The old.

The new.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Yeah the standard AMG wheels look perfect on the car IMO. I love mine.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Those are the Amg wheels from the sedan, with the flat flush wheel face . They do look better !

The CL Amg option rims have lips and an inset face , with deep dish lips , wider lips in the rear

It's about time I actually got my 600-72d2e50f-319f-4c7b-a478-4d71cb62562a_zpspp6zwz0l.jpg
Old 06-15-2016, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
My two AMG package '03 CL600s had the flat wheels. As have all the other ones I've ever seen personally.

It's about time I actually got my 600-20150609_192805.jpg
Old 06-15-2016, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Interesting , all the ones I've seen have the lips , like eBay item 262411769917

Looks like they fitted both types of rims
Old 06-16-2016, 07:10 AM

2018 C300
Does anyone know what the old ones came off of? They were marked with the Mercedes tristar and made in Germany.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
I think they were optional on an SL, I know i've seen them before.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:27 AM

2018 C300
I think you're right, Joe. I have one more thing to add to my list. I notice the driver's rear seems to be a bit lower than the other corners(not just in the morning, it's still lower even after driving.) Also, there seems to be a noise when I pull out of my driveway(there's a drop from drive to street) in the morning from that corner but none over any other bumps the rest of the day. The noise sounds comparable to a ball going back into socket.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 PM

2018 C300
Originally Posted by tusabes
Yes you can replace the cd changer with an aux input for phone or iPod or sd card
I'll have to look for someone who's done it and shared how, I'm sure getting it to play through the speakers is simple enough but can you get the stock controls to work for it?

Originally Posted by tusabes
As far as maintenance , change the abc and ps fluid and filters (there are two next to each other ) and change the transmission fluid and filter by dropping the pan, and Change the transmission electrical plug
Very helpful. I found the filters easy enough, but in my searching, I found 4 different brands for ABC fluid. I'm trying to figure out if there's a difference between them. I know the system uses quite a lot of it, so saving a couple bucks/liter makes a difference.

Is the transmission in the 600's the same as the one in the 500's listed in the sticky, at least as far as fluid type, capacity, filter, and plug?
Old 06-16-2016, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Yes the transmission in the 600 is the 5 speed from the early 500, before the 500 and 430 started using the weaker 7 speed

Abc and PS fluid is pentosin chf11s and the cheapest place to get the large jug is on Amazon
Old 06-17-2016, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
The transmission on the S55K, S600 & S65 is an uprated version of the ubiquitous 5-speeder. It has a lot of similarities and commonalities with other versions, but there are some significant differences. Surprisingly, it has a LOWER fluid capacity - 8 qts vs 9 qts. Can't think why.

There are lots of brands of CHF11S, but only Pentosin is approved by MB. That's what I use, because the UK importer sells it in economic 5 litre cans, but having read all the competitors data sheets, I would have no hesitation in using Fuchs CHF11S instead for example. Its not a demanding application like engine or transmission oil.

Nick